so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

3 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Wait, isn't leaking a requirement for a Jeep?

It's funny how things turn out.  

I've had a leak in my Chevy truck for... well, over a year.  I always figured it was the rear main seal, or perhaps oil pan gasket on the engine.  Just a few drops every time I park it.  Since it has always burned about a quart between oil changes, I always keep an eye on the level during long trips, and just lived with the leak.

Then, two weeks ago, I developed a really nasty power steering fluid leak.  Couldn't determine exactly where from, but I went ahead and replaced the pump.  It may have been the original (330,000 miles!), and once I got it off, determined it was definitely leaking from the shaft seal.

Aaaaand, then the next day I drive 1.5 hours to Springfield, park and discover I STILL have a nasty power steering leak, AND a coolant leak.  Baby it home, stopping to top off both, and tear into it again.

The water pump gasket on the pass side bank let go.  No idea if it was original, doesn't seem likely, but could have been.  I remember leaning pretty hard on the water pump while replacing the PS pump, maybe that prompted the leak?  Doesn't seem likely, but replaced the water pump & belt.

PS leak tuned out to be the PS cooler.  It looked ok from the front, but the back was completely rusted out.  Replaced with a junkyard unit I just happened to have on hand.

Now, two weeks later, apparently the Chevy is leak free!  I guess that leak had been PS all along.  The success of the work and the novelty of having a leak free vehicle is what prompted me to tear into the CJ7.

Today I cleaned up or repotted some of my carnivorous plants.

Venus Fly Traps (mostly):

IMG_7019.jpg

American Pitcher Plants:

IMG_7249.jpg

More American Pitcher Plants:

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7252.jpg

Sundews

IMG_7256.jpg

And still need to clean up these.

Tropical Pitcher Plants:

IMG_7254.jpg

Yanked the valve cover back off the Focus to diagnose/fix the oil leak.  It looks like the gasket got out of place behind the rear (intake) cam valley, right where it was leaking.  Spent an hour getting everything squeaky clean again, reseated the gasket and added a dab of RTV black and put it all together.  I'll drive it to work in the morning and see if it's still leaking or not.

I also sewed my tomato seeds in individual little cups with some potting soil.  I'm going to try to get them in the ground earlier this year, hopefully in about 25-30 days from now.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:53 AM, gogmorgo said:

getting another Lada,

not sure I thought I'd ever hear those particular words  :laugh:

today I split all that lumber.  My back is killin' me, but it's waaaaaaaay better than if I had tried to do it with a maul.  :D  I forgot to snap a pic, but I go back in the morning to return the splitter so I've got another chance.

not sure I thought I'd ever hear those particular words 

today I split all that lumber.  My back is killin' me, but it's waaaaaaaay better than if I had tried to do it with a maul.    I forgot to snap a pic, but I go back in the morning to return the splitter so I've got another chance.
I learned as a teenager I didn't like splitting wood. As an adult I decided as long as I can pay Duke Energy, I ain't splitting anymore wood. And I haven't in the last 30 years. More power to ya.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

7 hours ago, tugboat95 said:

I learned as a teenager I didn't like splitting wood. As an adult I decided as long as I can pay Duke Energy, I ain't splitting anymore wood. And I haven't in the last 30 years. More power to ya.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

My sister came up with a good saying.

"That's a problem I can solve with money."

By all means if you like doing something, enjoy it.  I totally understand the satisfaction of splitting a cord of wood so you can feed the fire yourself.  I do it once in a while myself.  But most of the time I pay the gas company so I can have a machine take care of heating my house and I don't have to do anything.

Well In anticipation for Indiana's shutdown, I ordered a bunch of tubing and flat stock to make hitches, sliders and bumpers.

I was hired Saturday to make a couple hand rails so this morning I ordered the tubing but since indiana is shutting down tomorrow, looks like I won't get it...

So I'll be building stuff for stock, cleaning the shop, running some wire for more lights in there and doing little stuff around the house...boo

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Working on myself while I am holed up!

I am able to work remotely for my job, but I forgot to turn on remote screen sharing, again, on the work computer before I got stuck in quarantine out in Houston.  So I have to install all of my work's development environment on my personal laptop.

22 hours ago, Pete M said:

not sure I thought I'd ever hear those particular words  :laugh:

today I split all that lumber.  My back is killin' me, but it's waaaaaaaay better than if I had tried to do it with a maul.  :D  I forgot to snap a pic, but I go back in the morning to return the splitter so I've got another chance.

Definitely not something any sane person would say, no. 

I split about a cord and a third of wood by hand last spring. Tedious for sure. Don’t remember how long it took but it was spread out over a few sessions, and my body wasn’t too excited about it.  Fortunately it was standing dead pine, so it split easy, and I didn’t need to swing a maul around, just a 4-lb axe. I wouldn't want to repeat that with a hardwood. 

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

swing a maul around, just a 4-lb axe. I wouldn't want to repeat that with a hardwood.

My family used to heat with wood all winter long. Elm was their favorite to cut. And my dad owned a homemade (not joking or exaggerating here) 20lb monster maul. Every winter we split well over 10 cords. The bad winters we got close to 15 probably. But I am a weird guy that truly enjoys splitting wood. Nothing quite like it.

BTW, for anyone that doesn't know, elm is awful to split by hand. Lot of intertwined fibers that resist being split. Hence the 20lbs of maul to 'persuade' them. I loved the days when we cut an oak, hedge, or ash.

10 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

BTW, for anyone that doesn't know, elm is awful to split by hand. Lot of intertwined fibers that resist being split. Hence the 20lbs of maul to 'persuade' them. I loved the days when we cut an oak, hedge, or ash.

indeed.  elm is so awful that this one guy that stopped by with a power splitter to take some free wood (from the old house like 20 years ago) gave up after just a couple logs.  :doh:

3 hours ago, mnkyboy said:

Last few days I've been working on reassembling this.

Nice.   I just posted this pic of one of my old MGB's on another forum thread about bridges.

img008.jpg

• Pete M changed the title to so what projects are y'all working on?