Wrenches Gone Wild!!!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay donyt really understand how that works but imn guessing it does

The 5.0 injectors are basically the same as 4.0 with the exception that they have 4 holes vs 1 that spray the fuel into the cylinder. They should perform better and give a small increase in gas mileage. They come from Precision Auto Injectors and are rebuilt and flow matched.

Look here at their web site. http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/main.sc

They list on ebay all the time. Got mine right at $100.

:cheers:

Finally tackled the wiring from the XJ dash harness to MJ rear harness.

Will do a write up later but basically I took the rear plugs from the XJ

35717985582_97a8dcf5ca_b.jpg

and matched them up with the dash plugs from the MJ

35047616684_bb2ce96ecc_b.jpg

and made a small harness(pigtail) that I could plug in to whats in the truck.

35047616504_599b909e2d_b.jpg

Put it in. It tucks away nicely. :thumbsup: Most of the connectors are well above the E-brake out of the way.

35717985282_d6fb299c72_z.jpg

In case your wondering about the cargo light thing mentioned in the pic above. Plan is to do LED lighting under the bedrails. I'm going to use the switch and relay from the XJ's rear defogger. This will make sure that I'll never drive down the road with the lights on for miles and miles or leave them on and kill the battery. The circuit is a timed circuit and only stays on for around 15 minutes. Can be turn off with same switch. Also thinking about wiring them to the door switches so they come on and off with the door opening. I'll figure that out later.

i had thought about doing under-rail LED lighting on my truck after finding the factory cargo lamp switch in the junkyard but the light itself was kaput.

i'll take a look if it's really nice i might send it your way... you'd do better things with it than i will.

great job man. :clapping:

i had thought about doing under-rail LED lighting on my truck after finding the factory cargo lamp switch in the junkyard but the light itself was kaput.

i'll take a look if it's really nice i might send it your way... you'd do better things with it than i will.

great job man. :clapping:

Thanks but since I'm using the XJ's wiring harness and circuit for the rear defogger, I have to use the switch as well. It has a different connector for the switch and is rated for a lot more juice than the factory cargo light would pull. Since I found the combined fog/cargo bezel, which seems to be the hard part, I'm good.

35717865792_9541148f27_z.jpg

I'm still on the fence about what kind of lights to use. I've seen the LED flat strips by 3M but they are pricey. Could go the streetglow option but if I catch the wrong state inspector and he finds them, I'll have to remove them or fail inspection. Also thought maybe using 2 to 3 LED cluster lights on each side; front, middle, and rear. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
The Chrysler Museum just called and they want their 4.0L display model back. ;)

You think they might be a little upset that I used Ford dark gray engine enamel on it.

Just read through the entire build, and all I can say is damn.

Thanks and Welcome to the Club. I have to say, I'm flattered that your first post on the Forum was in my thread. :cheers:

I also just read every word of this thread so far and I have to go change my underwear now because I just pooped myself..... AMAZING WORK

Thanks a lot, and you might want to see the Dr. about that problem. :ack:

J/K :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
That is a nice looking engine. I know of a truck it would look really nice in. :roll:

i was just thinking the same thing, I'm glad you think it would look good in my truck too :yes:

jk

omg your driving me crazy,

you HAVE to record it first starting up

plz plz plz,

i want to hear that baby purr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
The Chrysler Museum just called and they want their 4.0L display model back. ;)

:rotfl2:

I always like looking at this truck , makes me think of all the things I have to do , the never ending saga ....

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a while is it done?

No, I'm ashamed to say. :oops: I've been working long, and playing little. Then threw my back out which has caused me all kinds of delays with everything. I have kind of lost a little interest and initiative on the ole gal. I've collected some parts and plan on getting back on track to finish this so I can move on to the next project hopefully.

Will update soon with something. :shake:

Was working on cleaning the garage over the weekend and during which, I manage to get a couple of things done as I came across different parts. Cleaned up the bucket seat floor brackets and threw a coat of paint on them.

They were in great shape with just a little surface rust on the bottom.
35887058195_674484b108_b.jpg

After a couple of coats of paint, ready to be covered up by the seats and side trim.
35887058295_44c810707e_b.jpg

I had pulled a like new OME steering stabilizer sometime back and since I had the paint out gave it a couple of coats and then put it in place.

35697135492_1da89b8846_b.jpg

Learned why the ZJ drag link is not mentioned by people that have done the tie rod upgrade. As seen in the pic, the top of the shield will hit when tighten all the way down.

35697135542_be6b8b25b3_z.jpg

I guess if it was a stock stabilizer, it would be ok but, I'll be pulling it off and putting the stock drag link back on.
I did the oil pan gasket sometime ago but didn't post the pics. Used the one piece Felpro gasket.

35887147655_4d109b98ed_b.jpg
35887147685_edef7e682c_b.jpg

and of course that meant I had to paint the bolts.

35887147705_13fd47f43e_b.jpg

Cleaned up all the gray interior pieces and selected the best ones for the project.

35887059575_88713bafa9_b.jpg
35047494104_2ed01d410d_b.jpg

Also decided to go with the Land Rover interior lights to replace the stock problematic ones.

35887059105_69c9dbf0d7_b.jpg
35887059125_1bac98a2f2_b.jpg
35717865972_ecbdc42497_b.jpg
35887059275_d6f961d986_b.jpg

I'll lose the ability to turn them off at the light but I'm ok with that. Will be using LEDs so they won't put the much of a drain on the battery.
I've been going back and forth on the radio to use in the truck. I wanted to stay stock but I wanted to have a CD option. Was going to use a stock am/fm with a 12 CD player but with limited space in the cab, I didn't want to take away storage. I've looked at a lot of after market ones but even with all the great options, they don't seem to flow with the interior design. Started looking at other stock radios from different autos and came across a single CD/AM/FM out of a Ford Contour that is basically the same size as our stock radio and has a similar style.

35887058235_4e0eb1a213_b.jpg

Used the stock radio bracket to install. First used some zip ties to get the right measurements and then drill some holes and attached it to the radio.
35047494164_aee897f5ca.jpg

It fits well but if the radio is not dead center the buttons either on the top or bottom will stick when pushed. I'd have to trim just a hair on the bezel, which you know I'm not fond of. I'm still debating but I think I might go with it.

35047494224_40da876052_z.jpg

It does have a factory amp that goes with it that boost somewhere between 20 and 40 watts. I know not a lot but I don't need much with the infinity speakers.

35047494264_68afe7a42d_z.jpg

Figured it will mount on the backside of the computer mount under the dash. Will play with that once I decide if I'm going this route.

And to wrap this up, I finally found a NOS set of JEEP letters for the header.

35478378920_44da14ba0a_b.jpg

I'm hoping to continue to regain interest in the project and start updating on a regular basis.