The future of the ComancheClub...

Pete M

The loss of Don was a huge blow to our little community.  Many of us called him friend and all of us saw him as a wise sage and Jeep mentor.  But even now as I fight back tears, this post is about the more practical aspect of no longer having him around.  He was a prolific poster, loved to engage new members, and he answered every question he could.  He knew a lot, he posted a lot, and his absence from the forums is palpable.  Even if you didn't know him personally, something probably feels... off compared to a couple months ago.  I've been trying to step up my game and fill the gap, but my poor brain simply cannot do what Don's could.  I need help.  None of you should feel like they have to do it all, but if each member made a point to maybe check in Tech an extra time each day, or chat up something in the pub, or maybe comment on the MJ builders' threads a bit more, it'd be a huge help.   :beerchug:   Engagement, communication and having fun are the keys to keeping this place from becoming just a library of MJ data, and I can't do it alone.

:thanks:

and speaking of our library, we could always use some new DIY threads!  :L: 

another thing I've been dwelling on is we need more get-togethers. :grinyes:  actually seeing the people we chat with each day.  It'll forever be one of my biggest regrets not driving out to see Don. :(   I plan on traveling out to Colorado this spring or early summer and it'd be nice to have a meetup or 2 along the way plus a big one in Pueblo CO to help Jim's widow, Katie, with tearing down that old trailer by the road and maybe finishing the fence so her chickens can help with grasshopper control on the "lawn".  (some years it's like a biblical locust swarm!)  We need to do some wheelin' in the mountains for sure. :comanche:    Not sure if I can also do Moab like my big trip in '06 (that's another 14 hour round trip from Pueblo on top of the 20+ hrs just to get to there), but... I dunno.  maybe if I break it up sufficiently I won't exhaust my body too much. 

gotta dream big, right?   :D

7 minutes ago, Isaiah Hahn said:

Hello! I'm pretty new to this forum, I own an 86 MJ with the good ol 2.8. I was wondering where would this meet take place around.

Let's not assume that there will only be ONE get-together. The USA is a big country, and our members are scattered everywhere. I'm sure we could arrange more than one. Might include some wheeling, or it might include just looking at Jeeps, drinking beer, and swapping lies about what great wrenches we all are.

In my head I was picturing a map, like our new locations google map, but with markers of people who like to meet up and then different markers with who could actually host an event (this could be their actual place if they don't mind 10 trucks all showing up at once or a local place to meet up, like a car show or offroad park).  just brain stormin' at the moment.  nothing concrete yet.

Pete, it's hard to put into words what you're trying to say, but I think we all understand and agree with ya.  I don't have an MJ anymore:sad: and barely have a Jeep (KJ) that I don't wheel, lol.  I still try to help out in Tech where I can though, from my experience with what I did with my MJ when I had it.  I do see a lack of tech when it comes to the 2.5, as most everyone has a 4.0.  I'm glad to assist with 2.5 tech as that's what mine started out with.

Id be down for an east coast meet and greet too.  I've only met a handful of members here and most of them have been either from VA/NC or PA.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Any meets near central Iowa, I will be there. Anything within a couple hours I'll try to make for sure.

I like Eagle's idea of looking at Jeeps and sharing some drinks

Agreed. The only Comanche I have seen in a long time is mine.

Pete,

I have been on this forum since 2007 and have around 100 posts, which is embarrassingly bad. I will absolutely make the effort to give as much as I take from this club going forward. Thank you for your post it really hit home. I think with the Gladiator coming out there will be more interest in the Comanche. Wherever I go in mine I always meet people who want to stop and look at it. It was an eye opener to be at SEMA 2018 and see built Comanches. When did that ever happen before?

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

The loss of Don was a huge blow to our little community.  Many of us called him friend and all of us saw him as a wise sage and Jeep mentor.  But even now as I fight back tears, this post is about the more practical aspect of no longer having him around.  He was a prolific poster, loved to engage new members, and he answered every question he could.  He knew a lot, he posted a lot, and his absence from the forums is palpable.  Even if you didn't know him personally, something probably feels... off compared to a couple months ago.  I've been trying to step up my game and fill the gap, but my poor brain simply cannot do what Don's could.  I need help.  None of you should feel like they have to do it all, but if each member made a point to maybe check in Tech an extra time each day, or chat up something in the pub, or maybe comment on the MJ builders' threads a bit more, it'd be a huge help.   :beerchug:   Engagement, communication and having fun are the keys to keeping this place from becoming just a library of MJ data, and I can't do it alone.

:thanks:

and speaking of our library, we could always use some new DIY threads!  :L: 

another thing I've been dwelling on is we need more get-togethers. :grinyes:  actually seeing the people we chat with each day.  It'll forever be one of my biggest regrets not driving out to see Don. :(   I plan on traveling out to Colorado this spring or early summer and it'd be nice to have a meetup or 2 along the way plus a big one in Pueblo CO to help Jim's widow, Katie, with tearing down that old trailer by the road and maybe finishing the fence so her chickens can help with grasshopper control on the "lawn".  (some years it's like a biblical locust swarm!)  We need to do some wheelin' in the mountains for sure. :comanche:    Not sure if I can also do Moab like my big trip in '06 (that's another 14 hour round trip from Pueblo on top of the 20+ hrs just to get to there), but... I dunno.  maybe if I break it up sufficiently I won't exhaust my body too much. 

gotta dream big, right?   :D

Off? Way off, it seems completely different and I can tell you have really put forth extra effort(maybe some of your grief) both on here and Facebook. I barely new Don other than his posts but his impact seams like it took away 1/3 of mj history away. It's like our instant mj Google search engine vanished and we are back to the dark ages.

Don clearly was a big presence and a wealth of knowledge on the cc site. I never chatted with him but he definitely made an impact here. As a newer member to the club and an mj owner who is learning a lot about my Jeep all the time, I’ll say it’s been super helpful to check in each day and see what repairs and mods and quirks members are working on. It also makes me realize how unique and rare these trucks are. When people chat me up about my truck, I’ll say the majority are folks who had an mj who have a story they love to tell about it and they’re so eager to share. 

As for meeting up, I would definitely love to meet other members and their mjs. Sadly here on Martha’s Vineyard there are half a dozen mjs crushed at the local jy and only one other mj on the road. If there are any other members in Massachusetts or on the east coast that want to try and meet up I’ll do what I can. Cheers🍻

Pete, two points I'd like to make, publicly. 

Several months ago, at your suggestion, I sent Don a PM and asked to make peace with him. He responded, his last statement to me was to ask me to never contact him again. 

I'm not the only one who has not made a public statement regarding his death, it saddens me when anyone dies.....well, I'll leave it at that. 

For the most part, people are not monolithic nor are they superficial. There are two members here whom I've spoken to on the phone- adding a bit of human contact does make for better relationships on a forum. I agree, meet-ups would be nice. Jeep Invasion takes place here once a year, central SE location, maybe this year?

Your site will be fine, let it breathe a bit, may even take on a new life. 

Lastly, I've belonged to other sites also which work so hard to be the 'friendliest' that they are not friendly at all, actually these sites end up with an undercurrent of combativeness. 

Let it breathe. 

46 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Pete, two points I'd like to make, publicly. 

You should know that HOrnbrod really respected what you brought to the community when you were on-topic and helpful.  Both of you bantered publicly for a long time, but even he couldn't deny your attention to detail, and the quality of work you put into your truck.  That's what's great about this community - even polar opposite personalities like yourselves could find things in common to agree on, if only to disagree. 

As Pete said, it's going to take members just like us to continue on.  This site will take on new life, inspired by those like HOrnbrod that gave so much to us.  I'm going to try to post more on things I know about.  I hope to see you at the All-Breeds Jeep Show in York, PA this year in July.  I just posted a sticky in the Pub with details.  Would be good to meet up.

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

In my head I was picturing a map, like our new locations google map, but with markers of people who like to meet up and then different markers with who could actually host an event (this could be their actual place if they don't mind 10 trucks all showing up at once or a local place to meet up, like a car show or offroad park).  just brain stormin' at the moment.  nothing concrete yet.

I've got enough space in my yard for at least ten MJs -- I've had a lot more than that here for a NAXJA-NAC BBQ. It has to be no earlier than mid-June, though -- the front yard is pretty soft and swampy until then. If anyone wants to trek to southern Connecticut, let me know and we'll get something together.

22 hours ago, Pete M said:

Nicely stated Pete M.   As an amateur 'wheeler' I've been poking around the desert and woods in the Cherokee for about 15 years, and old Chevys all my life. (I've earned the grey in this beard of mine! LOL)  I finally acquired a Comanche two years ago, and I'm just a rear driveline away from finally having it on the road.  The journey from 2x4 to 4x4 has been one of my biggest undertakings alone, and finding Comanche Club has been invaluable.  So many people with such great knowledge!  In this modern way of sharing information we lose sight of shared experiences.  That only comes from busted knuckles, the occasional 'Adult Beverage' in the shop, that friendly rivalry that only happens when your buddies have to tow or pull you out of a tough spot and the occasional rift between friends as they find new ways to do what others might think is a waste of time or resource. 

Where I live in Central Oregon we count distance in drive time, not miles.  It's four hours to the pacific coast, Washington, Idaho or California.  That means I'm four hours FROM all of you!    I'm on five acres that would host a handful of enthusiasts who need a place to pitch a tent and sear some dead cow on their way to a new adventure.  I don't have much, but together we pretty much have it all!  

Now I didn’t know Don at all on here, he asked me on question on my truck and it was why my spare was in the bed. If he was still around he probably would be happy to see I made a new winch and stuffed it under Little Red. I do feel the impact of his passing despite not knowing him. 

But as an aged out Boy Scout and Eagle, I will do my best to fulfill your requests Pete. I’ll admit, I’m terrible about posting on here except to update “Little Red” but am always on here looking at tech and everyone’s projects but have nothing to say unless I know I can chime in and say something. Now I know nothing about the 4.0Litre but I have a love and passion for the pre Chrysler AMC 2.5’s. I love knowing what makes that little engine tick and I have two official pieces of AMC dealer literature about the engine and the Renix system and a factory manual. I’ll definitly do my best to help out with all the 2.5Litre owners. 

I think if we all team up and work together to share as much knowledge and help each other as much as possible, I don't think this place is going anywhere. We all share a passion so deep, that losing such a valuable friend and resource should bring is together and make this community stronger! I live in central California and the closest member to me is over 2 hrs away but once I get the 4wd swap done, there's nothing I wouldn't like more than to meet up with some fellow enthusiasts and have a little meet and greet! The closest OHV area to me is Pismo like 45 mins north but been dying to go on some trail rides!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk