Finally got the ball rolling after some recent life distractions, but with all the free time in quarantine I was able to finally finish the interior revamp.
The interior on this truck has bugged me since the day I picked it up. The carpet was wrecked, the trim was beat up, the seat was beyond worn out, none of the courtesy lights worked, the “aftermarket stereo” only played out of 1 speaker, and the overall features were as basic as they come.
Took it down to pretty much bare bones and decided to start fresh. There was some rust on the passenger side floor but other than that it was a clean slate to work with.
From the ground up I added sound deadening on the floor, rear cab wall, firewall, and on the roof. Then lined it with flame retardant padding under the new carpet in hopes it would help insulate the cab.
I picked up an upholstery kit for the bench seat from RayBuck Auto, and while it was apart I added some burlap over the springs and added a little foam on top for some extra support.
I also added in some seat heaters and ran the wiring for the switch to the door handle panel.
Behind the bench seat I mounted the amp and wrapped the cab cover piece in brown canvas.
On either side are 6x9 Kenwood speakers on some custom platforms I made to mount the boxes against the cab wall.
Unfortunately I could not get these creases in the carpet out, tried a heat gun, then an iron, then steam. Gave up and figured it would rarely be seen.
Most of everything in the dash was swapped out.
I added an XJ gauge cluster, a Kenwood head unit that controls the entire Kenwood sound system, swapped the broken cigarette lighter for a dual USB charger, added a clinometer on top of the dash and wired it into the gauge lights, installed a trans temp gauge with a switch plate that swaps out the useless plastic plate next to the gauges, and made a custom switch plate for 2 rocker switches on either side of the steering wheel. I also swapped every bulb for an LED version.
All the switches are pre-wired into a custom fuse / relay box under the hood, so I have room for adding accessories as the build continues.
You can also see my mini center console converted into cup holders.
I was able to find wagoner door panels with crank windows to swap out the old door panels and match the other wood trim features.
I also added the triangle flip windows with new window seals.
Here is the final before and after comparison, this truck feels completely different now and will be much more enjoyable for long drives.
And here is a video showing the new courtesy light setup.
LED bulbs in the B pillars, and LED strips in the foot wells and along the bottom of the doors.