Tail Lights

Has anyone tried to find the original manufacturer of MJ tail lights?  Hopefully, they might still be in business.  If the mold could be located there is a chance that a batch of tail lights could be made if the run does not have to be of mammoth proportions.  Alternatively, the mold possibly could be purchased if it is not already destroyed.  With Pete's money to buy the mold,  someone might be able to have a business, albeit a small one.  If you could buy a new set of taillights for $250, how many might find that of interest?  If not $250, at what price?  

Have a look at this tail light reproduction on a smaller scale.  The video is high quality and the guy obviously knows what he is doing.  With the pressure pod and 60psi compressor, his process is available on a smaller scale.

I work in plastic injection molding and can tell you it would be very difficult convincing a company to put up the money to do this even if they already have the mold and press.  I can almost guarantee the mold is long gone at this point but if they could be located it would be worth asking them.

Hypothetically if the mold could be found and purchased and didn't need repaired, it wouldn't be cheap to buy or ship.  Then you'd have to find a custom molding company to do it and you'd have to put up the money for them to do it and it wouldn't be cheap.

Honestly would probably be less work and cheaper to reverse engineer them and get a company in China to make them.

19 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Come on guys, does no one have any idea who made tail lights for MJs?  

Call Chrysler and ask, but I doubt they will relinquish that info to you. Usually the back of the housing will say who or what from the numbers. There is all sorts of stampings and words on the taillight that can help you identify the manufacture, if not then we will just need to make a new mold and chances are the company won’t have the mold. Chrysler dropped almost all support for the MJ as soon as they could. Despite Chrysler saying the taillights were discontinued back in ‘07 I’m willing to bet they were not available after ‘05

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Usually the back of the housing will say who or what. There is all sorts of stampings and words on the taillight that can help you identify the manufacture. 

Anyone have a tail light to check for the manufacturer and numbers?  Both the lens and the back part.  It is unlikely that Chrysler made the part.  There is a chance the mold is buried in a warehouse somewhere of the manufacturer.  That name would provide a place to start a search.

eagleschout526, I am going to try to locate the original mold if it still exists.  If you have good pictures that can capture the name and numbers that would be great

Some automotive trivia:  On August 12, 1908, Ford introduced the model T.  No fuel pump, no oil pump, no water pump 

47 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

eagleschout526, I am going to try to locate the original mold if it still exists.  If you have good pictures that can capture the name and numbers that would be great

CC818351-3D6C-4E76-AA58-D9A9D060DEC3.jpeg.0ae2a1e9dfe0eb2920fb7569bfb00372.jpeg

AMC part number

Which side

Possible mold number

Revision

Possible manufacturer number

month and year part was produced

4437EAB6-F623-43AD-ABBB-CB005E567A8F.jpeg.897234f78a85c5bba37563df3837db8d.jpeg

Mold section for reverse light

00AFD582-07BC-4562-9979-F85AE5BD69A0.jpeg.246ab72c048b02a98a91e86444752a71.jpeg

Mold section for brake/running/turn signal

1D15759D-BC82-47FD-A347-2F8140F88165.jpeg.927dadbef9ac673bb7465eb62f65396f.jpeg

Possible mold number for lens

Reason why to like modern parts, the manufacturer is allowed to have their name on the part. Like the modern MoPar evaps. The company Behr down in Mexico makes them. 

1 hour ago, Me&my86MJ said:

Oh ok, but why not(curious)? Seems like they 3-D print almost everything.

https://www.engineering.com/3DPrinting/3DPrintingArticles/ArticleID/17077/Audi-Leverages-Full-Color-Multi-Material-3D-Printing-for-Tail-Light-Testing.aspx

“In terms of 3D printing transparent parts, I have not seen a comparable technology that meets our standards,” Spiering said. “Using the J750 for the prototyping of tail light covers, we will be able to accelerate our design verification process. We estimate time savings of up to 50 percent by using this 3D print technique in our prototyping process of tail light covers.”

Those familiar with the few multi-color, multi-material 3D printing technologies on the market will likely agree with Spiering that the J750 is probably the only system capable of printing colored, transparent objects such as the tail lights made by Audi.

Just because there are rockets that take men into space does not mean you get to go with them. 

10 hours ago, ComancheKid45 said:

Really!?.....I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants a picture of that.

there,

properly installed they look good, which makes me wonder why they used custom taillights for the MJ when they could just slapped some XJ ones?

67878356_501709703991157_1806846592003604480_n.jpg

67931046_806825753123676_1483533084732162048_n.jpg

It does actually look kinda good.  If the body lines were square back there it would be perfect.  Does it look like the trimmed the lights at all?  Can't imagine they'd be the same height.

Do you have pictures of further back with more of the truck?  Want a feel for what it looks like with more of the truck.