What is the fastest you've ever driven your MJ?

big66440

And I'm sure all these interstate speed readings were taken on calibrated speedometers.   :rotfl2:

Huh? What's that?

Don,

I use a GPS app on my phone to check speed and distance calibration of the speedometers on all my cars.  During a short period between the rain yesterday, I checked the Comanche speedometer.  It was between 2 and 3 mph high at 70/75.  My tires are stock 225/75 x 15 Kumho Solis SR21.

The phone app is so easy to use, I have not bothered to install the calibrated speedometer I pick up in Las Vegas 3 or 4 years ago.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a nice long drive this last weekend and noticed things got a little scary after 75MPH on my Comanche, I know these trucks are not designed for high speeds so I was curious as to how fast you guys have driven your rigs? . :MJ 1: .

If things are getting a little scary after 75 mph on the truck, then there are some things wrong with your tires/suspension that your really need to fix on your truck.  I have had to do quite a bit of work on the front end over the years.  Still a bit more work needed.  My rational is that the truck is mostly used for Home Depot type runs (except for now, because my other car is in the paint shop).  The best MJ I have ever driven was an 88 that a fellow was selling.  He had gone completely thru the front suspension and rebuilt everything.  It was amazingly tight and drove very well.

Back when the speedometer still read about 9% low I pegged the 85mph speedometer on an empty road (actual speed ~93ish). Nothing scary happened and if anything it smoothed out a bit. Of course, my front end has quite a few new parts sprinkled in, but if a stock MJ doesn't feel stable at ~75 something is quite wrong IMO.

Also,  :agree:

It was stable, It was just vibrating a lot like many others have said and the fact that my door seals aren't sealing real well doesn't help.

I am sure I have hit 70mph in mine.  The question was how fast have you driven it.  Not how fast can it go.  Right?  Regarding how fast it can go, its a stock '87 with 85k miles.  The engine is like new.  So whatever those are rated at...  Driving an mj fast is not high on my bucket list.

Well, when someone says they went a certain speed, and someone else calls it impossible, suddenly the top speed possible becomes relevant. A couple of us younger and foolisher types have actually managed to get them to where they won't go faster. I think that's about top speed, yes?

Mine would go no faster than what I believe to be about 105 mph, (educated guess based on known speedometer error and indicated speed) but that was before I was able to gps verify it. I'm not going to do it again... I have no interest in swapping out another motor until I have my stroker built.

I might as well jump in too.  :yes:

Specs:  31" Michelins, 4.10 gears, AW4, 2WD. Everything is new in the front end (except ball joints) and drive train including wheels and tires within the last five years, ~2.5" lift. The dash speedo is calibrated, verified, and dead-on.

I normally cruise the interstate at 75MPH / 2500RPM. At 85MPH the speedo's pegged and I'm right at ~3000RPM. It will climb w/o protest to 3600 RPM, but beyond that the rear end starts feeling light and I chicken out. The engine wants to keep going higher, and runs fine on the dyno up to 4800RPM. I don't have GPS, but calculating the 3600RPM speed using ratio and proportion comes out to ~110MPH. The longer LWB with a heavy shell on the back helps out I think.

I have gotten my MJ up to 75mph before, it does fine. It's definitely more comfortable at 65mph. No real need to go faster than that.

I got in a vehicle pursuit (I'm a police officer) with a motor cycle the other day. I was driving a new ford explorer with the twin turbo motor and got up to 132 mph........and yes, I caught him!

I have gotten my MJ up to 75mph before, it does fine. It's definitely more comfortable at 65mph. No real need to go faster than that.

I got in a vehicle pursuit (I'm a police officer) with a motor cycle the other day. I was driving a new ford explorer with the twin turbo motor and got up to 132 mph........and yes, I caught him!

Don't taze me bro.

I believe the factory top speed of an MJ is something like 116 mph (don't quote me on it, read it somewhere) Mine's a short bed and I don't normally run a topper so my rear end is lighter than some, but I don't think even with the totally unrebuilt 25 year old drivetrain it would have any problem reaching that speed. At my estimated high score of 93, the truck didn't feel like it was even trying. Just a slightly louder buzzy straight 6 sound than normal.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit 70-75 on accident coming down a long hill form a mountain pass the first year I owned it, but usually its rare to get over 55 for fuel economy's sake during daily driving. The Benz, I may have had it to 110 passing a long line of trucks on a 2 lane highway this summer on the drive from TX to OR, but nobody can prove I did it (except the black box).

Stock 92 4.0 stick 2wd on 205/75/15's I had the needle past straight down and on its way up to 0 post. It was running really smooth with no shakes.

That was when I first bought it 5 years ago.

Since then it has gotten a D44 with a not quite stock drive shaft that vibrates.

Also has been converted to 4wd. I don't think it'll ever go that fast again.

I've had the needle buried a couple times. I would say probably 90-95ish.

Didn't have a tach at the time so not sure what the engine was running.

With the 3.73's and 31.5" tires I can cruise at 70-75 all day long.

@70mph I'm running 2k RPM