Wrenches Gone Wild!!!

Well between the yardwork and a drop of rain now and again, I managed to get the front axle painted today.

35478369360_b84e8c73c3_b.jpg

Also finished putting primer on the leaf packs. Hope to have them finish in the next day or so.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got a bit more done this weekend but nothing too exciting. Kind of feels like I'm going backwards though. I took out both axles and all the suspension parts along with the steering box.

Out with the old 2wd axle.

35057003043_a3fe9dc788_z.jpg
35478369390_82e2bde897_b.jpg

Once I got it out I was able to finish painting the frame forward of the cab.

35057003223_9034dd2313_z.jpg
35478369640_966f6291ac_z.jpg

Also got the spring packs painted and back together. Still need to get a couple of bolts for them.

35057003093_be41ec0c70_b.jpg
35478369430_2f288e46b7_b.jpg

Plan is to get as much as I can related to the frame done before moving on. Will be running all the electrical, brake lines, fuel lines, and installing the gas tank next. More to come. biggrin.png

:cheers:

Hey man, What paint are you using for everything??

Well for the frame I used POR 15 in spots and chassis coat from POR-15. It has a lot of the same properties of POR 15, is not UV sensitive, and is designed for the frame and firewalls. It goes on kind of thick and reminds me of that rubberized coating you dip tools in. I got a quart just to see how I liked it and managed to do the whole frame. It brushes on great. Far as the axles and pretty much everthing else, I used rustoleum automotive primer (2 coats) then the rustoleum professional high performance enamel (2 coats). I used gloss on the axles, but semi gloss on the spring packs. I like the semi gloss because it covers misstakes better. :D With everything I've painted, prep work makes the difference. I degrease first with purple power. Then if needed or if possible I wire wheel the surface or for smaller parts I sandblast. The frame got degreased and pressure wash before I sent it to paint. Also right before I paint, I wipe it down with mineral spirits.

It's not perfect but I feel pretty good that it will hold up for a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have the front axle and suspension out, I've been cleaning up the wheel wells. I got a set of inner plastic covers out of a 95 XJ to replace my cracked ones. At first I pulled a set off a 2000 XJ but soon realized that 97+ XJs would not work. However I noticed something that made me wonder about the MJs. There were strips of foam rubber tucked between the rear of the fender and door. Once I got home I noticed how there was big holes/gaps between the two and how the rubber would help keep stuff out of the door jam and provide some sound deadning. So long story short, here is what I did.

Arrow shows the door seen through the fender.

35057003413_ca332d1919.jpg

Took a piece of cardboard and a protractor and made a template of the gap.

35478369660_42f950c682.jpg

Used the template to cut out one for each side.

35057003313_b06ed09847.jpg

Then put them in place. I made them a bit bigger so they would fit nice and tight and not move around after a few bumps.

35057003443_d302476bf8.jpg

I left a small opening at the bottom, below the door, so if water does get in, it can drain.

35478369820_31432579f6_b.jpg

I also put the hard lines back on. There a little funky at the front because the firewall bracket is not on yet.

35057003363_860950206f_b.jpg

This pic tells me I need to do something with the underside of the bed.

35057003383_19443593d4_b.jpg

When I spray the undercoating in the wheel wells, I'll hit the bed with a light coat to cover up the old blue color. Then I'll put the gas tank in. Debating whether to paint the tank or just clean it up good. I should get the rest of my parts to put the front axle in this week. Then I can put the new RE 4.5 inch springs in place of the Rusty's 3 inchers.

35057003493_61d788f756_z.jpg

your work makes mine look like crap.

beautiful job dude, great attention to detail. you are doing everything i want to do

Don't sell yourself short. You've done more than I could ever do. Ours is all show no go. While we've been tripping over parts in the garage, you've been driving yours.

I love seeing all the updates to your truck. Like i've said before, keep up the amazing work!

Once yours is done, i believe that it will be the NICEST MJ ever!!!!!!!!! and i really mean that. There are a lot of nice mj's on here, but yours will take the cake for sure. jamminz.gif

Thanks to all for the great compliments. :cheers: They motivate me to get things done. :thumbsup:

Got my tie rod dust boots today from Jegs.

35478369850_d6c1f6cc85.jpg

Put them on and was able to put the ZJ tie rod and draglink on the axle. (one less thing to trip over). Also installed the new UCA bushings.

35478369900_36a9fc2d6a_b.jpg
35057003563_d4aaf7b1f6_b.jpg

Kinda hard to see but I'll get some more pics when it's under the truck. Was going to do a little painting but the temp drop down into the mid 50's so I figured I'd wait for a little warmer day. Instead, I cleaned up the inner fender covers.

35478369920_14b27357ba_b.jpg

I'm going to wait till I get the drop brackets before I install the axle so I only have to do it once. I'm sure with all that is left to do I'll find something to do in it's place. :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm still waiting on the drop brackets from Rocky Road Outfitters :headpop: I doubt I'll ever order from them again.

I finally got around to finishing the gas tank.
First I had to swap the 4 banger fuel pump with the 4.0's

35478370170_32fe0d42b2.jpg35057003813_7c77b4d272.jpg

Here it is all back together with a new foot screen.

35478370380_fc95e01d7b_b.jpg

Painted the tank semi-gloss black and put everything back in it.

35057004093_966085e067_b.jpg

Cleaned up the plastic skid and painted the straps.

35478370190_fbc120a9de_b.jpg

Put it back where it belongs.

35057004143_1608291ae6_b.jpg
35057004123_922098deb5_b.jpg

also got the bed undercoated as you can tell from the tank pic's. A lot better than the earlier pic's. Stubbled across the blow outs in the box with some of the tank parts so I cleaned them up and put them in.

35478370200_b0d954495e_z.jpg

I know it's not much, but I guess everything I get done gets me a little closer.

I know it's not much, but I guess everything I get done gets me a little closer.

:thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool::thwak: :fool: :thwak: :fool:

you big jerk. :P

mfpdm, here's you

"oh, i've only done the nicest job EVER restoring a comanche to better than factory, but it's not much. i think i could have done better, there is a one micron spot where there is no paint...i'm really worried that that might come back and bite me"

honestly, you do a nicer job than i've EVER seen on this man. i'm proud to have you here as a fellow club member. jamminz.gif

fuel pump question.....

Did you just swap the 4.0 pump onto the 2.5 bracket, or swap entire assemblies? If you swapped pumps, how did you mount it on the 2.5 bracket? And if you swapped assemblies, is that an XJ or MJ assembly you have pictured there? How'd you make that work?

That's the last piece of the logistical puzzle I hafta figure out for my 4.0 swap, what to do with the fuel pump. I just replaced the 2.5 pump in mine about a month or so ago :headpop: (so I know it's good and brand new) and was going to initially try it and see if it will supply enough pressure to the injectors (two others who have done 2.5/4.0 swaps and said they didn't swap pumps, but I would only do it temporarily).

Thanks,

Jeff

I ordered a few thing from Rocky Road Outfitters and always had great customer service....

:mad: Well here's the deal, I bought the drop brackets off their ebay listing which stated they have 84 availible. They also stated at the bottom that it could take up to 20 business days to ship. I figured that maybe that was just a cut and paste from their other auctions where they get the items right from the manufactors. Seeing how they make the drop brackets, and claimed 84 availible, I figured they would of shipped them in a couple of days. I emailed them to ask if it had been shipped and for a tracking number and the reply back was that the auction clearly stated 20 business days. :roll: How hard is it to take it off the shelf, put it in the box, put a shipping label on it and call for UPS pickup. I'm starting to think this is a one man operation working out of his parents garage. Don't understand this kind of business practice of not trying your best to satisfy the customers. Looking at their feedback, they are hit and miss and unfortunitly, I'm on the miss list.soapbox.gif I'll step down now.

Oh and Pat, why did you have to hit me soooo many times.

J/K.

I guess I get a little anal about doing things sometimes and expect too much of myself. :brows:

Thanks again for the great comments.

fuel pump question.....

Did you just swap the 4.0 pump onto the 2.5 bracket......Thanks,

Jeff

Yep, the brackets are pretty much the same as far as just the pump goes. The 4.0 pump on the upper mount has a tab that fits into the XJ unit. I just flatten it out and made sure I torqued it down good on the MJ unit. I was just going to leave the old one but there is a big difference in pump pressures. 13 psi for 4cyl TBI and 23 psi for the fuel injected 4.0. (I think those numbers are right)

Cool, thanks. I've got a brand new XJ sending unit with pump to work with. I was just looking at the 2.5 pump and bracket when I had it out recently, and wondered if a 4.0 pump would bolt into it. Now I know....

Jeff

p.s. I'm gonna have to make a roadtrip one of these weekends down to check out your MJ. I'm jealous ;)

Cool, thanks. I've got a brand new XJ sending unit with pump to work with. I was just looking at the 2.5 pump and bracket when I had it out recently, and wondered if a 4.0 pump would bolt into it. Now I know....

Jeff

p.s. I'm gonna have to make a roadtrip one of these weekends down to check out your MJ. I'm jealous ;)

Yeah the 2.5 pump has a rubber spacer/bushing on the bottom bracket that has to come out for the 4.0 to fit.

If ya come down send me a list of parts you want to get rid of or need and I'll do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm in day 19 of the drop bracket hostage crisis. RRO still has not even shipped them.

Put the 97+ washer bottle in just so I could get away from the other MJ project thats starting to eat at my time.

Here it is.
35478371390_ea347df14c_b.jpg

Used Hornbrod's great write up here New Windshield Washer Tank Install

I noticed there are slight differences in my firewall compared to his, but his instructions still work perfectly.

Here's the hole I cut in. I used a 1" hole saw which is not big enough. A 1 1/4 inch would be perfect I think. Then I used the dremel to make it bigger and to fit the filler tube.

35478371290_7cf07166da_b.jpg

View of the tank inplace from below.

35478371430_a6e8264ab3_z.jpg

From the top.

35478371400_6b2fe0e3cf_z.jpg

I hit the hole with primer and paint than mounted it with two ss screws. Will wire it up later when I get the wiring harness back in.