What is the fastest you've ever driven your MJ?

big66440

I took a nice long drive this last weekend and noticed things got a little scary after 75MPH on my Comanche, I know these trucks are not designed for high speeds so I was curious as to how fast you guys have driven your rigs? . :MJ 1: .

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done 85+ a few time, but not for long on the freeway.  I am not afraid to drive the Comanche at 75 on the freeway.  My tires are good/excellent, front end is also OK.  Steering could be tighter, more than just a bit of free play in the steering

dec 2012 on my way from chetwynd to dawsoncreek,in my 88 laredo metric ton , 4.0L/ax15 with 35's and 3.55 gears and correct speedometer gear,

4.5 lift in the front, short arm

soa in the rear

i have taken it up to 170 km/hr (105.6 mp/hr)

doing this, i exceeded the speed rating on the bfg mud terrains, they were egg shaped afterwards

taken my subaru to 230kmh/142 mph

75 (indicated) is good enough for me. I don't plan to road trip in my MJ but do drive it on the Interstates around town. If I want to go faster, I've got a hemi Ram that feels a lot more solid at speed (and quieter).

nPFi0k5.jpg

It's not easy keeping a camera steady at that speed. That's indicating about 185km/h, or 115mph. Stock '91 4.0 4x4, with ~300,000 miles. I didn't have a GPS device at the time to confirm that speed, but based on what I know now about my soeedometer's calibration, I'd have to say it's more likely that it topped out around 170km/h, ~105mph. It's not easy getting up to those speeds with an automatic, because if you push the pedal down too far it kicks down into third and then you bang into the rev limiter and lose speed. I'd imagine it would take a while, but could still be done on 35's with the proper gearing. It would definitely be easier with a manual that stays in high gear with the pedal to the floor.

I have however grown up a little since taking that picture. I'm no longer particularly proud of the speeds I reached on public roads or of how often I reached them.

I'm also convinced it contributed significantly to the failure of the original 4.0, being driven that hard.

It's funny. Sure, my MJ has it's share of rattles and vibrations, and never really seemed happy about doing 70 mph, but faster than that and they seemed to go away. By 85 mph, it was almost like piloting a cloud... Although thinking about it now probably it was just me going into sensory overload due to the air noise. Judging by that pic, there were at least still some bumps. But my memory of it is still everything being a lot more stable than other not-intended-for-speed vehicles I'd done it in at the time.

I can barely get my MJ up to 85 with 32s and 3:55s.

105.6 on 35s...

I don't think so.

why would i have to b/s?

gogmorgo is correct, it took a WHILE

zoom in on that route, and you will see the highway goes STRAIGHT for a looooong time

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Chetwynd,+BC/Dawson+Creek,+BC/@55.7566173,-120.9518236,10z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x538dfd8cd38036cf:0x78f86f733d913b4c!2m2!1d-121.6296734!2d55.6976802!1m5!1m1!1s0x539199367e0787b9:0x50135152a7b3130!2m2!1d-120.2376623!2d55.7596274!3e0

I had my 87 up to 70 a few times when I first built it and everything was still tight. Bear in mind that's 35's, lockers, 4.56 gears, 3 link up front, 4 link coils in the rear, and no anti sway bars. It was built for rocks not the road. I went down the road pretty well though, but it wouldn't have been pretty if I tried to swerve to miss a dog or something. :eek:

but it wouldn't have been pretty if I tried to swerve to miss a dog or something. :eek:

When it comes to animals on the road, especially at high speed, dog, deer, whatever..... sorry, I "stay the course" rather than risk total loss of control and something catastrophic happening by trying to swerve then over correcting. Cows, horses, moose, bridge abutments...whole nuther story.

Growing up in southern Toba/Sask, I don't need to use google to find long straight sections of road... There's a highway nearby with only a small kink in it, otherwise it would be straight as an arrow for 50 miles at least.

but it wouldn't have been pretty if I tried to swerve to miss a dog or something. :eek:

When it comes to animals on the road, especially at high speed, dog, deer, whatever..... sorry, I "stay the course" rather than risk total loss of control and something catastrophic happening by trying to swerve then over correcting. Cows, horses, moose, bridge abutments...whole nuther story.

Same here, I was just saying. When something jumps out in front of me my foot goes for the brake, I'll swerve a little if I can, but I 'm not going in the ditch either.

Back when the speedometer still read about 9% low I pegged the 85mph speedometer on an empty road (actual speed ~93ish). Nothing scary happened and if anything it smoothed out a bit. Of course, my front end has quite a few new parts sprinkled in, but if a stock MJ doesn't feel stable at ~75 something is quite wrong IMO.

Also,  :agree: