a test of what's more valuable; originality or mods

Pete M

this '92 truck is for sale out west.  asking price is $15,000.  looks like he spent a pretty penny on the parts.  I do wonder what it might actually sell for.  there's no doubt it used to be a serious collectors item.  :( 

Rare rare find, this bad boy only has 77k original miles. It was a barn find, I bought it completely stock and in MINT condition. Everything on this that’s not stock is all brand new with zero miles, hasn’t even left the garage. It’s been a project build for me and is 90-95% done. Starts and runs great. Only needs a few brake lines and some seat bracket work and she’s ready to go. Build:
•CLAYTON LONG ARM KIT •FORD 8.8 REAR AXLE •DISC BRAKES •NEW 35” BFG KM3 TIRES •15” SIMULOCK STEEL WHEELS •TERAFLEX SYE KIT •REBUILT T-CASE •ADAMS DOUBLE CARDAN DRIVESHAFT •RUBICON EXPRESS QUICK DISCONNECTS •RUBICON EXPRESS 4.5” COILS •ACOS COIL SPACERS •MOOG/IRON ROCK STEERING •JCR FRONT BUMPER •JCR STEERING BRACE KIT •JCR REAR BUMPER •HOOLIGAN OFFROAD FLARES •TRUCK LIGHT LED HEADLIGHTS •OPTIMA YELLOW TOP BATTERY •

580536-1613856757-232249.jpeg

580536-1613856776-279962.jpeg

580536-1613856767-957967.jpeg

580536-1613856768-218147.jpeg

580536-1613856772-836424.jpeg

580536-1613856772-51513.jpeg

Regardless of the quality of the truck pre or post modifications, I have a problem when they ask $15k for a vehicle that "Only needs a few brake lines and some seat bracket work"

Like why the hell not just finish the job that has an afternoon worth of labor and $100 in parts maybe.  Just lazy.

I can't even begin to put a fair price on it. I wouldn't buy it for any price, so I'm not the right person to ask. My view is -- it's too far gone to be returned to original configuration, so it has zero value and zero appeal (to me).

I think that it really depends. There are several of the COTM builds I would consider that with the mods are worth more than the original value of the truck. This one hasn't pulled it off. Different front and rear flare systems. Bedside armor on one side and not the other. Paint that doesn't match. In my opinion, it's worth about $6000, at this stage. I think they lose a lot since so many things were done kinda fast, maybe even half fast... I would say 10 to 12, if everything was done, or as a pristine '92 HO.

This was kind of the reason I offloaded my 88. It was in decent stock shape. I added the ACOS to get rid of the rake and put some XJ wheels on it. Looked great and drove fine. It was fun to poke around in but I really wanted to have something to build. I just couldn't chop up a decent MJ to go beat up. So I sold it and got a builder MJ that I will eventually cut up because of rust. If I only keep the VIN on it and chop the rest I'm not going to feel bad. Personally I don't think MJs can garner the price of say a well done J10 or other classics. While MJ's are rare and unique they just don't have a 20-30k+ following of people waiting to snag them regardless of mods. 

15 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Regardless of the quality of the truck pre or post modifications, I have a problem when they ask $15k for a vehicle that "Only needs a few brake lines and some seat bracket work"

Like why the hell not just finish the job that has an afternoon worth of labor and $100 in parts maybe.  Just lazy.

also the fact he did all this work and has yet to drive it.  what sort of things will pop up once you start logging miles?  

The shot of the engine bay turns me off. It looks like little done there. Sort of dingy in a lot of areas, engine bay and others. If done nice, then it might be worth more, not that I would have the $$ to buy it. I'd have to say the same if it were an XJ. 

I would gladly mod a truck that wasnt in great shape but not one like this.  I don't understand what possesses people to hack them up.  These trucks are a very rare find when in good condition.  So many people who get lucky enough to find one in mint shape run to home depot for a saws-all and start cutting it up.  That truck looked like it was in great shape but not any more.

I am in the middle of restoring an old classic car.  The hip thing to do to these old cars (Datsuns) is to cut the fenders and install flairs and/or do an engine swap.  It sends the value down the toilet. :(

55 minutes ago, glundblad said:

I would gladly mod a truck that wasnt in great shape but not one like this.  I don't understand what possesses people to hack them up.  These trucks are a very rare find when in good condition.  So many people who get lucky enough to find one in mint shape run to home depot for a saws-all and start cutting it up.  That truck looked like it was in great shape but not any more.

I am in the middle of restoring an old classic car.  The hip thing to do to these old cars (Datsuns) is to cut the fenders and install flairs and/or do an engine swap.  It sends the value down the toilet. :(

Dang! Been a while, eh? Any pictures of said Datsun?... or an update on your Chief for that matter?

... yup, thread high jacked. :peep: