Endless tail light search

So the problem many have run into is the shortage of tail light housings now, among other things and I have yet to see anyone make an aftermarket replacement or LED housing. Rusty's has a ridiculously expensive set of blanks that you have to buy lights for. I don't understand why they don't have a place for the reverse light. Anyone find anything? I have read multiple threads but have yet to find a solution. 

I see tail lights for sale all the time between $100-$150 ( yes people ask and get more ) . 

Ive had 15 MJs over 23 years and currently have 4 , besides having been rear ended twice when the truck was parked I've never broken a tail light . I know now there are several types of MJ owners , the crawlers / off roaders , the purists / daily drivers , the hotrodders etc . If you're going to be in scenarios where you will be beating the truck against trees /rocks / whatever slam some cheap Dakota lights it with a little work . If you don't like the looks of those then spend good money on something you can potentially ruin the next time on the trail . If you're a purist take extra care when you load the truck / back up etc and you shouldn't have to buy another pair of stock lights or rusty stuff in the future. 

Its obviously you're truck to do what you want and I don't have an issue with whatever you do , it's just my two cents . 

7 hours ago, SIERRA051 said:

So the problem many have run into is the shortage of tail light housings now, among other things and I have yet to see anyone make an aftermarket replacement or LED housing. Rusty's has a ridiculously expensive set of blanks that you have to buy lights for. I don't understand why they don't have a place for the reverse light. Anyone find anything? I have read multiple threads but have yet to find a solution. 

If u really want the factory taillight u just have to be patients those do pop up here in sale thread once a while so have to keep ur eyes in here or look up in Facebook market. Good luck. :L:

11 minutes ago, velco said:

It gives the MJ that International Harvester look.  Anybody remember those?

Oh yeah.  I had that addiction bad!  Between the lady that I live with and myself, we owned 11 total.  Not much aftermarket support for those either.

Last time I tired to sell some headlights, they guy couldn't make a decision. Take pictures, take pictures. He wanted perfect taillights for $40-$50. I stopped picking up MJ taillights, as the price increased at the PnPs.  That and dealing with Jeep people. Last parts I sold, I never got paid for them. Seems Jeepers go through divorce a lot. 

I don't find this forum easy to reply to certain people. Maybe I'm using it wrong. Anyway, I would love to modify it to accept XJ lights, but I don't have time right now. I can do slight modification easily enough. If a certain Dodge taillight was close enough to easily swap I would. Otherwise I'll wait and dab something up. I'm not spending $$$ on old plastic. You can see my Jeep on my profile. It's not perfect but I try to keep it lookin good. I don't hide it in the garage either. It stills gets into some mud :) 

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that if anyone had found a taillight housing that would fit into the existing MJ space (without welding/cutting), it would be all over this forum.

Until someone figures that out (or comes up with some kind of "drop in" adapter that allows the use of smaller taillight from another vehicle), using old MJ used taillights of varying condtion is the only option.

If I was desperate for new taillights, and couldn't find any decent ones for an MJ, I would save my pennies and have the bodyshop weld up the existing opening to take XJ taillights.   I figure that would cost $1000 or more, including paint, so it's a true act of desperation.

1 hour ago, 54bobby said:

found where all the tail lights are going, gates too.

65528828_10158734026044968_1128565909007368192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQnNI7MTHLdaiJiueg07m206gtNwTBz0cLCiAxSdZWK1CFhgKTn3x3OYQi_CKgj3NTw&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-4.fna&oh=d76a34b84660351daa569b8e2ffcbafc&oe=5E106FB7

Those taillights are definitely NOT Comanche, probably Dodge, but the pic does show they could fit better with a bit more effort. Regardless OP doesn't seem to think his truck (pictured below - nice rig BTW) is worth the cost of Comanche replacements, I'd personally rather spend a few bucks for factory tails than try to fit something else into what appears to be recently repainted.

Time & effort are the same as $$$ to most people, 8 screws and plug & play vs... who knows??? to mod for XJ tails.

IMG_20171123_134055864.jpg.f97cf40990940

On 8/26/2019 at 12:09 AM, fiatslug87 said:

While I can appreciate the workmanship that went into making those, I don't think they fit the style of the truck, just my opinion from within my box. To each their own.

My goal in posting this pic is to inspire others to do SOMETHING, not to do what I did, but something. 

I do for me what suits me and I don't care what others think. 

If I had the time and a junk yard at my disposal, I'd have cut out other tail light sections to see which could best be grafted in, an old Ford F100 (Ranger) comes to mind. 

I don't so............

I had several objectives-

To eliminate the wrap-around tail light, with exception, I find nothing attractive about those of any kind on any make or model but particularly on the MJ. 

To replace with LEDs. 

To replace with anything that is readily available at a reasonable price. 

To make whatever I chose to be inconspicuous (small, unseen from the side view). 

I know what my truck will look like in the end. 

6 hours ago, Burke said:

IMG_20171123_134055864.jpg.f97cf40990940

Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack, but I couldn't help but notice the tow mirrors. They seem to be in a different location than factory.  I'm curious if the internal bracing can be moved forward, if this particular mounting design wouldn't require the bracing, or if this mounting was just done in a less than ideal fashion?   It is a pretty truck though.