the new Jeep truck. it is what we all thought it would be.

Pete M

It probably will be expensive:

From back in January:   https://www.hotcars.com/jeep-pickup-price-expensive/

Speaking at the Detroit Auto Show on a wide range of topics, Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne (now deceased) eventually turned his ramblings toward Jeep’s upcoming light truck. According to Driver, he said that Jeep will take a similar approach to the new truck as it took with the Jeep Renegade, marketing it as a “lifestyle vehicle.” However, unlike the Renegade, the new pickup will be sold at a premium price well above similarly sized trucks like the Chevy Colorado and the new Ford Ranger—two trucks that Marchionne says won’t be competing with the new Jeep.

The concept I want to see more of:

image.jpeg

Just with a longer bed. 7'. Jeep wants their truck to be more capable than others in its class; none of the competition has a 7' bed. Maybe even bump up the payload with a regular cab to 2200lbs. Seems like a decent formula to me for some reason? Can't quite put a finger on where I came up with it though... :roflmao:

2 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

The concept I want to see more of:

image.jpeg

Just with a longer bed. 7'. Jeep wants their truck to be more capable than others in its class; none of the competition has a 7' bed. Maybe even bump up the payload with a regular cab to 2200lbs. Seems like a decent formula to me for some reason? Can't quite put a finger on where I came up with it though... :roflmao:

Longer bed, and a modicum of enclosed storage space behind the seats.

And a real roof ...

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

And a real roof ...

A one piece top would be nice.  So if you really, really wanted you could go topless for the summer, but at least it would still be simple to make (cheaper) and seal well.

Fixed top would be okay too, but that's not the image they're trying to sell it under.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:13 PM, HOrnbrod said:

That thing is nearly 3' (33") longer than my JKU, and 2' longer than my LWB MJ. Would be a tight fit in my undersized garage. Damn, wish I had built it a bit deeper. Hopefully a 2-DR will come along one day...

I believe it's already been said they have zero interest in making a 2dr.  Not enough market, and they cited crash safety reasons. :nuts:

On 12/3/2018 at 6:21 AM, Eagle said:

Most of those "goodies" are things that I don't need or want -- and that will be standard equipment, so I would have to pay for things I would hate. I don't want or need a removable soft top. I don't want or need a 8- (or any-) speed automatic transmission. I don't want or need electronic, seven thousand mode off-road drive options. Give me a 5- or 6-speed manual transmission, a 242 transfer case with a manual shift lever, a decent radio with a CD/DVD player, and the diesel engine. Removable roof panels are potential leaks. I want a real roof over my head.

Not interested. The more I see of it, the less I like it.

Lots of that stuff is offered on the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality.  Unfortunately Chrysler doesn't seem to understand that the consumer might want to be able to PICK their options.  If I could have ordered a JKU with the Rubicon lockers/tcase but base model everything else, and in the colour I wanted (which was a colour they offered for a couple years then decided everyone wanted either black, dark grey, dark blue, or silver), I would very likely have traded my JK in on it.  I don't like power windows or locks.  I don't like built in NAV units.  I don't even want a damn CD player.

The 8 speed auto is to satisfy CAFE (is the right one? :confused:).  Everyone has gone to 6+ speed autos or CVTs for that reason.  Lots of the other fluff features are to to satisfy NHTSA (again :confused:) safety requirements, but they get touted as features you want (tire pressure monitoring, braking assist, backup cameras, backup assist, lane departure warning, etc etc).  Unfortunately they can't get away from these things.

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

A one piece top would be nice.  So if you really, really wanted you could go topless for the summer, but at least it would still be simple to make (cheaper) and seal well.

Fixed top would be okay too, but that's not the image they're trying to sell it under.

I know that's not the image they're aiming for. And that's exactly why this thing is a Scrambler, not a pickup truck -- and certainly not a Gladiator pickup. I live in New England, I have (okay, "had") blond hair and fair skin, so for nine or so months out of the year it's not feasible to run with no top, and on days when the weather permits -- I can't do it because I don't want to deal with sunburn. I want a truck with a fixed roof. Removable roofs are leaks that you paid extra for.

To me this is just further proof that Jeep has lost sight of what "Jeep" is all about.

I don't know that it definitely was translated. But it's also a suspicious combination of old MJ specs and waffle about modern wranglers. Apparently the 2021 MJ will have a selection of engines, notably an AMXX 150 2.5L 4-cyl, a 150 CID 14, an LR2 2.8 V6. Plus there's a turbo-diesel power generator accessibility that they claim will be a very good engine.

Hogswash. Just someone slapping a webpage together with key words to attract clicks and generate ad revenue. The rest of the website is similar "articles" about future releases of Jeep models, with added irrelevant Jeep concept photos tossed in for good measure. 

It really does look grim for the two-door truck market. Not just for Jeeps. 

GM doesn't build one any more other than commercial cab and chassis models. Dodge's 2019 2500 and 3500 configurators aren't online yet but the 1500 has no regular cab, and it was only available in some trim levels on the 2018 HD's. The Titan did in both regular and XD spec but 2019 configurators aren't online yet either. The Tundra hasn't had a regular cab since the 2014 refresh.

No midsize trucks come in a 2-door any more. The only half-ton regular cab you can buy in 2019 is the F150. The only confirmed 3/4- and 1-tons that I can find are also the Fords, with the unlikely possibility of Dodges and probability of the Titan XD. 

I encountered someone today defending crewcab shortbed trucks by saying he loved his. It was great because they had a sedan for commuting that got decent mpg, so that wasn't a big deal. But he could take his kids to the beach with his crewcab, he could get a 4x8 sheet of drywall in the bed (hanging over the tailgate) and it could pull his utility trailer full of mulch and yard waste or other dirty things. You know what else could do those things? A minivan. You can get the whole sheet of drywall inside without it hanging off the end or being exposed to the weather. It'll pull a utility trailer for mulch and yard waste and other dirty things, and it'll get better mpg than the truck while it's doing it. Not to mention it's got more space for the kids.

So there you have it. Minivan buyers have killed the truck market.

For those wondering, yes I dislike crewcabs pretty strongly. I can appreciate the want for a second row of seats but I don't think it's worth compromising the truck by adding wheelbase or decreasing cargo capacity. Crewcabs were once a niche market with limited availability, but the market has quietly reversed and now the regular cab is soon to exist only in our imaginations. The long bed is also working on going away in smaller trucks, with the F150 being the smallest truck and only half-ton where a bed 7' or longer is an option. It's a tragedy. 

32 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Yup, that's why they're marketing it as a "lifestyle vehicle" not a work or utility truck.

And they'll probably sell a bunch of them.

But ... not to Jeep people, and not to people who were waiting for a pickup truck.