Random Purchase Offers

Skorpyo

Anyone else ever get random offers to buy their Comanche? 

This past weekend, in helping a family member move, I was driving down I-95 in Northern VA (which means stop and go on a Saturday) and a trucker honked at me and offered to buy my truck for 5K. I declined politely, since I literally have only had it back on the road for 2 months after a nearly 6K rebuild but I thanked him and he told me it was a "sweet truck". Its the first time I've had that happen, but I recall making random offers on MJs I saw before I bought mine. Anyone else have any fun stories of random purchase offers?

I was at the dump unloading a bunch of trash into the bins and a guy with a newer Dodge Ram pulled up (3rd gen) and was like "Wow, cool truck, you don't see those anymore!  I'll trade you for mine right now!"

I said I couldn't, I had more money into this truck than he could imagine. :roflmao:

It's happened to me a few times including last week while I was sitting in the parking lot at Home Depot.   A guy in a pickup truck came speeding across the lot straight at me broadside then "kind of" turned in to the spot beside me.  I probably wasn't as polite as you were.   I thought he was going to run in to me.

On the flip side, about 2 yrs. ago I followed the silver MJ below for about 2 blocks.   I was in my LJ and wanted to tell him that one his brakes lights was out (it was).   I asked and he politely said ..."get lost".  :D   I've bought one since and ended up getting a pic of them together where I originally asked him (just down the street from me).

18-04-12 3.jpg

I get asked about once a month. I usually just say "it's not for sale" so I don't usually get a number. 

Besides people wanting to buy it I've gotten to where I enjoy the attention it gets. Yesterday two guys in a CLEAN 97+ XJ pulled up next to me at a stoplight and started taking pics of my truck :))

Consistently to the point where it's sometimes a PITA. Not always an offer, but everyone wants to talk about it. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's not. There's not many MJs in our area, and a lot of  folks have no idea Jeep ever made a pickup.

I had parked mine overnight at my office.  I came back in the morning to find a hand written note.  It said if I was going to sell it to call the number written on the note.

I never called, but I still have the note.

In the past, some people have asked if it was for sale.  I politely state that it is not.

One guy came up to me at a gas station.  He asked how much for the truck. I just said it’s more than what you can afford.  He stared at me in disbelief.  

He was dressed nicely in a suit (think white collar) and was driving a bmw. 

I laughed as I walked away 

Frequently.  And as Don mentioned ... I also have lots of random "chats about the truck".  I live on a well traveled rural route and the truck is parked essentially in a field, so lots of passersby will stop and ask.  They stop to catch the sunset, or take pics of the MJ/XJ line-up.

I recently advertised my '90 with a 4 sale sign and my phone number.  I returned a message and told the guy he was welcome to look at the pictures on Craigslist because it was pouring rain.  He informed me that he'd seen the truck up close and personal on a few occasions over the years.  He said he was just waiting for a "for sale" sign to appear.  Kind of disturbing to know someone was poking around my stuff when I wasn't there.  Long story short, he owns it. 

sunset.jpg

I had a guy knock on my front door one Saturday morning, asking me if I'd ever considered selling Georgia my '92.  I live on a dead end street and the truck is typically parked at the end of the driveway between 2 houses so she's not that easy to see unless you're really looking.  It really took me by surprise.   I told him everything has a price and showed him the truck.  His offer was way low but he enjoyed seeing her.  During this time the wife came home and asked me why I was inviting random people over.  I told her I was glad she came home as she'd have never believed the story had she not seen it.

Random chats happen quite often but this one was a full court press.

I never really understood this attitude until I took my Niva through the south. Frankly I still don't understand it. I think I've spoken to about three people the entire time I've owned the Lada, at least in Canada. Mostly it was people I know asking while we were drinking or whatever. Going through the states though... It was every other gas station someone approached me. And 95% of them would read BWA on the wheels, ask me what it was, and then absolutely not listen to a word I said. Seriously. If you don't care enough to listen to what I have to say about it, just leave me the f#%k alone. I have very little interest in talking to random people, and zero interest in talking to people who won't listen to anything I say.

For the record the wheels say ВША, not BWA, but that doesn't stop morons either.

I have caught neigbors in my front yard where 1 mj was parked by my fence gate gawking.It wasn't so strange this time. I didn't know them but know of them on block as young corporate professionals. I could over hear the mans enthusiasm telling his wife or girlfriend "wow I never knew jeep made a truck like this." I never seen 1 growing up. The nearest jeep dealer was 30 miles away then and still would be today if I lived there. I have been guilty of offering/leaving notes on mjs several times over the years. Its worked a couple of times too.

Several years back, before I bought my MJ I used to walk my dogs past a house with a LWB in the driveway. Far as I could tell it never moved but eventually I stopped in to put a card on his windshield asking if he'd be interested in selling it. The guy saw me and came out and we chatted for quite a while. He loved the truck, but never drove it. Turned out it was a 4cyl (I was looking for a 4.0) and the floors were totally gone, I mean Fred Flinstone style gone but he wanted 4500 for it and wouldn't negotiate so I politely declined and told him to have a great day. Nice enough guy, just too much sentiment invested in the truck. I guess they moved a year or two ago, as its gone and the house has been remodeled.

I stopped at a Jeep dealership a year ago that is about an hour away, I had never been there before.  A salesman found me at the parts counter and asked if that was my Comanche, I was worried he was going to tell me someone hit it but he said he wanted to buy it, he was looking for his son.  I told him I probably won't sell it but everything has a price.  In the conversation I told him I had it insured for 10k and it would take at least that much for me to even consider selling.  He asked me if I would take 10k for it that day, I don't know how serious he was but I told him he made my day but I declined.  

Buck.  

i don't drive mine on road much anymore, but i've gotten quite a few offers thru the years.  

hell, i saw my now current eliminator sitting on the side of a garage for months and it never seemed to move.  didnt have a for sale sign though.  i figured i would write a note and slip it in the mailbox with my number to see if he was interested in selling.  as i was writing the note, the guy came outside so i approaced him.  $900 later, i was the owner of an 89 eliminator.  never know if you don't ask...

All the years I’ve had this truck- I get offers all the time..

just recently this past Saturday someone in a Tacoma waved me down at 70mph on the highway just to ask me how much would I sell the truck...

and later that night I was at a McDonald’s and got offered to trade my truck for an xj....

Ive always mentioned to my close ones

10k would be my bottom dollar to pry it out my hands 

Love the compliments, makes me feel that I’ve built a badass rig...

Older jeeps seem to attract people.  I know people have seen me running through the store to tire shop next door when a clean old jeep comes in lol.  Been offered 6k for the 86 by a UPS guy on his route.  Kinda awkward when you just bought it about 1 day earlier.  Got a frequent customer always asking when I'm going to part with it but just give him hell by telling him he's just jealous since his tacoma can't haul as much.  Had more offers on the xj waggy and the grand wagoneer though.

I had someone follow me home and it was super obvious they were following me.  A man got out with their kid though and just wanted information on what to look for when buying one for his kid that really wanted a MJ.  Multiple people have stopped at the house asking about it.

I moved and now it gets parked inside the shop.  I have a rusted out decoy MJ parked on the property.