Endless tail light search

8 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

If I had to spend $1000 on the XJ tail ligt conversion, I wouldnt do it either, but if its something you can do yourself with decent results, it might be worth it. 

Awhile back (maybe two or three years???) someone posted photos of an MJ that had been modified to use late-model (97-2001) Cherokee taillights. They looked pretty good, IIRC. I don't think the early XJ taillights would work -- they're too wide and too squared off.

7 hours ago, mark corbitt said:

I know where a mj  is in a local yard I can get the lights from. The drivers side has a small crack but the passenger is perfect.  Do you want me to see if they are still there next time I go?

See if they're there? I would strongly suggest that you just buy them. They aren't being made any more. If you let them go to the crusher, that's one more pair lost forever.

@amsuco@amsuco 

I hate this forum format. I'm having issues replying directly. Bear with me for any repetitive typo errors. Someone went to lengths to put what I believe are some sort of old Ford style mirrors on there. No bracing so it flexes the sheet metal if you have to fold them back. I was 3rd owner I believe. I rescued it from a parts truck turned into someone's backyard hack job farm truck. I have been painstakingly undoing the damage done by previous owners to some degree of success to get what you see there. However, everyone here knows the struggle of keeping these older Jeeps roadworthy. Mechanically she's sound but they hack and slashed my wiring harness. I will probably have to replace the whole thing. I digress. I managed to fix my one broken tail light housing so I could keep the stock ones. Now to spend some time on my ZJ... 

@cruiser54

I see. I know how things generally get reposted and I try not to be that guy. I always search first and had some hours logged fruitlessly. I had hoped someone had miraculously come up with something. I refuse to pay $200 for sheet metal adapters from Rusty's. Then you have to hope the combo taillight/turn signal/backup LEDs you find on Amazon will work after you splice into your factory wiring. I wish they had just made the Gladiator more like the good ol Jeeps. Wishing gets you nowhere though. 

and rounding out my list of replies

@mark corbitt

I wish I could find some anywhere. I can barely find XJs to scavenge from at my local yard. I am in dire need of sun visors. Mine are just about disintegrated from age. I didn't take MJ rarity into consideration when I decided to buy one. I love my truck but I have spent many hours looking for oddball parts. Can't find the shifter housing for around the boot inside. Last time I got it inspected the lady moved my seat all the way forward and crushed my plastic. Now it's a sad broken mess that I can't replace.