maddzz1

random informative picture thread

That belt diagram has the years wrong. HO 91-95 used a belt routing similar to renix but with a shorter belt. 96 up 4.0L in XJ used the one on the right.

That belt diagram has the years wrong. HO 91-95 used a belt routing similar to renix but with a shorter belt. 96 up 4.0L in XJ used the one on the right.

RockFrog,

I'm putting a '98 motor in an '89 using all bracketry from '89 (PS, alternator, A/C). Should I use the 96+ belt routing or does using the Renix brackets change things?

Thanks

Use the belt routing based on the brackets you use. I have 88 brackets on my passenger side and 96+ on my driverside. The later PS arrangement with respect to the belt tensioning is a better lass problematic system IMO. If it were me I would use the '98 intake, convert the fuel rail fittings, and adapt the TPS, and run the '98's PS. (one would also need the '98's throttle cable and either bend the pedal or use the one from the' 98 as well. I just dislike the Renix TB although I do like the Renix MPFI.

Then use the '89 alt/A/C. But I likes my punishment.

(this is essentially what I did with my '88 except used a '99 intake manifold).

Routing would be like so ...

Here are some pics I would've found helpful repairing my mj

B pillar light wiring

36399282676_da6ae41c79_c.jpg20170711_185954 by Lucas K, on Flickr

If you file down the spade connectors on the light and remove the connector housing on your wiring harness you don't have to cut any wires. I just threw the old housings in my glove-box if I ever decide I need them. I ended up needing to replace the diode on one of my lights because I kept hooking up the lights wrong and it went pop. Hopefully this spares someone from having the same experience. 

Rear tail light harness plug--- These pics are from a 92 Comanche. From what I've seen online older MJs seemed to use a different connector that looks kind of like a weatherpack. I don't know who made this connector for chrysler, or where you get pins for it but you can find them in the junkyard on other cars to make a plug in trailer wiring harness. Early 90s dodge dakotas are the best source for this plug and you can find them at the firewall bulkhead. Jeep ZJ's use this connector for the fuel pump. I'll write more about it  on a different thread when I finish making the harness

36399284026_98713050ba_c.jpg20170709_110029 by Lucas K, on Flickr

36399283746_128a6c118f_c.jpg20170709_110049 by Lucas K, on Flickr

36399283636_24a885aace_c.jpg20170709_110106 by Lucas K, on Flickr

Also a neat alternative to a stock radio that doesnt look like it came from a tron movie:

36279650982_42e74200e4_c.jpg20170808_121316 by Lucas K, on Flickr

36448935025_cdd602aed9_c.jpgs-l1600 by Lucas K, on Flickr

Doesn't look too out of place and has a nice stock green backlit display that turns on with the lights. I think it has the capability to dim too but I haven't figured that out. It has Bluetooth (main reason for swapping) USB, aux, CD and gets weatherband. You can pick them up for $40-50 on ebay. Its a Panasonic Pana-Pacific CQ-BT5159U and is used by oems on semis. It uses an iso connector and the only pre made plug and play adapter I could find was P/N PC2-38-4 from europe. It also remembers the time for 30 days with no power. If you do get one you will NEED the owners manual to set it up, my only complaint about it is that it isn't as intuitive as other radios as far as messing with settings/functions.

Dash harness routing:

Ctxj66Zl.jpg

The holes in the dash for the zip ties are 1/4". These zip ties are a good match for the factory ones.