Round headlight conversions for MJ/ XJ

dasbulliwagen

The 2nd one is the Jeep Casablanca concept.

Jeep Cherokee Casablanca

Here's looking at you, Jeep! Sometimes it's just the name of a concept that can make it super dorky, like Casablanca. This round-headlight 1997 Cherokee was European-spec'd and included a 2.5L turbodiesel. While plugging the familiar "go-anywhere capability" of all Jeep vehicles, the Casablanca was set to "extend the Jeep spirit into even more exotic, new territories. Jeep Cherokee Casablanca is designed to travel long distances under extreme conditions." And no long-travel, extreme Jeep should be without an exoskeletal roof rack - with built-in driving lights, apparently. There was also a canvas sunroof that slid back to open up the entire vehicle - perfect for the 12-foot bugs sure to be a part of the new lands the Casablanca would see. Bonus items included a tubular bumper and side steps, an integrated winch, a 2-inch suspension lift to make for 9.5 inches of ground clearance, and 31-inch rubber.

:hmm: round headlights and flat hood just does not look right to me

Agreed.

I know there's a big traditionalist camp out there that still believes "real Jeeps have round headlights" But the rest of the MJ/XJ is too square & angular to make it look right, IMO.

I am sure I will offend some but... I live around Fort Wayne Indiana. Until the '80's, International Harvester made the Scout in Fort Wayne. While I recall the drivetrain was unstoppable, that thing was made out of Kleenex box. I am sure it would rust even if you mentioned "water". You would see those things running around with fenders wobbling and about to fall off. Cheapest steel imaginable. The round headlights make the XJ look like the next generation Scout. Barf.

:hmm: round headlights and flat hood just does not look right to me

Agreed.

I know there's a big traditionalist camp out there that still believes "real Jeeps have round headlights" But the rest of the MJ/XJ is too square & angular to make it look right, IMO.

:agree:

• 13 years later...

Thread Revival! :roflmao:
Has anyone seen this guy's round light conversion:

round.JPG.95db5d9b00513291d0f8d05443d080c3.JPG

I just discovered the Jeep Casablanca concept yesterday and I think it looks the closest so far. It still looks a bit strange, but I don't know if that's because of the amazon alien-head headlights or that it makes the front look too wide.

I feel like I should give this a shot using a scrap 97+ header panel from a junkyard and a Wrangler JK blinker

The first one reminds me of the weird generation Toyota FJ55 Land cruiser.  The second has a Lada Nieva look to it and the final one is very much early Range Rover.

I'm not sure why anyone would want round headlights on a Jeep....

2 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

I'm not sure why anyone would want round headlights on a Jeep....

It's a history\tradition thing.

As a CJ owner I must agree real jeeps have round headlights.  But my MJ won't be getting butchered for roundies. They are only cool on an MJ if you have one round and one square.