Anybody else have an MJ and and XJ?

TexanEliminator

2 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

I always thought the Lada was a Joke. Jokes on me!

No, it's real. Only cause I'm fool enough to have wanted one since I was a kid. Kinda cool in the way an AMC Gremlin is cool. But not as well assembled as a Gremlib. Or as fast. Or as comfortable. High praise, I know. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1991 MJ Sport truck

1991 XJ saved in 2013 from the PO who made a lot of "repairs" before throwing in the towel.  I went to look and told him "no thanks".  He was asking $800 and asked me to make an offer.  So I threw out $400 and he said yes and put out his hand to shake before my words were completely out.  Since then I've fixed EVERYTHING except a leaky windshield seal- wipers, heater, AC, headliner, horn, cab wiring (shorted/burnt wires from radio install), crank sensor, cam sensor, oil filter adapter o-rings, etc.  And made some upgrades- factory tinted glass, 28mm sway bar, late model horseshoe intake, replacement exhaust manifold and exhaust system,  96 throttle body, 4 hole injectors, engine/trans mounts, shocks, tires, replaced D35 with Chrysler 8.25.  I now have just over $1700 in it.  Serves as a daily driver, preferably on days when it's not raining.

Also have a 1993 XJ that will give up a healthier 4.0 and a 4wd auto trans to convert the MJ to 4wd.  I'll then have to decide how or if it gets reassembled and sold, or junked.

I used to have a nice 2000 XJ that I sold, and immediately regretted (hence the 91 XJ)

And back in the day, I owned a really nice 1989 XJ Wagoneer, woodgrain on black with the 4 headlight grill.

I also have some CJs:

1983 CJ7

1980 CJ5

1967 CJ5

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I technically have an XJ and MJ, however the XJ is currently being cannibalized into the MJ :rolleyes:

Here's some photos while it was still running. It threw a rod bearing when the oil pumped failed. Originally I was going to rebuild it and do some other stuff, until I found a pretty good deal on this 2WD LB Comanche. I've always wanted a Comanche and decided to start fresh rather than rebuild. 

IMG_3175.JPG

Jeep.jpg

IMG_5921.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2018 at 5:28 PM, TexanEliminator said:

Here’s both of mine. 1991 eliminator 4.0 4x4 5 speed, 2001 xj 4x4 4.0 5 speed. It’s difficult to support 2 projects but I feel like I’ve neglected my xj since I got my mj but I love them both!

2D34204C-FF89-4007-B929-D01A599E5A33.jpeg

BBB7A189-EE55-4461-AF77-5B3DC24ED181.jpeg

The 2 door looks familiar 

wasn’t it picked up in south Florida not that long ago? 

Looking good nonetheless 

Here’s my combo

88mj /98xj 

jwq6EI7.jpg

3 hours ago, 88whitemanche said:

The 2 door looks familiar 

wasn’t it picked up in south Florida not that long ago? 

Looking good nonetheless 

Here’s my combo

88mj /98xj 

jwq6EI7.jpg

Yes sir I bought it in south Florida in April of 2016. Haven’t got the chance to really do anything to it since. Just gets driven once every couple weeks.

I’m finally qualified to reply, seeing as I’ve been an MJ owner for just over a week now 😁. Hopefully it will be moving under it’s own power soon!

I need to sell my first Jeep, which I love to bits, but can’t justify keeping, the 93 XJ 4l (AW4) and then there’s Golddigger ... 99 XJ 4l (AW4). And way too many Alfa Romeos... Fuel is expensive in South Africa, more so every month ... so Jeeps are not daily drivers ☹️

B802BE7A-B0C1-414D-9184-9809258ADE97.jpeg

3658DA63-5D86-4311-B5D1-4BB282B07B92.jpeg

4A31892B-B588-4626-B18B-055176E22A8B.jpeg

Awesome Steve....welcome to the addiction:beerchug:. Glad to see international presence!

I notice your controls are on the "other" side over there.  Cool.  There's a big running thread on Pirate 4x4 from a guy who's trying to drive a Jeep through every country on your continent.  Many interesting things going on in that thread, but the most interesting thing to me has been the complete lack of standardization between countries regarding what side of the road everyone drives on.  Seems like every time he crosses a border the rules change:laugh:

16 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Awesome Steve....welcome to the addiction:beerchug:. Glad to see international presence!

I notice your controls are on the "other" side over there.  Cool.  There's a big running thread on Pirate 4x4 from a guy who's trying to drive a Jeep through every country on your continent.  Many interesting things going on in that thread, but the most interesting thing to me has been the complete lack of standardization between countries regarding what side of the road everyone drives on.  Seems like every time he crosses a border the rules change:laugh:

Thank you!!:beerchug:

The MJ being an import, has its controls on the wrong side, whereas the others are on the right side!:roflmao:

I'm gonna see if I can pick up on that thread, thnx - I heard something about that. Hope we didn't miss his Cape Town visit...

Yeah ... well in Africa the rules change all the time ...:doh:

7 hours ago, CheapXJ said:

uhhh...

and the signature doesn't even list the non-jeep vehicles.

Oops, sorry ... was I just rapped over the knuckles there? :peep:

So "too many Alfas" would not be appropriate?:rolleyes:

I'll hop on a PC later and update

alfas are cool!

I was responding to original post. i have a collection/addiction.

looks like you do too, cheers! :)

Ahhh OK, now I get it...

Yip, I'm beginning to think that addiction may describe me better than collection ...:helpme:

What else have you got? Any Alfas in the family? (Am I hijacking the thread now?):shhh:

Spoiler

Spoiler

those aren't exactly easy to come by stateside and they command a premium.

my gas sippers are sv21 gen 1 toyota camrys

my beater truck is a 94 dodge, nothin special.

I had a stable of 5-cyl audis for a while (4000s, 80/90, a 91 200tQ and 2 coupe quattros) but those got me in trouble... something about grossly exceeding speed limits... lol.

yet I still daily drive the 98 5.9 limited... I think my old GMC 3500 with a 454 got better mileage than this thing... but that skinny pedal just sounds so good when ya stomp it down.

but I'm thinking about "trading out" the toyotas for either restomodded AMC Eagles or I have my eye on a s123t Mercedes diesel wagon that I might have to buy because it's too inexpensive to say no (this is how I usually acquire the new toys) German oil burners are also pretty cool.

8 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Steve, here's the thread over on Pirate:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/2621154-road-chose-me-jeep-wrangler-around-africa-2-years-30-countries-80-000-mi.html

If you can suffer through the misery of Vertical Scope.

Jeff

Thanks! Interesting, but frustrating format ... now I also know what vertical scope is... I see he's already passed thru 

i also started collecting jeep models/RCs/diecast, etc... if you want "recovery" help from your addiction, you won't get it here. we're enablers. haahaha!

Bwahaha - nahh, I'm fine, and a terrible influence on my friends! My Jeep buddies land up buying Alfas and visa versa.

2nd hand Alfas are cheap here, thanx to mediocre dealerships, which have led to bad reps for the cars, which are actually brilliantly engineered, reliable, and cheap to run especially if u diy.  And a hoot to drive. I have a fleet varying from full blown restoration projects, to nice hop in and drive. Newest is a badass slightly modified 2004 156GTA 3.2l 24v V6 for special occasions. Daily drive is 98 155 Sport with nearly 350k km on untouched original motor - cheap thrills, I want to be buried in that car. I love it almost as much as my wife and 2 border collies

I'm totally hijacking this thread ... Sorry!!