My tailgate bushings?

4 hours ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

Did the MJ tailgate have a plastic bushing in the hinge? I know mine does not, and the hinges are very loose.

If I go through the process, would anyone be interested? I can as easily make 1 set, as I can make 20.

I would LOVE a set of bushings.  My tailgate rattles like hell.

I cannot believe there were no bushings from the factory.  The metal on metal squeaks like all get out, and is constantly rusty.

Also, the "double D" shaped lug on the bed suggests that something filled the space on the flats, and I am betting its some plastic piece.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:05 PM, AZJeff said:

I would LOVE a set of bushings.  My tailgate rattles like hell.

I cannot believe there were no bushings from the factory.  The metal on metal squeaks like all get out, and is constantly rusty.

Believe it - there were no bushings. A quick fix would be to order a short length of 2" -  2-1/4" adhesive shrink tubing caps like THESE and trim/shrink one around each of the male pins of the tailgate hinges. It may have to be replaced every other year or so depending on how much you open/close it, but it'll make it quiet riding on a cushioned surface.

EDIT:  Just ordered a couple of caps. Will post up when installed.

Tailgate1.jpg.6b9f41a9d1cccc686d69344cddd7d1d2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

16 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Believe it - there were no bushings. A quick fix would be to order a short length of 2" -  2-1/4" adhesive shrink tubing caps like THESE and trim/shrink one around each of the male pins of the tailgate hinges. It may have to be replaced every other year or so depending on how much you open/close it, but it'll make it quiet riding on a cushioned surface.

EDIT:  Just ordered a couple of caps. Will post up when installed.

Tailgate1.jpg.6b9f41a9d1cccc686d69344cddd7d1d2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I purchased a set of bushings for a Ford pickup, and am modifying them to fit the MJ.   We can compare notes when I am done.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, SenorT said:

Any suggestions on lubing the moving parts for the tailgate latch? Have used WD40 in the past but wondering if there's something better.

WD40 eats paint over time. :(    I prefer a spray lithium grease.  :L: 

• 2 years later...
21 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

@Dzimm, is this something you could make?

I could easily make something but I don't know what longevity would be like.  I could certainly make some from TPU and some from PETG and see how they work but I wouldn't make any guarantees on how long they'd last.

There are engineering plastics That are much better suited for this application such as PVX or Delrin but they are extremely expensive and would need to be milled out.  A good solution for now is the heat shrink tube as mentioned above or coating with lithium grease but that could be messy.

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

are we just talking about the tailgate pivots?  what about just buying a sheet of thin tephlon and cutting a strip to wrap around the pivots?

What sort of retention method would you suggest?  Would there be and issue with something like that walking out over time and use?