how many miles on your truck's factory engine?

How many miles on your engine?  

327 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles on your factory MJ engine?

• 0-50k
    • 50-100k
    • 100-150k
    • 150-200k
    • 200-250k
    • 250-300k
    • 300k+
    • who knows. I swapped it out.

I work at a jeep only salvage yard in ri we have been open since 1994. my boss and i always tell people about this one 88 xj we took apart. The odometer read well over 800k miles. We tell people all the time and people don't believe us but thats ok. The brake and gas pedal were worn down to the metal. When we removed the speedometer, there was so much dust, dirt and dog hair inside and around the dash you would not believe it. The engine bay was caked with grease oil and dirt. The driver seat was held up with a block of wood. It had no brakes and when i went to move it in our yard i crashed into the chain linked fence. 

On 12/6/2019 at 12:13 AM, strictlyxjs said:

I work at a jeep only salvage yard in ri we have been open since 1994. my boss and i always tell people about this one 88 xj we took apart. The odometer read well over 800k miles. We tell people all the time and people don't believe us but thats ok. The brake and gas pedal were worn down to the metal. When we removed the speedometer, there was so much dust, dirt and dog hair inside and around the dash you would not believe it. The engine bay was caked with grease oil and dirt. The driver seat was held up with a block of wood. It had no brakes and when i went to move it in our yard i crashed into the chain linked fence. 

Love this story, if that xj spent its whole life in New England that’s even more amazing. Also, where in RI is your salvage yard?? I gotta check it out.

Swapped mine out long ago. But it is still a stock 4.0. I swear by factory equipped rigs, or stock equipment that is. Parts readily available and it stays running. Its when you start adding power features to a stock engine i have found starts causing more failures. Same reason my 6.0 diesel is still running good. Everything is still stock. 

• 1 month later...
  • Pete M pinned this topic

288k original and stock. There was 6 years on the car check report that it was only driven 8k though. Probably the reason the 4 angry squirrels are still at work, although during that 6 year period,  she must have spent a lot of time parked with the passenger side facing the sun cause that side is severely oxidized were as the drivers none at all.

FB_IMG_1568396817859.jpg

FB_IMG_1568396821922.jpg

I'm not sure if I can play or not as mine are in metric.  :D   If so ...

1988 MJ - 115,376 mi. ... (185,680 km)

1989 XJ - 88,426 mi. ... (142,308 km)

Both engines run great and haven't needed any major work on them.  I also have an '03 TJ & an '04 LJ with similar mileages and the load gets spread around.  They're my only vehicles, I'm all Jeep.   I'm retired and don't drive nearly as much as I used to.  I only put about 6,000 km on my MJ last year and about 12,000 km on the XJ.  It and the LJ are the tow pigs for my tear drop and off road trailer. 

19-08-23 1.JPG

4 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

How come all the Canadian MJs have roll bars?

I don't know what the numbers are but I'm sure I've more seen that don't have sport bars than do.   Mine came without and I was fortunate to pick up a second MJ (since sold) that had one.  I was able to transfer the sport bar and all of the original mounting brackets and hardware.   It even came with a new unused factory tonneau cover. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

167,000 running like a champ.  I have entertained the idea of swapping motors but this one isnt terrible.  Just thought about a new one with less blow by and consequently fewer oil leaks. 

have you done the valve cover mods to reduce the oil coming out?

have you done the valve cover mods to reduce the oil coming out?
Yes I have. I have a pretty bad leak at the cap still. I tried to do cruisers mod to the cap but it made it too tight to get all the way on. Been thinking about a late model valve cover swap.

My build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://comancheclub.com/topic/8033-finally-found-onenow-it-has-a-new-floor/&share_tid=8033&share_fid=53169&share_type=t

On 4/6/2020 at 9:04 AM, watchamakalit said:

Yes I have. I have a pretty bad leak at the cap still. I tried to do cruisers mod to the cap but it made it too tight to get all the way on. Been thinking about a late model valve cover swap.

My build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://comancheclub.com/topic/8033-finally-found-onenow-it-has-a-new-floor/&share_tid=8033&share_fid=53169&share_type=t

Put some oil on it. It gets easier to turn after it has been on for a while. 

Put some oil on it. It gets easier to turn after it has been on for a while. 
Ok I'll give that a try. I couldnt even get it to latch when I tried last time. But I didn't oil it either.

Turned 350,000 on the dial recently, but after replacing the transfer case a few years ago I ran it for 3-4 years without a speedo gear because I refused to pay $40 for one. That included multiple cross countries and daily driving so I think its more accurately 380 or 390 with maybe 100hp left in her.  :laugh2:

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, early comanche owner said:

1990 comanche pioneer   158k and climbing..  just got her a few weeks ago

thumbnail (3).jfif 145.79 kB · 0 downloads

you can upload your photos straight here to the CC. :L:  

though I'm not sure I've ever seen a pic added as an attachment.  :thinking:  not sure how that happened.