Thanks.

Right now Speeduino seems comparable to the early days of Megasquirt as far as information and support stuff, it took Megasquirt a long time to get were it is and I imagine Speeduino will get there too in time. The 4.0l looks to be a little easier to set up since it's already supported by Speeduino but so far no one has done anything with the 2.5l

Tuning should be about the same since both use tuner studio. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update but a while back I noticed my oil pump had broken causing a bad distributor wobble, I swapped the Melling M81 for a cheap aftermarket pump.

I haven't been too happy with the new pump, it doesn't like to build pressure at start up, it builds pressure if I rev it then loses again pressure at idle, i think the relief is screwed up.

After some looking around i picked up a Melling M167HVS which is a variation of the Melling M81AHV high volume pump, I figure if I have to tear it down again I will upgrade.

The pump is not listed to fit a 2.5l but since they fit the 4.0l and 4.2l I know it will bolt up, so the issue will probably be pan clearance.

I reckon I'm gonna find out, shouldn't be too hard to make it fit.

The pics are the new high volume pump vs. the old M81

20190926_191343.jpg

20190926_191255.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not yet, I've been tinkering on my MGs so the MJ has been on the back burner.

I'm just about ready to pull my parts MG out of the garage so I can bring in the MJ and swap oil pumps.

I picked up some fresh race oil a couple days ago for it, hopefully I have all sorts of oil pressure here soon 

• 3 months later...

Finally got the MJ out, rinsed it off, and swapped oil pumps.

I had to use the original 2.5l pick up on the high volume pump, other than needing a spacer and a longer bolt for the pick up tube the larger pump fit perfectly with no oil pan clearance problems.

I got it all back together and did an oil change, the truck has great oil pressure.

20200319_112357.jpg

20200319_124604.jpg

20200319_125324.jpg

20200319_145438.jpg

20200319_161938.jpg

20200319_161949.jpg

• 1 month later...

No pics but I finally installed the SPA turbo adjustable FMU that I bought ages ago.

Now I'm waiting on a new O2 sensor for my wide band to show up so I can play with adjusting it. 

If I can make everything happy at 9psi, I might just leave it as it is and use the standalone on something else.

• 1 month later...

I took the MJ for a quick drive today, everything was great until out of nowhere the Jeep started missing and sounding like a modular Ford that just spit out a spark plug.

Turns out I pushed the head gasket out on the #1 cylinder, I guess I got another project.

Stroker would be fun, probably not right now though. I do have some spare engines I could eventually build one with.

For now I will throw another gasket in it, I'm looking to see if I have any options beyond another stock replacement.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to pulling it apart, there was over a month of lead time on the head gasket so I haven't been in a big hurry.

Everything looks pretty good besides the head gasket, so luckily I don't think there was any other damage.

20200814_103454.jpg

20200814_104110.jpg

20200814_104115.jpg

• 2 months later...

Since I'm still waiting for the headgasket, I decided to play with the ports a bit.

I will probably do a little more clean up in there before it goes back together, but they should flow better, I also did a little more work to the intake and supercharger adapter to get them flowing better.

20201017_141452.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Still no copper head gasket, Summit racing can't tell me when to expect it and I've reached out to the manufacturer twice with no response.

I did some looking and found a NOS embossed steel gasket set so, I will put my engine back together with that and I will also be installing ARP head studs.

For now I will keep the copper gasket on order and see if it shows up.

I've added some pics of the ARP studs, since people like pictures.

20201115_123338.jpg

20201115_123825.jpg

20201115_171056.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2009 at 8:27 PM, mnkyboy said:

Now time for a lift,I decided to install a 5" lift from Rocky-road outfitters,It uses old man EMU springs and i installed long travel shocks. the entire install took me about 7 hrs to complete by myself. the truck drives much better on the road now and has lots of flex off road.

/uploads/archive/af05c67d39d631a5fd3485f43a812ac5/5ab3a3ac094a8ac998817a3dc783fed2.jpg

/uploads/archive/af05c67d39d631a5fd3485f43a812ac5/b378a3fb567cbb11723f063b10b1143a.jpg

/uploads/archive/af05c67d39d631a5fd3485f43a812ac5/c2e8ba2e3eb0e0a40b83441e7c384831.jpg

Multiple questions

Were you happy with this lift for driving on the road? Also, do you remember if this lift kept the stock load capacity (or increased it)? Do you know if they still make this kit?

Thanks

Any updates with the head gasket?

I'm pretty sure they still sell that same kit, the basic RRO 5" kit lifts your truck an nothing more, I ended up adding control arm drop brackets and adjustable control arms, and I ditched the OME springs and spacers for full length 6.5" coils.

Then it worked pretty great on and offroad,not sure I would buy the RRO kit again though, once I was done there wasn't much of it left on my truck.

Still haven't seen the copper head gasket, I was going to install the steel one over the weekend but forgot my torque wrench at work, at this point I need to just go out the garage and reassemble it.

7 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

Then it worked pretty great on and offroad,not sure I would buy the RRO kit again though, once I was done there wasn't much of it left on my truck.

Thanks. I am wanting to go a little bit higher with my truck and I'm just looking to find a kit that people are happy with.

12 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Thanks. I am wanting to go a little bit higher with my truck and I'm just looking to find a kit that people are happy with.

there are none. even most kits available have been added to or parts swapped out for betterment. best to source parts individually per you desired build specs, to ensure complete installation of quality build.  

8 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

there are none. even most kits available have been added to or parts swapped out for betterment. best to source parts individually per you desired build specs, to ensure complete installation of quality build.  

Thank you, just from the little bit of research I’ve done so far, this is what I’m thinking of doing.