• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty simple really, there's also many write ups and videos about the conversion.

You can find kits with wiring and all for $50-$60, or source the parts yourself for around $20, even less if you can snag a used regulator and plug.

b0125e11.jpg

It will be a minute, I've still got a ton of research to do,i also still need to get the Continental out of the garage to make room for the MJ.

I did order some IDC40 ribbon cables to build the adapter to make the Speeduino plug into the 91 MJ harness, once i make it, i will have the boy design and 3d print a housing to attach the connector to the housing i got to hold the Speeduino.

I also got the 36-1 trigger wheel ordered to put on the crank since the Speeduino can't read either of the available 2.5l trigger patterns off the flywheel, (FYI there is code to support the 4.0l HO pattern so it will be easier for someone to convert a 4.0l.)

• 2 weeks later...

Another puzzle piece showed up, now i need to set this up on the crank pulley and relocate the crank sensor to read it.

I also picked up a new laptop just for tuning and various electronics projects, it's fancy enough to run everything i need but cheap enough to hang out in the garage.

Now I'm waiting on some cables and a breakout box so i can start playing with sensors on the Speeduino.

20190225_163327.jpg

20190225_164945_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A while back my son made me a hood ornament, it came out good but looked a little too small with the supercharger sitting behind it. So he upscaled it and made a much larger one, the new one seems to fit the truck better.

Capture+_2019-03-08-10-17-57.png

20190308_094724.jpg

20190308_094715.jpg

16 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

A while back my son made me a hood ornament, it came out good but looked a little too small with the supercharger sitting behind it. So he upscaled it and made a much larger one, the new one seems to fit the truck better.

Capture+_2019-03-08-10-17-57.png

20190308_094724.jpg

20190308_094715.jpg

Is that an Oregon Duck's duck? I like the color for sure

It's the Convoy/ Deathproof duck, it does look a lot like the Oregon duck though.

Since i live in Oregon, I'm sure many people will think it's the U of O duck, not that that's a bad thing, maybe i should add a beaver to even it out.

2 hours ago, mnkyboy said:

It's the Convoy/ Deathproof duck, it does look a lot like the Oregon duck though.

Since i live in Oregon, I'm sure many people will think it's the U of O duck, not that that's a bad thing, maybe i should add a beaver to even it out.

Hmmm, sounds familiar and definitely looks familiar. I like it, a jeep 2.5l with super charger and tough duck!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Lincoln moved out of the garage and the MJ moved back in, tonight i decided to remove the rear flares, I've gone back and forth about it and finally decided to just start cutting.

Now i have all sorts of room for activities, might have to get some 40s for it.

20190318_203054.jpg

20190318_203133.jpg

As the Jeep grew, i just kept trimming away at the flares. I planned to eventually remove them but didn't get around to it till now.

It looks good but different, it may take me a while to get use to it.

Got the assist ram installed, i need to machine an internal stop for it but the placement looks like it will work pretty good.

Also got the tapped steering box put in, which is a pain in the butt with my hidden winch set up.

I couldn't get the Bluetooth hydraulic hoses to work, so i took some measurements so i can make a set.

20190330_144030.jpg

It is a handy tool to have.

I already took the support off and put it back on when i tapped the steering box, but there really isn't much to it, i basically put the bearing on the sector shaft and started connecting the dots. My front end is already plated so I just tied into the existing plating rather than building a crossbrace like the off the shelf supports use.

• 3 months later...

My distributor has had a nasty wobble to it for a while, i finally dug in and found the issue.

Besides the broken pump drive, i found that when i put in the new pump it was having binding issues similar to the old pump, i pulled the locating dowel and found it was damaged and looked like it had been installed incorrectly at some point, i swapped in another one and the new pump turns nice and smooth.

Capture+_2019-07-13-11-39-27.png

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on here and wanna say this build thread is amazing. So glad you stuck with the 2.5 too. I just picked up an 86 MJ with a 2.5 so this is a huge inspiration. Keep up with the updates.

My buddy used Speeduino to tune his supercharged Miata and it seemed to work really well. There isnt nearly the same support as megasquirt but after the initial setup it's pretty easy. Neither one of us ever tuned before and we got it running pretty well.