Lift kit

17 minutes ago, benjy_26 said:

Do you notice more sag or side to side motion when loaded down?  

I ask because I recently installed a shell on my MJ and was thinking of building a sleeping/storage platform in the bed for camping. 

I actually would say it's more stable with weight in it.  With the lift it gets the weight up in the air and is more prone to swaying.  With it loaded down its actually pretty smooth out back.  

If you won't be doing any crazy offroading, you could put a rear sway bar in it and it would be extremely stable.  It's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

4 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I actually would say it's more stable with weight in it.  With the lift it gets the weight up in the air and is more prone to swaying.  With it loaded down its actually pretty smooth out back.  

If you won't be doing any crazy offroading, you could put a rear sway bar in it and it would be extremely stable.  It's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Awesome. Good to know. I'm swapping in an Explorer 8.8 using heavy duty perches, but staying SUA, so I'll be losing about 1.5" from any spring I install. It should help mitigate any weird dynamics, I think. 

4 hours ago, HellCreek said:

The carrying capacity of our lifted springs, 3 and 4.5 inch are 1440 lbs.,which is shy of the 1725 lb. Metric Ton springs, but a lot more than the 760 lb. springs that came on my truck.

Awesome! Thanks! 

22 minutes ago, nknapp16 said:

Here's current leaf....is this alot of leafs?4125e298ae698379d51eafda613ff0d8.jpg2a5ef2041c7edf8936a760a0fba94678.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah that allot. I can't 7 I believe. Factory was 3 or 4 I believe. My lift springs are only 4. I would guess it's a bastard pack someone put together.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:45 PM, 1989commanche said:

I just installed a set of the General Spring #gsc-571

they gave me about 4 1/2” of lift and more load handling over the stockers. 

4 1/2" over stock or over what was on the truck?

2 hours ago, 1989commanche said:

The truck was stock. Started at about 33” to flare edge. Ended up at almost 37 3/4”. 

Just because it was stock doesn't mean it was stock ride height. Also you shouldn't measure your height at the flare. That's not an accurate way to measure how much lift you have over stock. That only shows you how much the springs lifted your arch from the old ones.

This is the only accurate way to measure how much lift you have. Not measuring the height of the flare to the ground.

While everyone has their own opinion, they are entitled to share it when asked.

However, before I did my lift, I looked to see what was available, for what I wanted to achieve.

Did the Research, and my own comparisons.

What I have, on my MJ now, Is what I wanted, at that time.

Got the parts to do the lift, from several sources.

Once I had everything together, I installed everything.

Final result, 5" lift, 32" tires on Stock 8" 6-spoke Jeep wheels.

Had a Wobble issue, until I had Alignment done.

So, Do what you want, Just be Sure to Do Your OWN Checking, to get the Results that you want.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, nknapp16 said:

Finished the install new GS metric leafs, but I added the chevy lowering shackle kit. Looks like 10.5 from top of axle to bottom frame.....

Interesting. Which shackles did you use? 

I'm on stock leafs (non-MT) and Belltech shackles and mine is 10.5 from top of axle to frame.

ok i didnt ask the question, but for three inches of lift with a budget of ab 300, rustys or rough country? its a 2wd but i hate that its so low. i like sitting higher up so i can see better and feel safer. it will get wheeled some but not anything extreme. its a daily so what rides better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t do either. Get a set of 3 inch front springs (brand doesn’t really matter for that part) and then check out my add-a-leaf write up for the rear. I netted about 3 inches of lift. 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, nknapp16 said:

I lied,  I measured old stock shackle at 4.25 inches eye to eye and new ones 7.5 inches. Still doesn't seem like much tho. But looking g at before and after, looks much better.

Shackles only change one end of the spring, so you only get about half of the difference in length in lift. So you got about 1 1/2".

Edit: Oops, drop from the shackles. Needed to re-read.

I wouldn’t do either. Get a set of 3 inch front springs (brand doesn’t really matter for that part) and then check out my add-a-leaf write up for the rear. I netted about 3 inches of lift. 

if i get springs don't i need shocks?

Long term, yes. But in the normal range of travel, you are probably OK.

But most people like to pick their shocks, and many kits don't allow, or charge a premium for decent shocks.

Long term, yes. But in the normal range of travel, you are probably OK.

But most people like to pick their shocks, and many kits don't allow, or charge a premium for decent shocks.

ok so a buddy of mine has some 3.5 inch(i think) lift springs for an xj for 40 bucks. ik it will fit but will it give me the same amount of lift? also its skyjacker is that any good?