what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

Found out that you can mount a 9,000 lb. winch using the towhook brackets for a starting point for the cradle, put the winch plate on the bottom of the brackets, and the winch WILL actually fit under the grill surround and still let you lock/unlock the clutch on the winch housing. SWEET! No extra long nose hanging way out front. :clapping: :banana: And yes, the brackets have been reinforced and extra steel added in a few choice places.

Got to test said winch. So far, no troubles. :thumbsup: One of my friends came to visit, and when he was backing out of the drive, he ended up driving off into the culvert next to the drive. It is about 4 ft. deep, and just the right width to swallow a Toyota Taco. :clapping: The truck came out of it with the bedside knocked in, and the drivers' side taillight busted, but the winch worked great. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've got pix, including swapping the nose over to the late model, but me and Photobucket ain't getting along right now. I click on the "img" tag, it says copied, I go over to the webpage to post the pix, and the only thing that I get on my dropdown is "delete". I don't know what the hell is going on, but it is REALLY annoying. :fs1: I am going to go to the library, and see if thier comp. will let me post pix.

Swapped in longer coil springs to attempt to level out the front (not exactly today), welded painted and installed my roll/show bar (not today), and reinstalled my newly painted hood (today). Maybe one day i will remember to grab my camera when out wheeling, always seems to be an after thought.

Tore the rear brakes apart to find that a couple of handfulls of sand in the drums can grind down brake shoes from 1/8 brake material down to the rivets in 2 days time.

Truck is currently on jack stands with the wheels off and brakes apart because I wasted too much time talking to the neighbor over the fence and ran out of daylight.

Got the brakes done yesterday, and the truck will actually stop when I depress the brake pedal now.

As for today:

4 used tires (33x12.50)

4 Cragar Soft 8 rims

4 valves

5000 .20 gram Airsoft pellets

1 tire spoon

and about an hour labor

This all culminated in this:

airsoft pellets? what for? lol :hmm:
You put a specified amount of them inside the tire when mounting it for balance. They are used in lieu of wieghts. Some people swear by them, but my experience has been that they don't work well at all. I trust the weights much more.

The tire shop that mounted my snow tires used beads to balance the tires and they have worked well. I also take my truck off road, and air down the tires when I do. This way there are no weights to get knocked off, and if the tire spins on the rim it makes no difference.

So far (drive from work to home) they seem to stay balanced, but I have not gone faster than 60mph yet. After I move my front axle a bit forward to better clear the flares when steering I will take it on the freeway so I can check speeds up to 70mph.

Worked more on the AC, PS conversion this week. Found out that the brackets the junkyard sent werent exactly the ones needed for my model year so the alternator I had was wrong and the Ac compressor was wrong, so I did some digging around the shop, found that the alternator from the 86 fit in place, but had bad bearings, the wrong pulley, and the wrong electrical connector. Dug around the shop some more, found that the pulley from an alternator just removed fron an 89 XJ 4.0 was the right pulley and installed it to the 86 alt and checked everything for fit. Looked up the wiring harnesses for both year alternators and decided that if I cut the connector off of the 86 and soldered it on that it should work the same as the 87's 2 wire hookup. Then I went and bought a new alternator for an 86 to put in place for good. As for the compressor, I only needed about a quarter inch to get the comp lined up, so I started grinding down the mounting bracket to set it back where it needed to be, and then wallowed out the holes for the rear mount to move it...looks pretty good! The power steering resevior I ordered was wrong, and wanting to get this done so I can drive it, I asked if the parts dept had any reseviors from a 2004 Caravan... which they did because we replace them regularly. Removed my stock airbox to have room for the remote resevior and made a bracket to mount it to. Installed the gearbox, and lines/hoses, filled it with fluid and found that in order to keep it from sucking air, I had to fill it way over the fill line on the resevior. I just hope it don't overflow after it gets hot due to fluid expansion. Added a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak to it for good measure ( that stuff is great if you have a pump starting to growl a little). To replace the airbox, I dug up a cold air intake I removed from a Mazda 3 a couple years ago... cut the tube to the length I needed, found that the rubber boot it came with fit perfectly over the original throttle body cover. Bent a bracket to support the airtube and made sure everything had clearance. Ive yet to go on an extended test drive, but it seems Ok for now. We will see this weeked when I have to drive out into the country to work as a volunteer to clean up an overgrown county cemetary. The rest of the AC lines and receiver dryer and charging are next. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

In process of replacing front brakes. No brake material left, braking with the rivets :eek:

Got new pads installed, ready to put everything back together, just gotta wait for NAPA to be done turning the rotors.

Did the SOA swap on the MJ, and found that the Mopar spring perches do not need the center pin hole drilled out, or the centerpins themselves "flipped" as the hole is just big enough for the pin to fit. :D Figured out that the drivshaft is now 2" too short, the parking brake cables will still work and HOLY SNAP!!! :drool: THIS THING IS STUPID TALL while sitting on 31s" !!!

Replaced the old flat Cowl to Hood Seal with a new OEM one... Smeared Silicon RTV over the spots on the firewall that I think I was getting water and filled my Cowl Area with the hose to make sure water was running down where it should be draining... Will do another heavy water test on my inclined driveway this weekend before I goto the trouble of reinstalling the entire interior.