Wisdom Teeth

89 MJ

Had all of them removed, 2 as a teen and 2 in the air force. The last one was impacted and they broke it into with a hammer and chisel, I thought they were kidding when 

they said they were going to do that. "they were not". The next day I looked like I had been in a fight with a prize fighter. The right side of my jaw was black from where they had me back it up with my fist.:grrrrrr: I trust you had a better experience.:laugh:

10 minutes ago, olddude said:

Had all of them removed, 2 as a teen and 2 in the air force. The last one was impacted and they broke it into with a hammer and chisel, I thought they were kidding when 

they said they were going to do that. "they were not". The next day I looked like I had been in a fight with a prize fighter. The right side of my jaw was black from where they had me back it up with my fist.:grrrrrr: I trust you had a better experience.:laugh:

That is insane! Mine was much better. I was in and out in less than two hours and I’m already feeling pretty good. 

When I got mine out they also removed four other teeth (just didn’t have enough room lol), so I got a total of eight teeth removed all at once. Honestly was not that bad until I developed two dry sockets from where two of my wisdom teeth were. Worst pain I’ve ever felt :sad2:

Did all four in the chair in one session when I was 19. Top two came out okay, but the lowers were badly impacted, basically had the roots pointed straight back and deep in my jaw. No anesthesiologist on site so all they gave me was freezing, but they gave me the full dose right away and the lowers took an hour each to shatter and dig the roots out, by which point the freezing had long since worn off. Said they couldn’t legally give me more without the anesthesiologist present so I got to experience the whole process for the last one, and they had a hell of a time on those roots, they’d grab a piece and it would break off on them. Two stitches on both sides to close the bottom holes, took a week before I could chew solid foods again. I was spitting blood when I brushed my teeth a few times a week up to a month later.

I haven’t been back to that dentist.

1 hour ago, sammisox said:

When I got mine out they also removed four other teeth (just didn’t have enough room lol), so I got a total of eight teeth removed all at once. Honestly was not that bad until I developed two dry sockets from where two of my wisdom teeth were. Worst pain I’ve ever felt :sad2:

I’m hoping I don’t develop any dry sockets. 

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

Did all four in the chair in one session when I was 19. Top two came out okay, but the lowers were badly impacted, basically had the roots pointed straight back and deep in my jaw. No anesthesiologist on site so all they gave me was freezing, but they gave me the full dose right away and the lowers took an hour each to shatter and dig the roots out, by which point the freezing had long since worn off. Said they couldn’t legally give me more without the anesthesiologist present so I got to experience the whole process for the last one, and they had a hell of a time on those roots, they’d grab a piece and it would break off on them. Two stitches on both sides to close the bottom holes, took a week before I could chew solid foods again. I was spitting blood when I brushed my teeth a few times a week up to a month later.

I haven’t been back to that dentist.

I wouldn’t go back either. That sounds terrible. 

I had all four at one setting. I did Laughing gas, so I was awake the whole time. The first tooth came right out. Then each one after was more difficult. They had to section them. I remember one being half way out. I drove home and them on an airplane that evening. Not the best thing to do. 

It is thought we have trouble with wisdom teeth because our jaws bones are not large enough for them.  Before we evolved to where we are today, our jaws were larger when our food was less prepared. Eventually our descendants probably won't be born with wisdom teeth.

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

I had all four at one setting. I did Laughing gas, so I was awake the whole time. The first tooth came right out. Then each one after was more difficult. They had to section them. I remember one being half way out. I drove home and them on an airplane that evening. Not the best thing to do. 

The doctors wouldn’t let that fly anymore. And it sounds like quite the idea. 

43 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

It is thought we have trouble with wisdom teeth because our jaws bones are not large enough for them.  Before we evolved to where we are today, our jaws were larger when our food was less prepared. Eventually our descendants probably won't be born with wisdom teeth.

I already know a few people that were born without them. It’s interesting. 

hypothetically speaking we could eventually lose them out of future generations, but the problem is that it's no long darwinism since if the 4 teeth are ever a problem to someone, we simply pull them.  being born without them isn't the genetic advantage that it might have been eons ago.  :dunno: 

I had mine done when I was 21 and my dentist did one side at a time, told me I could still chew on the other side, might have been true if I wanted to chew but didn't want to chew anything, having to go through that twice really sucked. Our daughter had hers all taken out at the same time by an oral surgeon this last summer, she is 18,  they had her in and out in an hour. Just be sure to get food down, she is a picky eater and wouldn't eat anything, fainted and did a face plant on the hardwood floor the next morning. The floor was fine.

14 hours ago, buxmj said:

I had mine done when I was 21 and my dentist did one side at a time, told me I could still chew on the other side, might have been true if I wanted to chew but didn't want to chew anything, having to go through that twice really sucked. Our daughter had hers all taken out at the same time by an oral surgeon this last summer, she is 18,  they had her in and out in an hour. Just be sure to get food down, she is a picky eater and wouldn't eat anything, fainted and did a face plant on the hardwood floor the next morning. The floor was fine.

Oof, I’m sure that was a bloody mess. 

40 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Our daughter had hers all taken out at the same time by an oral surgeon

An oral surgeon is the only way to go for wisdom teeth, root canals and crowns.  These procedures are not straight dental work. 

I still have one.  Tons of room In my mouth for them but the rest of my molars had gotten bad when I was post college and had no dental insurance and got to the point that it was better and cheaper to just remove everything behind the first molar on each side.  The one I still have came in late after that and seems to be happy hanging out by itself.  

I had my lowers out in the Marine Corps right before I retired, after avoiding it for decades.  I opted to remain conscious with local numbing.  Kind of glad I did.  They had a heck of a time getting them out, which I guess happens.  But the nurse who was assisting the dentist... something about her didn't sit right with me before the operation.  During the operation, as they were struggling to get the teeth out, she put her fist against my face to gain leverage, I guess.  She basically had her knuckles dug into my upper lip, smashing it into my teeth.  I endured it as long as I could, and finally lightly tapped her leg with my hand, like tapping out while sparring.  She jumped like she'd been shot. Gave me a dirty look.  The doctor looked at her, at me, back at her, and figured out what had been going on.  He was like, "you ok?".  I nodded.

The next day, my lip was fat, like I'd taken a punch.  The nurse never apologized, never said a word.  I really got the feeling she didn't care one way or the other.  Really made me glad I stayed conscious.  Had I been out, I would have had a fat lip and no idea.

My lower left WT never grew in. My jaw was broken in an accident when I was 5. The other 3 grew in without any problems. My dentist didn’t like the fact that the upper left had nothing opposing it. He said it would just keep growing downward. He yanked it out. Now I’m unbalanced. (Not the first time I’ve been told that.)

Had mine removed by an Army dentist just before I was discharged.  I only had 3 and thank god for that.  The next 2 days were memorably miserable in spite of the fact that it was 52 years ago.  Said they had to cut away part of my jaw to get them out. 

I had mine pulled out by an army dentist. They accidentally shattered one and had  to pull the little bits out. They only offered local anesthetic. 

I was on a small base and a lot of my platoon had to get them pulled before going to Iraq. It was the fast food of dentistry.

It wasn't worse than the time the nurse was chatting and let the curing light rest on my lip resulting in a burn. Probably one of the fillings that fell out since it never got cured lol.