Wrenches Gone Wild!!!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time to do a real update. :thumbsup:

So I picked up some nice steel angles pieces at lowes.

35825590606_d9b2aee887_z.jpg

Trimmed them down a little in case it turned on the bolt.

35057012833_3157f2c1d6_b.jpg

Then freed the engine from its long bondage.

35478379760_4d148b4908_b.jpg

Once freed it was quick to get mated to the tranny.

35866322465_95c5930663_b.jpg

I liked that so much I did it three times. :brows:   First time I forgot the splash shield.  Second time I forgot to line up the torque converter.  And of course the third time was a charm.

So now to fill this space.

35478379750_75b3ea4fde_b.jpg

Almost there.

35478379730_bf9493e515_b.jpg

Managed to ding up the lip on the firewall but that can be fixed. :doh:

And after 8 years.

35734505221_1633626d26_b.jpg

Had some trouble with the aftermarket tranny crossmember but I made it work.  Will still be awhile before it turns over for the first time but it is at least closer to that moment. :banana:

Haze gray all the way!! Love it Chief.  :cheers:

No biggie, but I'd pickup a 1994 and up distributor and stick it in there, and you'll never have to pull it again unless the shaft breaks or the drive gear strips unlike the earlier one that's in there now. 

Haze gray all the way!! Love it Chief.  :cheers:

No biggie, but I'd pickup a 1994 and up distributor and stick it in there, and you'll never have to pull it again unless the shaft breaks or the drive gear strips unlike the earlier one that's in there now. 

Thanks Mate.  :cheers:  That's one of the many thing I have to address prior to firing it up.  Along with the oil filter adapter, harmonic balancer, ac stuff, etc. etc. :shake:

Worked on some of the engine wiring and decided to clean up the tcase.

Noticed some play in the output.

35825591046_da4dee8959_b.jpg

Ended up being that the bolt was missing holding the flange on.  I remember the guy I bought it from told me that I would need to get another bolt.  Proceeded to clean.

35866324275_e227d852f9_b.jpg

Noticed that a couple of studs to bolt it to the tranny are bent and wondered why the speedo locking clip was missing.

Pulled it out to find a chewed up speedo gear.

35866323595_d05ce318c8_b.jpg

Figured well its plastic so if it was off it would get messed up but then I looked in the hole to find this mess.

35825590926_d92cfa6915_b.jpg

35866324295_3eb0e890d0_b.jpg

Not to happy at this point.  I'm thinking that the guy I got this from was not 100% truthful with me.  Seems maybe that the bolt holding the flange on came out while wheeling and trashed the insides.  Now I'm debating on just using the other 242 that I have without the SYE, rebuilding this one, or using the two to come up with one.

Two steps forward, one step back. :shake:

Nice and Clean engine bay and engine!   Keep up the good work !

Transfer cases are one of those things when I buy one I always split the cases and check the condition internally!  They are cheap and easy to rebuild with just a few simple tools!  Keep them full of ATF and they will last a long time!

sucks that you got sold a lemon,

split the cases and swap the output shafts with one another, and keep the lemon as parts and/or use the other 242 planetary as a crawl box!

Well that looks like what I'll have to do.  Split the tcase open to find the oil pump had exploded so I would have to pull this one completely apart anyway.  Even though the metal on the oil pump is just soft cheap cast it still may have damaged something.  I'll order a rebuild kit and rebuild the other 242 using the output shaft, chain, and tail housing from this one.

35866324215_3f93b1769b_b.jpg

35026712164_07a04c7af1_b.jpg

Magnet works.

35866324185_b2dedc0d9f_b.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to know it's a joke.  :laughin: Keep up the good work! What's your background? Are you just a DIY kind of guy or do you have some experience as a mechanic? Either way it's truly amazing the attention to detail. :bowdown:  

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...