To Wave or Not to Wave, that is the question

87MJTIM

To Wave or Not to Wave, that is the question  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Give the Jeep Wave to Gladiator drivers?

• Have you / Will you give the Jeep Wave to Gladiator Jeeps
    • No, you have not / will not give the Jeep Wave

The "Jeep Wave" as I understand and practice it:

Drivers of Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK/JL wave to one another. Typically, with the left hand resting on top of steering wheel, the drive raises 2 to 4 fingers to acknowledge another Jeep driver.  Other forms of waving are acceptable.  Some websites say that the younger Jeeps (JL/JK) wave first to the older Jeeps (CJ/YJ).  Although, I have initiated the wave from my CJ to "younger" Jeeps.

There is no "official" Jeep wave to/for other models.  However, while in my MJ, I wave to XJs and MJs, but not to other model Jeeps.

I started this thread because I got a Jeep Wave from a Gladiator driver.  It got me thinking....

In the grand scheme of things I don't really care what kind of Jeep you're driving.  If you're friendly and wave, I'll wave back.  Even if you're in one of the Jeep "cars" like the new Cherokee or Renegade.  It's about being friendly to other people who love Jeeps.  If I wave first and they wave back, great.  If they don't, it's no big deal.  I don't pay attention to the "rules" about who should wave first.  If you want to wave, wave.  If you don't, don't.  Who cares who goes first?

The new Gladiator is as much a Jeep as any CJ, Wrangler, MJ, XJ, ZJ, WJ, FC, SJ, etc.  It's solid axle front and rear and built by Jeep.  It's as much a Jeep as my old J10.  They're all different in their own way but they all share the Jeep lineage in one way or another.  As far as the other Jeeps, you're much less likely to get a wave and I usually don't even notice them to wave first.  But a friendly wave deserves a friendly response.

Its rare that anyone in any of the newer Jeeps wave at me in my Comanche, just mostly because most of them have no idea what it is, especially one with a Wagoneer grille assy. But I love most all the Jeeps and will wave just to be nice. In my town and local Jeep group there is a built to the hilt Renegade Trailhawk that does a lot of trail rides and is very competant in its own right and deserves to be acknowledged much more than most JK/JL/JT mall crawlers. Its all good and it feels better to be nice to everyone than it does to be an @$$ to certain Jeep owners because of what they drive. If they are enthusiastic about the brand, thats all that matters.

22 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Did anyone else follow the link?  We are considered "All Other Jeeps" by this calculator!!!

On 1/6/2020 at 2:47 PM, 87MJTIM said:

While driving today, I passed a Gladiator.  As it was going by, I realized the driver was giving the Jeep Wave.  I did not.  Not out of disrespect, but I just didn't think about it.

This got me wondering:  Do other MJ drivers wave to Gladiator drivers?

I haven't seen any on the road, so not an issue.

Would I wave at one? I'm not sure. Maybe if it was modified, lifted, or otherwise showed signs of belonging to a real Jeep person, otherwise probably not. Although I can't imagine any real Jeep person owning one.

Where I’m from, if someone waves at you, you wave back and in most cases it’s a simultaneous wave. As for what Jeeps to wave at, even though I’m old school, I can’t get past the angry eye thing so I may wave but it’s usually after they pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is that people in JKs / JLs don’t wave unless they have some modifications done and that’s probably because more and more “normal” people are buying Jeeps today. It’ll probably be the same with the Gladiator but I’ll continue to Jeep wave. 

• 1 month later...

Follow up:

One of my clients stopped in today.  He told me he purchased a Gladiator and that he has seen me driving around.  He stated he has waved to me.

The riddle has been solved.

He was waving to me as a friend, not as a Jeep owner.

I was on my way home from work last Thursday when I got a wave from some fella in a bone stock zj. Kinda shocked me to the point I didnt wave back. I was just shocked to get a wave.

So red zj west bound on 14 :wave: this ones for you. Lol

My build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://comancheclub.com/topic/8033-finally-found-onenow-it-has-a-new-floor/&share_tid=8033&share_fid=53169&share_type=t

• 10 months later...