So this weekend I had planned to put the head back on the Jeep with the embossed steel gasket, Saturday morning I'm  scrolling through Facebook and see a post on Turbo Ford (another addiction of mine) with a SCE copper head gasket, he ordered it 6 months ago and it had just arrived.

I have been waiting since early July for mine to show up so this guys post has me wondering if I should wait just a little longer, I bet the day I put that thing back together the Copper gasket will show up.

Not sure what I'm gonna do.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until I blew the head gasket the truck was ready to go and just waiting on me.

After 3 years and a couple surgeries the doctors say my knee is as good as it's going to get, it's far from normal but good enough that I should be able to safely walk around on muddy trails again. So the plan is to get it back together and hopefully get it back on the trails.

I probably won't do anything too drastic with the truck any time soon, I still need to get a cage in it and I've been thinking about getting some bead locks. Eventually I would still like to link the rear but I don't know how soon that's going to happen. 

Finally worked on the MJ a bit, it's mostly back together but apparently I forgot to get a new valve cover gasket.

I also left the fuel rail off, I'm thinking about swapping the 24lb injectors for a set of 30lb injectors.

20201219_124105.jpg

20201219_134322.jpg

20201219_162239.jpg

Good news, it lives. Bad news, it's coming back apart.

It's still trying to figure out how to idle right with the bigger injectors but sounds pretty healthy, problem is that it's pushing compression into the cooling system so apparently I've got a cylinder leaking into a water jacket.

Not sure if I'm going to try to reseal the copper gasket or just swap in the steel one, I used copper coat on the gasket but probably should have used a little silicone too. 

Having to modify the gasket might have played into the sealing issue too,I contacted SCE about the incorrect cut on the copper gasket and they are talking to their engineering team to find out what happened, maybe they will fix it and send me another one in 6 more months.

It was nice to see it run though, the video is the first start after sitting 6 months.

Luckily I've had it apart a few times so it won't take long to fix, I had the supercharger off so many times when I was setting it up that I can have it on a bench in around 20 minutes.

From there it takes nothing to pop the head back off.

I think draining both cooling systems might be the worst part.

• 2 weeks later...

I took it back apart today, the plan was to reseal the copper gasket but after taking it apart I decided just to put the steel embossed gasket in since I know for sure I can get it to seal.

Maybe once SCE gets a gasket with the correct cut I will revisit the copper gasket.

I didn't get a chance to run the engine today but at least it's all back together.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a Covid outbreak at my house so i haven't been doing much of anything the last couple weeks, today I finally started the Jeep and pulled it out of the garage.

It was having a hard time idling with the bigger injectors but seems to be improving the more it runs, so I will have to wait a bit and see what happens there.

I only drove it a little out in front of the house but it feels pretty healthy, I punched it from a roll and it easily spun the tires.

I took a quick video of the exhaust, it sounds a little different from how it was before.

Finally added an oil catch can and coolant bottle today, I got away without the catch can for a long time but after I turned the boost up I've noticed it pushing more oil out of the breather,so it was time.

Not sure why I didn't have a coolant bottle, I took it out a few years ago and for some reason it never got put back, I think the aluminum tank looks cooler anyway.

20210130_155430.jpg

20210130_152236.jpg

20210130_155134.jpg

Been meaning to bolt down the air filter for years, today I found an old Rustys air filter adapter in the garage from an MJ I had parted, so I tossed it on.

It's bolted to the AC pump bracket and seems to fit ok, kinda flimsy though so I might have to beef it up some.

I think it looks better than the cut up Ford Focus tube I've had on it for the last decade.

20210131_162656.jpg

• 2 weeks later...