What is the fastest you've ever driven your MJ?

big66440

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I completed the '97 conversion (automatic) I was still on 31s and 3.55 gears I was able to hit 90.  It kept downshifting looking for more, but that's all it would do.  I regularly drive on our belt loop and the speed limit is 70, so I drive 75 on a regular basis, but that's with the 4.56 gears and the 33s.  The JK cruises a lot better at those speeds.

• 1 month later...

I usually drive 85 or so most of the 670 miles between my house and the kids' in Albuquerque. West TX speed limits on the I10 are 80. I'm sure the GemTop shell (steel) helps to keep the rear end down, and yes, I've checked the calibration with the mile markers on the interstate...mile in 42 seconds. Doing around 2800 RPM and that speed with stock tires.

My top was a few Years ago before my new axles and Stroker Engine heading to NJ I hit 170KPH with 31's and 3:73 gears and smooth as can be oh and My speedometers are always calibrated to within 2KPH (GPS-ed as well)

so that somewhere around 106MPH I think...

I haven't tried with the New Engine on 35's yet...

I once made a wrong turn while driving near Baltimore and ended up on a 75mph road. With 36 tires and 5.13 gears all built on a fairly odd setup, it was one of the more terrifying experiences of my life. It was all shakes at that speed and very close to redline. Needless to say, I got off that road very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I passed an unmarked cop so fast one night it took him about 5 seconds to hit the lights ( back in my youth )

1st thing he said was     "I was doing 85! " :doh:

Thank god he was pretty cool though...

In my chally, I've only wrapped out 4th gear so far...

• 2 weeks later...

My Comanche has 33 in. Goodyear Duratracs and a 4.5 in Rough Country lift, things get dicey at 70. The speedometer isn't calibrated so it pegs at 85 when i'm going roughly 70. Wouldn't dare take it much faster then 70, steering gets loose, the rpms are up near 3000, the rear is so light that it gets squirrelly. 

Lol, well this answered a lot of my questions. The poor old tired motor won't hold speed in 5th on an overpass....always have to downshift but I've been up to 65 a time or two on the backside of the bridge.  209k on the clock and she may just need a rebuild.