• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how tall you are (I seem to remember you mentioning it somewhere in this thread, I just don't remember), but are you going to be able to have your seat back far enough and still have enough legroom with the cage where it is? It looks kinda far away from the back of the cab.

12 hours ago, neohic said:

Does that main hoop fit with the interior plastics and trim still installed also?

No, the main hoop was part of the rock hard kit I bought and I think they made it a little too big, there was no way I was getting it in there with the interior panels installed.

I considered fixing it but I'm leaning towards leaving the plastic out, it has kind of a race truck feel.

12 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I don't know how tall you are (I seem to remember you mentioning it somewhere in this thread, I just don't remember), but are you going to be able to have your seat back far enough and still have enough legroom with the cage where it is? It looks kinda far away from the back of the cab.

I'm 6' tall.

The new seats are much thinner than the Dakota seats I had in there which helps a lot, I actually have to move the seat forward a little.

It might be hard to tell but some of the tubes are bent to allow the seats to go back a little further.

Finished tacking everything up and started pulling the cage for welding, in the process I managed to knock out the back window, luckily I have a spare.

I got the cage out and welded then primed it and painted it with bedliner.

It's now back in the truck and bolted in place.

20211218_141423.jpg

20211218_141556.jpg

20211218_155329.jpg

20211218_161234.jpg

20211219_115320.jpg

1 hour ago, 89eliminator said:

is it a weird camera trick, or are the top two rear "X" bars not mirrored bend wise?

They are a little different,  I bent them based on how the seats sit in the truck.

It looks a little wierd without the seats installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on another supercharged 2.5l for my YJ, so I've been bouncing between projects but, I finally cut out the windshield and finished removing the rear window. 

I've got a few little things to do inside then hopefully I will be done messing with the interior for a while.

20211231_154647.jpg

20211226_155036.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put the mean green starter in last weekend, the truck started but didn't crank as easily as it should have.

I decided it was time to upgrade the batteries to something better suited for starting an engine.

So the two 6 volts came out and a single group 31 AGM took their place. 

I also moved the battery from under the spare so now the spare tire sits flat in the bed.

20220122_145920.jpg

Hardcore tech... gas shock hood lift install. :roflmao:

:nutherround::beerbang:

I find it hard to believe with my love for self tapper screws and MacGyver build is not as hardcore I don't think.. When  compared to your much deserved respect for a great build upgrades and modifications forever deserves to be in the hardcore tech. Enjoy and appreciate your build and sharing of what works for you. :beerbang:

• 3 months later...

The truck was having some pretty serious blowby issues so I tore the engine down to investigate, it wasn't pretty.

Surprisingly besides the blowby and a slight tick at idle,it still ran pretty good.

20220319_155631.jpg

20220319_155639.jpg

20220319_155636.jpg

20220319_154354.jpg

I considered swapping in a different engine but eventually decided to stick with the 2.5l a bit longer.

The last engine was basically a stock 0.060" over rebuild that I tossed a cam in, this time it's getting some upgrades.

2618 forged pistons and 4340 I beam connecting rods bushed for floating pins, they should put up with a little more abuse than the stock stuff.

20220327_124903.jpg

20220418_163705.jpg

20220511_173540.jpg

20220511_173610.jpg

I also got a Microsquirt ECM so I can finally tune the thing, should help keep the engine together. The Microsquirt looks to be a lot more straightforward than the Speeduino I picked up so maybe I will actually install this one.

I also got an Eaton M90 that I'm mocking up on one of my spare 2.5ls, the little Kenne Bell works pretty hard to make 10psi, the M90 should be able to make more boost with less effort and create less heat.

I should also be able to keep it under the hood and out of the rain, the supercharger sticking through the hood is cool looking but not really the best location for something that's out in the elements.

20220326_114943.jpg

20220410_191653.jpg