College Vehicle

89 MJ

From my experience I'd find a used Honda or Toyota. Just need something simple and reliable that doesn't have a ton of space. If you have a truck you're always going to be asked to move stuff and haul people. If you have a minivan you're always going to be asked to haul people. I'd also find something that's easy to park. My first year in the dorms I had a massively lifted k5. I couldn't park  anywhere and it was an absolute headache but everyone always wanted to take it because it was basically a monster truck. It was cool but not at all practical. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I alternated between my MJ and a very much in-disrepair '96 Thunderbird for my broke college years and did just fine. The MJ for moving my stuff and the T-bird, in less disrepair these days, for the 4 hours a week home and back.

I can count on one hand the number of times I moved other people's stuff. Only my friends even knew what I drove because I walked everywhere. If I didn't feel like helping, I just told 'em no. Your results may vary.

What schools are you looking at?

If it were me, and since it's only being considered for the first year, I would drive the Eagle.  Spend the time between now and when you go getting ahead of any maintenance it may likely need and take your chances.  I would not take the MJ since pilfered parts have a decent market value.  If I recall correctly your recent sojourn with the MJ also was met with mechanical issues along the way.  Of course I know nothing about the condition of the Eagle so I would take any advice I offer with a grain of salt.  I agree with the used Honda or Toyota as well if it's been well maintained.  I like Subaru's but I would never recommend one with the 2.5 engine given the head gasket issues, or much of anything between 1997 and 2015 in the 2.5.  The 3.6 would be a different consideration IMO.  I'm still driving a 95 Legacy wagon with just 75K on it but it has the bullet proof 2.2.  The first generation Legacy held the world endurance speed record from 1989 to 2005. 100,000km at 139 mph non stop (with oil and tire changes along the way of course). 

Good luck and enjoy your college years.  And don't go crazy with a new found sense of freedom like so many of us did and it seems some still do.  Can be well known butt biters.  Somehow I don't think that's you though.

I drove my wrangler tj for my first 3 years of college and the last year and a half I’ve been driving the mj most days with the tj as backup. Overall the mj makes a good daily and I don’t really have to worry about it getting dented since mine is kinda a beater. My only complaint is the gas milage and it only having one passenger seat but I don’t really haul people around anyways. I live 4 hours away from home too so it took some getting used to driving a truck with no ac but it does ride pretty good. I’d just drive your mj if I was you but that’s just because I like daily driving mine even though it’s old and has its moments of breakage

55 minutes ago, rokinn said:

If it were me, and since it's only being considered for the first year, I would drive the Eagle.  Spend the time between now and when you go getting ahead of any maintenance it may likely need and take your chances.  I would not take the MJ since pilfered parts have a decent market value.  If I recall correctly your recent sojourn with the MJ also was met with mechanical issues along the way.  Of course I know nothing about the condition of the Eagle so I would take any advice I offer with a grain of salt.  I agree with the used Honda or Toyota as well if it's been well maintained.  I like Subaru's but I would never recommend one with the 2.5 engine given the head gasket issues, or much of anything between 1997 and 2015 in the 2.5.  The 3.6 would be a different consideration IMO.  I'm still driving a 95 Legacy wagon with just 75K on it but it has the bullet proof 2.2.  The first generation Legacy held the world endurance speed record from 1989 to 2005. 100,000km at 139 mph non stop (with oil and tire changes along the way of course). 

Good luck and enjoy your college years.  And don't go crazy with a new found sense of freedom like so many of us did and it seems some still do.  Can be well known butt biters.  Somehow I don't think that's you though.

Thank you. The Eagle has been off of the road for many years, but at this point we’ve replaced many of the wear parts and it seems like it was better taken care of that my MJ. 

30 minutes ago, 88mjsally said:

I drove my wrangler tj for my first 3 years of college and the last year and a half I’ve been driving the mj most days with the tj as backup. Overall the mj makes a good daily and I don’t really have to worry about it getting dented since mine is kinda a beater. My only complaint is the gas milage and it only having one passenger seat but I don’t really haul people around anyways. I live 4 hours away from home too so it took some getting used to driving a truck with no ac but it does ride pretty good. I’d just drive your mj if I was you but that’s just because I like daily driving mine even though it’s old and has its moments of breakage

My concern with the MJ is it getting hailed on or damaged in a storm and I don’t want to drive it 11 hours without cruise control. 

9 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Thank you. The Eagle has been off of the road for many years, but at this point we’ve replaced many of the wear parts and it seems like it was better taken care of that my MJ. 

My concern with the MJ is it getting hailed on or damaged in a storm and I don’t want to drive it 11 hours without cruise control. 

Or go missing

:yeahthat: College kids have no respect for others property, find something cheap that you don't care about, especially if it's just going to sit. ask around to see if anyone is selling anything cheap.

i drove a honda during college,l didnt care about it,  didn't care if it got hit

8 hours ago, 89eliminator said:

i bought a honda civic for college transportation.  best decision ever.  i had door dings and bumpers hit a lot.  

7 hours ago, jdog said:

:yeahthat: College kids have no respect for others property, find something cheap that you don't care about, especially if it's just going to sit. ask around to see if anyone is selling anything cheap.

i drove a honda during college,l didnt care about it,  didn't care if it got hit

The door dings and bumps are what I am worried about too. But because the Eagle is two tone, it has rubber paint dividers and it is taller than my MJ and has a bunch of plastic cladding, so I should be alright. If I found a cheap beater down there, I definitely would pick one up though, just in case. My other dilemma is that I am not going to bring a northern car down south. I hate dealing with rust which is why both of my current vehicles are from the south.   

6 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Use the money you would waste buying another vehicle and make the eagle reliable. It's simple economics. 3 vehicles cost more than 2. 

That is what I am thinking right now too, at this point. 

On 9/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, Minuit said:

What schools are you looking at?

The school in TN I am looking at is Vanderbilt. I have all of the things that they recommend for test scores and high school classes, plus they are a top school in the US for mechanical engineering and I like the Nashville area. 

8 hours ago, 1987Comanche said:

How about a GM 3800 Series II or Series III wrapped in whatever (H body, W body, etc)?   Tough motors, parts are cheap,  and you can find a nicely maintained Buick, Olds, or Pontiac pretty cheap. 

That’s another good idea. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

Another good idea....live on campus and walk your butt to class. :teehee:

That is my main plan, but I will probably work off campus and I do have to get home once in a while.