the new Jeep truck. it is what we all thought it would be.

Pete M

my cousin recently bought his first brand new vehicle. :D  very proud of him!  He wanted a work truck; regular cab with an 8ft bed.  eventually got a Ram Tradesman from 3 states over because they were so hard to find.  seems no one is buying them so they aren't on the lots?  :dunno:

this Jeep isn't much different than than any of the other 1/2 ton trucks I see on the road.  4 doors and a short bed.  for better or for worse, they are everywhere and very popular.  I predict Jeep sells every single one they can make for the first few years. 

Dodge and Chevy call both of their short beds 5'. The dealership I work at sells more crew cab short beds than any thing else. The only running boards  I stock in parts are for the crew cab. I agree with Pete they will sell every one they make. Hopefully that will lead to a truck closer to our Comanches.

Crew cab pickups with short (about 5-foot, I think) pickups are very popular all over South America. But they're not all tricked out as $50,000 to $75,000 rolling living rooms, they're regarded as work trucks. My wife and I rented one for out honeymoon:

image.jpeg.2e64fdf208af6e8b4f7e43b5a3e7216c.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Crew cab pickups with short (about 5-foot, I think) pickups are very popular all over South America.

They are popular everywhere in multiple configurations in every country in the world that has roads. Mostly ugly, boring utilitarian vehicles that multitask well and fill an important niche. But I sure don't want one.

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

They are popular everywhere in multiple configurations in every country in the world that has roads. Mostly ugly, boring utilitarian vehicles that multitask well and fill an important niche. But I sure don't want one.

I do. I need a boring (reliable), utilitarian vehicle with enough room to occasionally carry a couple of passengers, have a moderately useful load bed, and not cost as much as a starter house.

6 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

It's funny, everyone one here hates it or is indifferent, everyone on the gladiator forum loves it. We must be a bunch of curmudgeons.:laugh:

No, we are Jeep Truck lovers. The Gladiator was a truck. The Willys 463 was a truck. The J10 and J20 were trucks. The Comanche was a truck. This new thing is a Wrangler. It's more like a 4-door reintroduction of the CJ8 Scrambler, rather than being a purpose-built truck. They should have just called it "Scrambler."

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

They should have just called it "Scrambler."

Exactly.

I got blasted/negged on Reddit for saying it wasn't a truck and it should have been called a Scrambler.  So I know I and everyone else in this thread that has that opinion is correct, as anything that is the opposite of Reddit's opinion is correct. 

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

I got blasted/negged on Reddit for saying it wasn't a truck and it should have been called a Scrambler.  So I know I and everyone else in this thread that has that opinion is correct, as anything that is the opposite of Reddit's opinion is correct. 

:L::applause::jammin::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Our only hope for a real truck would be after they start building the Grand Wagoneer on the Ram truck chassis. That the waggy sells so well, they decide to make a truck version of it, kind of like the Lincoln or Caddy trucks that have always been short lived. Or they announce later that a 2 dr version of this will come later on. Time will tell.

I still say it's as much of a "truck" as that 4 door f150 that just drove by my house.  or either of the caddy/linc trucks.  It's not bad.  it just could have been so much more... :(  (for example, where's the v8? or the turbo v6? or any engine that would make me look twice!)

10 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

Our only hope for a real truck would be after they start building the Grand Wagoneer on the Ram truck chassis. That the waggy sells so well, they decide to make a truck version of it...

I agree with this. For years as the Ram line keeps getting more and more options I’ve thought it a swell idea to see the line split to Ram and a true Jeep truck. Want a luxurious truck with all the bells and whistles? Great!... get a Ram. Want a stripped down workhorse with rubber floor, vinyl seats, clunky transfer case shifters, a choice of three colors, and zero options? Great!... get the Jeep truck we should’ve gotten. Then on the same platform the Jeep Wagoneer could be a true SUV on a full frame but still contend with other luxo lines like the Land Rovers. 

Seems like the bed was designed just big enough to fit one of those roof top tent setups and not much else. 

It supposedly has a removable roof and doors, and a flip down windshield.  I wonder if there are roll bars around the passenger compartment? 

If not, and they end up offering a sport bar setup like the old Scrambler, then you won't even be able to run your tent setup.

1982-jeep-cj8-scrambler-show-and-go-1.jp

I think it's pretty clear this was not aimed at the F150 crowd.  It's a Wrangler for guys who didn't want to tow an adventure trailer to haul a few extra items.

^^does remind me of the h3t gog 

It's what I expected and pretty much the Jeep I always wanted especially after they teased the Gladiator concept so many years ago.

And I like that it can be had with a manual trans. 

Alas, I'll never be able to afford one on my fixed income.

I'm a little shocked it has the 7500 tow rating. I just bought a JKU a few weeks ago, its tow rating is 3500. I've seen several of them pulling boats that I know exceed that. The little MJ equipped correctly was factory rated at 5000. That's a lot, along with that big payload. I finally gave up on trying to make the MJ into something it is not from a towing standpoint and bought a cheap 6.0L GMC Yukon. The MJs  were definitely ahead of their time. I bet the price of this new thing is going to be astronomical. The new JL's are bad enough. And I bet they will have all sorts of quirky problems relating to the roof and other "Gladiator" specific stuff before they get it straightened out. Fiat-Chrysler won't care, they will sell every one they can turn out and the dealers will be adding additional profit until the supply catches up with the demand. 

It's surprising to me as well that it's rated that much for towing. I'm pretty sure the JL is rated for 3500lbs just like the JK was. But that's in the ballpark if they're actually trying to be competitive with the current offering of midsize trucks. I expect that'll only be with proper equipment, a "metric ton" package so to speak, with beefier axle, etc. The much longer wheelbase over the JLU would lead to more stability as well. 

11 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

It's surprising to me as well that it's rated that much for towing. I'm pretty sure the JL is rated for 3500lbs just like the JK was. But that's in the ballpark if they're actually trying to be competitive with the current offering of midsize trucks. I expect that'll only be with proper equipment, a "metric ton" package so to speak, with beefier axle, etc. The much longer wheelbase over the JLU would lead to more stability as well. 

Given that modern half tons have ridiculous tow ratings, yeah, they had to do that.  A regular '18 Sierra 1500 (not the HD) is rated for 12,500lbs.  The Canyon, oh lordy, is rated for 7700lbs!  And a 1500HD (which is really more like a 3/4 ton truck, but still) is rated for 23,400lbs.

I bet you this thing would not be enjoyable to tow 7700lbs with...  Because I can assure you the Canyon isn't enjoyable at anything near that. :roflmao: