Wrenches Gone Wild!!!

WARNING: The following pictures are not suitable for all viewers. Viewer discretion is advised. :eek: 

What happens when good wrenches are put in the hands of a father and son duo against an 88 Comanche? Their innocent shinny crome, is going to get covered in sweat and oil, in "Wrenches Gone WILD". :wrench: 

Uhum, well enough of that. Here is my project in the works. Starting out with a 88 MJ 2wd with a 2.5 4 speed tranny. She's not a bad looker with a solid body.
35825575526_b926f84beb_b.jpg
35825575566_6010d3b6dc_z.jpg
Here's the plan, Strip her down to nothing. :brows: 

35057013083_7bb49f2f06_b.jpg
35478379810_68c98b8465_b.jpg
I don't even want to know what made these. :oops: 

35734504631_56456ed758_z.jpg

I was hoping for better but this wasn't too bad for the floor pan.

35734505201_48d11569ff.jpg
35866322725_249e943059_b.jpg
Out comes the dash.

35734505151_d7e8956bfc_z.jpg

Lesson learned no. 1. If it doesn't come out, Don't force it. :doh: 

35866321635_d5c3b8d53b.jpg
Getting close now

35866325145_d4f1a7e0b2_b.jpg

There, she's pretty much naked on the inside.

35825589786_c646f7a6b7_b.jpg

Now for the 4 banger.

35866322025_ea7c6f4b7d_b.jpg

This wasn't the best idea to hold the tranny.

35825589686_5b5dc77d33_b.jpg

Lesson learned no. 2, drain the tranny fluid. :thwak: 

35866322655_c9ca22b613_z.jpg
Thank goodness for epoxy floors. :thumbsup: 

35478379870_5a7c197741_b.jpg

Well I figure in a couple more weeks or so she'll be heading to the paint shop. We still have to pull the bed off and a few other misc. things, oh and of course pressure wash the crap out of her. While she's there we'll
make, Wrenchs Gone WILD!!! Part 2. Starring the "Donor". :eek: 

89 XJ, 4.0 auto 4X4.
35026695884_e81de1ec4c_b.jpg

She'll be donating the drivetrain, interior, and axles.

Bucket seats.
35057000983_2730ddfc5b_b.jpg

Have a lot of plans for the build up, so I'll be posting lots of pic's. I'm sure at some point we'll actually come up with a more suitable name for the project once we start putting it back together.
:cheers: 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, ya gotta tell me about the floor...

How hard was it to do? Do you have to do a lot of prep? Do you have to wax it? How much does it cost? Where can I get it?

Back to the MJ... Yeah, remember to drain things. I did that once pulling a diff cover from an axle that wasn't in the truck. Got 20 year old gear oil all over my $#!&/chest/crotch.

nice. holy sh*t batman, even I've never had that much off an mj at one time...and i've stripped 4 and built 3 besides, with 3 more in the near future between my new toy, dad's TD, and one i'm working on for a guy.

make sure you put in the power doors and such! and drain the oil on the xj first.. ;)

Floor was pretty easy. I got it at Lowes in a kit.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

First you have to scrub it down with a cleaner that is in the kit. Mine was real easy because the garage was just added on. Once it is good and dry, you mix the two part epoxy together, cut in all the edges and then roll it out. Every so often you throw the paint chips over the fresh area. I damp mop it from time to time. Cleans up nice and so far it hasn't stained. jamminz.gif

I need to do that to my floor too, damn house projects get in the way of the Jeep projects.

I am doing almost the samething, still shopping for donar Jeep or parts. You are swapping the doors right? The wiring is easy, if you have any issues let me know, I have some good sites book marked. I swapped laredo doors into my 91 Eliminator, doing the same thing to this MJ I have now.

Keep us posted, that will be one sweet MJ jamminz.gif

You are swapping the doors right? The wiring is easy, if you have any issues let me know, I have some good sites book marked. I swapped laredo doors into my 91 Eliminator, doing the same thing to this MJ I have now.

We do plan on swapping the power windows and locks. I'm going to try without swapping the whole door but if thats too much trouble than we'll see. Wiring shouldn't be to hard because I'm going to be using the xj's harness. I'll keep you in mind if that plan falls through. :D

Well I pulled the headliner and windshield tonight. Headliner was cake but that windshield was a PITA! :mad:

35866325095_2914e3d4de_b.jpg

Lesson learned no. 3. Don't buy some wizbang gizmo to remove the windshield. It doesn't work. :wall:

35825591846_53bf088404.jpg

At least it was broke already(Lesson no.1 :yes: ) Need a better way to remove the rear. We plan on replacing it but I don't want to break a factory split window.  I'd like to be able to sell it later.

the guys we have that do windsheilds at work have a battery power reciproacting saw with a large round tiped blade thing. its pretty sweet to watch them remove windshields with it, they hardly ever break them to which is remarkable to me

the guys we have that do windsheilds at work have a battery power reciproacting saw with a large round tiped blade thing. its pretty sweet to watch them remove windshields with it, they hardly ever break them to which is remarkable to me

I thought about breaking out the saw but I didn't want to learn another lesson. :dunce:

get some small cable for the rear, or a hot knife...you can use the cable like a saw

I tried the cable on the windshield. It worked okay on the sides but the bottom and top wouldn't have it. I ended up using a box knife, screw driver, and another big knife. Was very tempted to use my size 10 shoe. :brows:

With the rear being flat, I'm hoping it will be easier. I'll probably try the hot knife. I think I read somewhere in the tech forum about the gasket on the outside had to come off first if I remember right.

yes, to pull the gasket start in one of the corners and peal up the outer layer (the part that you see...its 1 piece but this part is like a flange)...it will probably be stuck to the paint. then you can actually pull it all the way out slowly by starting at a corner. the gasket centers the window, it's glued in with the same stuff as the front.

hehe, i almost said remove the rear interior panels and headliner...then i remembered how far down you got that thing.

why are you removing the rear window?

why are you removing the rear window?

Two reasons, one there is a small dent where something slid forward in the bed. It's still functional, but I have to pull it to fix the dent under the window.

35866322795_59be2d50a5_b.jpg

and two, I'm stealing this idea from someone that posted it up on here.

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/ ... ml?Origin=
http://www.trucknvans.com/Truck_T_Slide ... _s/815.htm

Looking at the POWR version. :drool:

if you find a dealer who does business with them on the internet, let me know, I'm looking to get a latch for a 4 piece back window, unfortunatly i don't think that that company does business with the general public, just bulk buyers.

Jonathan

if you find a dealer who does business with them on the internet, let me know, I'm looking to get a latch for a 4 piece back window, unfortunatly i don't think that that company does business with the general public, just bulk buyers.

Here ya go. I think this may be the one you want but they have others.

http://www.trucknvans.com/ProductDetail ... tCode=DVL2

what part of VA are you in? congrats on the truck, looks like a fun project.

I'm down in Chesapeake. I've seen jeep stuff on craigslist in King George, is that you?

what part of VA are you in? congrats on the truck, looks like a fun project.

I'm down in Chesapeake. I've seen jeep stuff on craigslist in King George, is that you?

Nope, I haven't posted anything on Craigslist yet. They selling anything good? Welcome and next time I'm heading to the OBX, I'll make sure to wave :wavey: And sorry to pull your thread off-topic.

Is you rig a LWB or SWB? Anyways nice project and keep up the good work. What is your ultimate goal for it?

It's a SWB. Thanks for the support. The ultimate goal is to have a very nice looking and dependable MJ that will serve as a great DD and be fairly capable offroad. Update the interior with a few more modern things here and there, have some new parts for the grille, will do a complete rebuild of the donor motor with all new parts, convert to 4wd auto, and hopefully find one of those mythical D44's. Oh and of course a new paint job. By the time it's done, I may have to call the project the $10K MJ.

you should sell all the xj parts you have and buy a wrecked 98 and update the engine/interior/drivetrain/doors....

We thought about that but the son wants to try and keep the stock look.

• 2 months later...

Well it's been awhile, but finally made the next chapter in Wrenches Gone Wild. The Wet T-shirt Edition. :eek:

Took the bed off
35734504571_76fe4faefc_b.jpg

Started pressure washing the goop out of the engine compartment and frame.
35697137702_908630412d_b.jpg

35057013043_8149a0f833_z.jpg

Undercoating is coming off pretty good so far.
35057013053_7f76fce2ae_b.jpg

Getting the rest of that darn plastic off the doors.
35866322275_e830da74bf_z.jpg

Will continue tomorrow with the pressure washer. Going to try and get the rest of the crud off. Hopefully get it to the paint shop this week.

Sorry no pic's of the wet T-shirt but I was behind the camera. :nanner: