Lift kit

Let me expand upon Jeep driver's answer...

What is your budget?  What is your skill level? What do you have available near you for junkyards?

Options:

There are multiple companies that sell 3" kits for the MJ with various quality and included parts, most are actually missing a few key things or skimped on some to keep costs down.  Some kits are actually pretty complete with decent parts.  The big decision to make with kits is an add a leaf or full spring pack.

The "better" route as considered by some and what Jeep driver was trying to point you towards is building your own lift from parts you source yourself.  This route is a little more advanced and you will need to do research and ask questions to go this route.  We will give you more info on this after you answer the questions I asked above.

Personally I have had a rough country 3" kit on my XJ and have a 4.5" Rusty's kit on my MJ and they both were good in my opinion.  Definitely on the budget end but work for me.  Please answer the questions above and we will give you more info.

If you're doing it yourself, source your parts.  Most "kits" are incomplete. 

If you're going to bring to a shop, the first question they'll ask is what size tire do you want to run? 

After that, the sky's the limit!

Edit: I too, would avoid Rough Country and anything with a Heim Joint

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, Smokeyyank said:

Ironrock offroad, ironman4x4 fab, stinkyfab, are all good "kits" or most of the parts to build. I wouldn't spend money on cRustys or junkcounty. Just me though.

It's crazy that initially i would shy away from these brands and go with a brand i've heard of like rough country. Thanks for sharing these but for my own knowledge, why would those bigger brands be junk compared to "stinkyfab"

The places I listed are 100% dedicated to the platform (XJ/MJ/WJ etc), everything is made here stateside by people that give a damn with quality materials. They also wheel what they make and know what they are building and why. They take pride in their work and build things to last. RC and the others make things for people who want the look but not the function. Things are made overseas or slapped together. End of the day choice is yours but if you are spending the money might as well support a shop that's here and wants to amke quality parts.  

39 minutes ago, billyblankss said:

It's crazy that initially i would shy away from these brands and go with a brand i've heard of like rough country. Thanks for sharing these but for my own knowledge, why would those bigger brands be junk compared to "stinkyfab"

I would actually shy away from companies like Rough Country in favor of the smaller shops.  Rough Country has a reputation as being a company that sells cheap junk.  Some people don't mind their (lack of) quality.  They don't mind having to piece together the parts that aren't included but are necessary for a lift.  They don't mind the Chinese made springs getting rusty in less than a year.  They don't mind the really stiff ride (at least in some platforms).  They don't mind the $10 shocks that don't work well for very long.

The smaller dedicated shops cost more but they give you much more for your dollar.  Also, there are other big name companies that sell better kits than companies like Rough Country.

Just because they have a big name doesn't mean that they sell quality parts.

On 2/23/2020 at 6:54 PM, Dzimm said:

Let me expand upon Jeep driver's answer...

What is your budget?  What is your skill level? What do you have available near you for junkyards?

Options:

There are multiple companies that sell 3" kits for the MJ with various quality and included parts, most are actually missing a few key things or skimped on some to keep costs down.  Some kits are actually pretty complete with decent parts.  The big decision to make with kits is an add a leaf or full spring pack.

The "better" route as considered by some and what Jeep driver was trying to point you towards is building your own lift from parts you source yourself.  This route is a little more advanced and you will need to do research and ask questions to go this route.  We will give you more info on this after you answer the questions I asked above.

Personally I have had a rough country 3" kit on my XJ and have a 4.5" Rusty's kit on my MJ and they both were good in my opinion.  Definitely on the budget end but work for me.  Please answer the questions above and we will give you more info.

Did you get rear springs from Rusty's? 

It became axiomatic at NAXJA that "Friends don't let friends buy from Rusty's."

I have seen Rusty's parts fail on trail rides. The tie rod end on my Rusty's adjustable track bar completely wore out in less than a year -- and that's with greasing it at every oil change. The factory track bar on my '88 Cherokee (which didn't have a grease fitting) lasted over 200,000 miles and 12 years, including several trail rides with NAXJA-NAC.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had/have some Rusty's and RC parts. Trac bars from Rusty's. They seem OK. With Rusty's , they charge a bunch for shipping. So with that factored in, you could step up to the next level of parts. Say, OME or RE.

I do have RC rear springs. They lack the anti-friction pads. For a few bucks more, your at Zone. Maybe a bit more than that, OME. I do have a set of OME rear springs to install.

On control arms, I don't know if the set I have is Rusty's or RC. I think RC. The upper has 1/16 sheet metal to the axle. Compared to 1/4 for Core. Core has 3 level of control arms. 

I do have items from Iron Rock and Ironman 4X4. Always good stuff. Ruff Stuff should get a mention, too. I haven't used Stinky Fab or Metal Cloak. Plenty of other smaller firms, that make items worth looking at.

6 hours ago, benjy_26 said:

What are your thoughts on them? 

They definitely lifted the truck and the ride is good, no sagging after 3 years and multiple heavy loads.  The weight capacity doesn't seem to be as good as stock.  I've hauled a lot with it and it can still hold a decent amount of weight but not quite as much as before.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:25 AM, nknapp16 said:

Trying to find rear lift, no soa....3 inch, but could be talked into 4.5. Hell creek discontinued leafs. Rather not go w Rusy's, but can't find anything else. Any other other options for AAL or full leaf pack?

Hell Creek has not discontinued leafs.  We are just not making them ourselves anymore.  We closed our spring factory down at the end of 2012 because we could not operate the factory with a very limited number of volume customers. Our former customers preferred to find cheaper sources overseas.  We have found another American spring manufacturer who uses our blue prints to make our leaf springs.  They are a fourth generation spring company, like we were.  We still offer the Comanche Club 10% discount by the way.

Thanks,

Tom

2 hours ago, HellCreek said:

Hell Creek has not discontinued leafs.  We are just not making them ourselves anymore.  We closed our spring factory down at the end of 2012 because we could not operate the factory with a very limited number of volume customers. Our former customers preferred to find cheaper sources overseas.  We have found another American spring manufacturer who uses our blue prints to make our leaf springs.  They are a fourth generation spring company, like we were.  We still offer the Comanche Club 10% discount by the way.

Thanks,

Tom

Is the carrying capacity of your 4" leaves comparable to the stock leaves, or even the Metric Ton springs? 

9 hours ago, Dzimm said:

They definitely lifted the truck and the ride is good, no sagging after 3 years and multiple heavy loads.  The weight capacity doesn't seem to be as good as stock.  I've hauled a lot with it and it can still hold a decent amount of weight but not quite as much as before.

Do you notice more sag or side to side motion when loaded down?  

I ask because I recently installed a shell on my MJ and was thinking of building a sleeping/storage platform in the bed for camping.