how many miles on your truck's factory engine?

How many miles on your engine?  

327 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles on your factory MJ engine?

• 0-50k
    • 50-100k
    • 100-150k
    • 150-200k
    • 200-250k
    • 250-300k
    • 300k+
    • who knows. I swapped it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, gogmorgo said:

Well 498,400km on the first 4.0 in my first MJ before I pulled it puts me in the 300+ club, by just. I also added one for the ~270,000km that are now on the engine that replaced it (240,000 of which were accumulated by the XJ it came out of). I've also got 172,000km on the other MJ's original 2.5 when it came out, but it's death was due to neglect from the previous owner. Sometimes when your crusty old radiator is leaking, the fact it quit leaking on you doesn't have much to do with the stop-leak you were pouring in the top as quickly as the coolant was coming out, and more to do with there only being a finite amount of coolant in the system...

My 87 MJ - 154K, My 90 XJ 252K, My 98 XJ 335K

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

175k on the 1986 Jeep Skamanche 4x4 with original [GM 2.8l v6 LR2] <- POS ENGINE [IMO]

I hate the 2.8l v6 or it's the Varajet II Carburetor. Whatever power you thought you had is now gone at the ax5... It's perfect if you wanna do 35 mph on the main road. 

My 95 XJ had 390k on the engine before I bent 4 rods and flattened the cam and lifters. :roflmao:Currently sad that I have to rebuild the original motor. But it never blew the head gasket. So I am pretty impressed with the 4.0l H.O. engine. Guess you shouldn't pull 3/4 ton & 1 ton trucks.:thumbsup: Now it has 390k on the Body with a built 4.6L L6/Ax15/Np231 SYE kit... and other add on's.... 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 298000 on the original 4.0 engine.  My father bought it new in 88. I drove him to the dealer to pick it up.  Valve cover and pan have never been off the motor. I know it needs either a rebuild or a replacement, as I am running straight 50 weight and it still takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up in the morning. It has had a long hard life pulling trailers with very heavy vintage Chevys on them.

Question, do I rebuild it with new bearings and rings, or do I just buy a rebuilt 4.0? 

54 minutes ago, Clay Perrine said:

I have 298000 on the original 4.0 engine.  My father bought it new in 88. I drove him to the dealer to pick it up.  Valve cover and pan have never been off the motor. I know it needs either a rebuild or a replacement, as I am running straight 50 weight and it still takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up in the morning. It has had a long hard life pulling trailers with very heavy vintage Chevys on them.

Question, do I rebuild it with new bearings and rings, or do I just buy a rebuilt 4.0? 

drainback valve leaking?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, Pete M said:

partly playing with the poll feature, partly looking for a graph showing how the stock engines are doing. :L: 

multiple choice answering is allowed for guys owning more than one.  If your trucks both have 175k, then I don't know how to accommodate that  :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purchased mine just recently, has 252k on the original engine.  First owner put 237k on it in 16 years.  Then it became a parts runner for the original selling Jeep dealer for 15 years getting few miles but probably beat on.

Now I beat on it. 🙂

• 1 month later...

177k original miles and growing strong. Bought on Halloween on 2020 from my grandfather because his vision is getting terrible and wanted it to go to a good home where he knew it'd be taken care of. When he does see it pull in the driveway. He always smiles. Been owned by him since '87

20201031_152232.jpg

• 4 weeks later...