Anyone Mount/Dismount their own tires?

500 MJ

Harbor Freight sells a manual tire changer station for around 50 bucks. That kit in your link, for $440, doesn't look like it does much more than my Stanley Wonder Bar (which I have used successfully to dismount and mount stock size tires, but I don't think I'd care to use it for 31s).

I use a ramp on the tire (laying flat) against the lip of the rim, then drive a vehicle up it to break the bead. Do that on both sides. After that I go to town with a pair of TSC tire spoons.

Mounting a tire is easier than dismounting.

I refuse to pay $14 to have a $25 used tire mounted and balanced when I can do it for about $3.50 in airsoft pellets for balance and a bit of puffing and sweating.

New tires I pay a shop to do it. That way when the bead of the tire gets messed up while mounting it, they can pay for a new tire, instead of me losing about $200 worth of rubber.

I do it all the time.

To remove

Remove the valve core.

Place tire under bumper of Jeep.

Use a HiLift to break the bead.

Flip over and break the other bead.

Pry the tire off the BACK of the rim using 2 big screw drivers and a 3/4 open end wrench.

To install

Lube the bead with a 50/50 mix of Dawn dish soap and water.

Slam the tire onto the rear of the wheel at a 45 degree angle.

Use you knees push it down and big screw drivers to pry it the rest of the way on.

Lift the tire up and start the other bead on the wheel.

Keep pressure on the bead and pry it on with the 2 big screw drivers.

It is really easy. I can do a set of 4 tires in about an hour.

I do it all the time.

To remove

Remove the valve core.

Use a HiLift to break the bead.

Pry the tire off the BACK of the rim using 2 big screw drivers and a 3/4 open end wrench.

To install

Use you knees push it down and big screw drivers to pry it the rest of the way on.

:needpics:

i hate using tire spoons! that way is good for an emergency trail repair but it's worth it to me to spend the money to have them mounted and balanced if I'm not out in the woods... i used to work at a truck shop where we mounted tires, removing a 295-75-r22.5 with spoons isn't all that bad, but try changing a 425/65/r24.5 with them... luckily where i work now we get the truck tires premounted on refurbed wheels

I have the HF model...

It works okay for certain tires, but for some it really struggles.

Rims like aluminum Jeep 10-holes won't even go into it, as the center hole is far too small.

and larger-ish tires like 33 x 12.5's are kinda too big for it unless you permanently mount it to the ground.

But for trailer tires and most stock sizes it works pretty well...

It is hard to beat Wal-Mart for $11 per tire.

I bought an old crappy tire machine from a shop that was relocating.

$100, and compared to how I was doing it without the machine (hydrolic jack & a 6 foot wooden 4x4 under a beam in the basement to pop beads :nuts: ), it's probably already saved my life a few times. :smart:

It is hard to beat Wal-Mart for $11 per tire.

Last time I had Wal-Mart install tires was to put a pair of snow tires on the rear axle of my F100 (RIP). The guy went to pull the truck in, and walked back in 20 minutes later to ask me to do it, as he couldn't find reverse gear. So I get in to found out he had somehow pulled the shifter linkage out of the shift arms. I had to crawl under the truck with a flashlight, in 2" of rainwater when it was 35 degrees out to pop the linkage back in. Pulled the truck into the shop, grabbed a towel out from behind the seat to go to the rest room and try to get dried off a bit. As I looked back through thee shop window I saw him attempt to pop the bead without removing the valve core. I watched him attempt to blow himself up before I took of as I was getting rather cold.

After drying my jeans under the hand dryer I got back to the tire shop 30 minutes later, just in time for the guy to be done. So I paid, and was about to get in the truck to pull it out of the shop (I was NOT letting the moron try to drive it again!) when I saw 5 lug nuts on the shop floor beside the wheel, which was angles out pretty badly. I asked him, "You're done, right?". "Yup, all finished!" was the reply.

"THEN WHY THE H*** ARE THE LUG NUTS LAYING ON THE FLOOR THERE!"

"oh...".

That kid must have flunked out of the local MR/DD workshop. Never again will Wal-Mart do anything to my vehicles.

Can't beat $11 to have tires mounted? Not if you want it done properly. The only way they can do it that cheap is by hiring unqualified help. Qualified tire shop mechanics won't work for minimum wage/no benefits.

Can't beat $11 to have tires mounted? Not if you want it done properly. The only way they can do it that cheap is by hiring unqualified help. Qualified tire shop mechanics won't work for minimum wage/no benefits.

I've had similar issues with Belle Tire and they charge 2 or 3 times as much for tire work. I watch them all like a hawk. :D

I do it all the time.

To remove

Remove the valve core.

Use a Hi Lift to break the bead.

To install

This just about mirrors my methods. Yea its crude, but if your careful with the beads, it works. CO2 makes seating the beads a bit easier. I actually have a set to do this Sunday afternoon!!! jamminz.gif

Then for balancing, I have used the air-soft with mediocre results. now I rely on http://www.centramatic.com to balance my tires... Its a one time 200$ bill. You will never again have to worry about spinning a tire on a rim or sliding all the weights around the rim or those stick on weights that don't stick again!!

CW

I have had similar issues with walmart/sams. Had tires mounted and balance, kids doing it were barely smart enough to breathe. Got home and I had different length valve stems on on two of my rims, plus it wasn't balanced up worth a sh!%. Took it back, had the valve stems fixed and tires rebalanced. The tires still were out of balance, so I took it to one of the more reputable shops and they got the tires balanced up first shot. The kicker is that sams has lifetime balance and rotation of your tires you buy there and I like there allegra model of goodyear passenger tires. I have changed many tires using the above methods, but now just take them in unless I am short for time or in BFE.

Sunday afternoon, I mounted up four 265/75R15 tires on factory Jeep 10spoke rims. It took Pop and I about 30-35 minutes start to finish. this included a quick clean of the rims beads as they sat outside for a while. Tomorrow the go to the balance and on the XJ tomorrow evening.

This weekend, I have a set of 35 BFG MT's to get mounted on Eagle 589's for the TJ... These won't need a balance as I said my TJ has the centramatics.

CW