Wrenches Gone Wild!!!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much in progress. I finally got my drop brackets on the 40th day only to be missing hardware. :headpop: Now I'm waiting on that.

35825579516_78042037b7_b.jpg

I did however pick up a rebuilt motor for $150.

35866322175_f2ac4787ab_b.jpg
35866322225_daa6c61f7b_b.jpg
35866322125_4e2f2a32b9_b.jpg
35866322165_e2d9081d22_b.jpg

I,m to the point were once I get over the hump, it should be smooth sailing.

:cheers:

Wow, congrats. I'd freak out if I found a rebuilt 4-oh for a buck fitty. MF, you run across something like that again you just give ole WahooSteeler a call, I'll take it.

I speak for the masses in that we're excited you're close to getting over the hump. jamminz.gif

Wow, congrats. I'd freak out if I found a rebuilt 4-oh for a buck fitty. MF, you run across something like that again you just give ole WahooSteeler a call, I'll take it.

jamminz.gif

x2 here great score it sould like you took candy from baby. :cheers:

I speak for the masses in that we're excited you're close to getting over the hump. jamminz.gif

Stubbled across it on craigslist just looking around for parts. Emailed the guy not really expecting him to still have it since the listing was a couple of weeks old. The engine was rebuilt 10 years ago for a project and never installed or fired up. I'm not counting chickens until I pull the oil pan for a look see, but I'm feeling pretty confident about it. I drove up to Maryland on the eastern shore to pick it up.

Also got the rest of the hardware today for the drop brackets.

This long 4th of July weekend should pay off for getting some stuff done. :thumbsup:

Well didn't get as much as I wanted done over the long weekend, but here's what I did.

Installed the drop brackets that I got from Rocky Road Outfitters. I'll get this out of the way first. I'LL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM! Sorry but the poor business practices and after I got into the install and discovered their poor quality control lead me to the above statement.

First off I had to grind down a weld on the back side of the factory mount so the brace would sit flush.

35825579616_8a2c57c799_b.jpg

After putting the drivers side up and getting it where it should be, the quality control issues started. With the drop bracket in all the way the brace had a gap between the frame.

35825579586_af9d452e57_b.jpg

If I put the brace where it should be on the frame, then I had a gap between the bracket and brace.

35478371910_7aa1e4b35e_b.jpg

To fix this I elongated the holes on the brace and ground a little off the top to slide it up to fill the gap. This pic is after everything is tight and shows the brace, which is the only reason I went with these.

35478372120_cfcfdbf158_b.jpg

After fighting with the drivers side the passenger side one went on without modding but was still a PITA. As a result of using extra torque to get the brace tight with the bracket, I managed to warp a washer or two and nearly snapped a bolt. So I figured I needed better than the grade 5 hardware that it came with and replaced it all with grade 8.

35734500301_5645a4f2d3_z.jpg

Another pic showing both installed.

35734500321_10eea55f6c_b.jpg

Putting the lower control arms in brought more aggravation with the brackets because they would not go in because the gap was to small. After some prying and grinding, in they went. The uppers were just the opposite with way to large of a gap. Hooked up the rest of the control arms and axle. here's the result.

35734500391_38a6579d30_b.jpg
35478372190_0711bfc888_b.jpg
35734500371_3e4b93e219_b.jpg

All in all this took way longer than it should have. I still have a lot of little things to do before this part will be complete. I should have gone with a company that I know and trust to have quality parts. I'll keep these on for now until I come across a great deal for some RE drop brackets. I have a good feeling that I can use the braces with RE's as you can probably bet the RRO drop brackets have the same measurements on the lower portion.

Status on the motor is that it will not move by hand. I've pulled the pan and everything looks good but no movement. I've soaked it with penetrating oil and still no luck. I have a good feeling that the rings are stuck to the cylinder walls. Will be pulling it apart soon. If it ain't one thing it's another.

Say your engine is on a stand?? If so did you put any fluids on the under side of the pistons?? do that and knock it a few times with a rubber hammer..

Yep, my rubber mallet is one of my most used tools. :D Unfortunitly it failed me this time. :cry: Before I pull it apart, I'm going to flip it over and fill each cylinder with a good amount of penetrating oil and let it sit that way awhile. I think the PO turned it without taking any precautions or adding any fluids and may have broke something. :dunno:

Best MJ build ever! I really have to thank you for doing such a meticulous job on this build, you and your son are doing an awesome job! I also would like to thank you for the part you posted about the inner door pieces...I have been having this problem with my mj due to the fact they are not there, when I drive down my road and get to my house and open my door,I get a lap full of sand :cry: , but thanks to you I know what to do now jamminz.gif Keep up the great work guys.....You deserve something for your hard work........ :cheers:

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. Everything that I do on the MJ is a mirror reflection of the knowledge and ideas that I get from this site.

Now for some teaser pic's. :brows:

Got her down on all fours right in the garage. :brows: 

35478372240_069de86fdf_b.jpg

Man is she a dirty girl. biggrin.png

Then I couldn't help myself and took her out in the driveway.

35734500411_e111ba5b33_b.jpg
35478372310_316f9af296_b.jpg
35478372320_9277b79d4c_b.jpg

It was kind of overcast so the color in the pics is a little off. I think this one really shows the best color on her.

35734500431_ae009c4955_b.jpg

Wanted to pull her out to clean out some of the junk in the garage and out of the bed. Also to get my hardtop off my TJ and stowed in the overhead in the garage. That all changed when a rain storm started rolling in so everything went back into the garage as is. Anyhow, I still have a lot to do but it's getting there slowly but shirley.

you're letting your son drive this?!?!??!! :eek:

wow. it is BEAUTIFUL. just absolutely perfectly meticulously well built...I can't wait to see her done, and i cannot believe you haven't commandered it for yourself yet... :cheers: :brows:

Those are RE 4.5 in the front and SOA in the rear with 2wd leaf packs. Will be changing out the D35 with a D44 after the drive train is in. With the motor weight and the extra inch in the rear it should level out pretty good.

Inch by inch. Or I should I say piece by piece. Well I cleaned up the steering box to put it back in.

35734500471_a5871cacd9_z.jpg

But as you know how it works, I remembered that I have the tow hook brackets somewhere and will need to put them on first or pull the steering box back out later, soooo. That meant sand blasting, priming, and painting them. Got them in and then put the box in.

35478372510_2acd127800_z.jpg

A little hard to see with everything black. :eek:

35478372540_957e6d17e4_b.jpg

35734500551_442bc357d9_z.jpg
35734500521_00bf5b7f72_b.jpg

Will pull the hooks off or cover them with a piece of foam to save a few headaches while I work on other things. Just put them in there to help line everything up. Will also replace the hoses to the box later but for now they are keeping the fluid in. biggrin.png

You are using POR-15 on all the under carriage right?? It looks like power coating! Great job!! I'm with georgiaboy27 mines after his!! :brows:

The frame and the prone to rust badly items got POR-15 products. everything else is getting degreased, blasted or wire wheeled, then 2 to 3 coats of primer, then 2 to 3 coats of semi-gloss. Number of coats depends on how much abuse the part will take. I don't expect it to never rust or get dirty, but I'd like it to last a little while. :D

Far as who's next, the garage will be closed after this for a little while to catch up on the honey do's.