Tail Lights

It definitely looks more early 80s with the XJ light.  

Agreed, a plastic insert for mounting and a clear rounded lens over top to smooth the corner up close would make it look original.  From this far back it looks like it belongs there.

I've thought about making some sort of metal adapter to easily allow use of another vehicle's housings.  I've dreamed for years about grabbing a bunch of different taillights from a junkyard and trying them on an MJ bed, but the last couple times I was in a 'yard with an MJ bed, I was too exhausted to remember to do it. :( 

12 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

99MJ7_zps256095f5.jpg

Off the point question, i notice something different with the bumper and i can tell it custom make look like it came off 97+ XJ style, do u have more or know who owned this truck? I would like see more detail on rear bumper.

28 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

That lens looks better than original ones. Top follows slop of ridge on fender. Do you know what it came out of?

Just an image on google........don't know anything about the truck.

That corner has been completely reworked, whatever that tail light is out of it did not just slip in. 

The tailgate does not look original either and the third brake light is also from something else. 

Tow truck in background and shop number on back window..........looks like body shop/wrecker service/salvage yard.......MJ owner has resources and talent. 

45 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Tow truck in background and shop number on back window..........looks like body shop/wrecker service/salvage yard.......MJ owner has resources and talent. 

The ubiquitous JeepDriver has the skill set and talent. If you see phone number, mind posting it or pm it?

Anyone recognize what the tail light came out of? It looks like the caliber lens that MJs should have come with in the beginning.

I remember doing a little looking around when I saw that photo a few years ago. IIRC that truck was COMPLETELY converted to a 97-01 cherokee. Meaning tailights, interior, exterior, etc. Anything that the person could bring over from the XJ he did. There was also a rumor that the truck was re-titled to be a 97-01 Comanche. The only one to every have that designation. Not sure if the titling part is true, but the body did look updated and it all seemed to fit and flow. Who knows how much money went into it though...

On 8/15/2019 at 8:50 AM, MJXJjeepguy said:

Off the point question, i notice something different with the bumper and i can tell it custom make look like it came off 97+ XJ style, do u have more or know who owned this truck? I would like see more detail on rear bumper.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/341484192538182?view=permalink&id=2757552087598035&fs=1&focus_composer=0

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 9:06 PM, Pete M said:

I've thought about making some sort of metal adapter to easily allow use of another vehicle's housings.  I've dreamed for years about grabbing a bunch of different taillights from a junkyard and trying them on an MJ bed, but the last couple times I was in a 'yard with an MJ bed, I was too exhausted to remember to do it. :( 

Pete I've been trying to get my hands on a few different types of Cadillac led tails that look like an adaptaptable size with a insert possibly bolted to it. The problem is the trunks are always electronic so when they are there to nab I never have a power source with me.

3 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

Pete I've been trying to get my hands on a few different types of Cadillac led tails that look like an adaptaptable size with a insert possibly bolted to it. The problem is the trunks are always electronic so when they are there to nab I never have a power source with me.

do you have a battery power ed drill?

Most trunks have an emergency latch you can pull from inside, assuming you can get into it via a passthrough or even pulling the rear seat.

But you can also use a 12v tool battery like Pete suggests. The Dewalt ones are good because you  can push a spade terminal into the contacts, I imagine similar setups can be rigged for other batteries as well. Then you use aligator clips or whatever to clamp to the battery cables. It's not going to start the engine but it'll usually be enough to power windows, door locks, trunk latches, etc. 

Milwaukee M12 batteries also accept male quick connect terminals on the top. I've made up a bunch of different leads to test different things with one. I normally have a bag with test harnesses for overhead consoles, Jeep and Ford radios of various eras, etc. The junkyards I go to usually pull every single fuse out of the vehicles, so "powering up" the vehicle itself usually isn't practical.

It's fun to see people's reactions to me powering up various electronics in a junkyard. If I'm gonna be there a while, I've been known to find a radio and hook it up to the antenna and speakers of the vehicle I'm pulling parts from.

8 minutes ago, Minuit said:

It's fun to see people's reactions to me powering up various electronics in a junkyard. If I'm gonna be there a while, I've been known to find a radio and hook it up to the antenna and speakers of the vehicle I'm pulling parts from.

Soooo much like here!

8 hours ago, Red Mistress said:

I bought the dewalt version for my 12v batts. :L:  it's fantastic!