Gladiator Rear Bumper on a Comanche

Since I first saw a Gladiator is person, I had wondered if the rear bumper could be modified to work on a Comanche. Well, as fate would have it, one appeared for sale on Facebook Marketplace for super cheap. I jumped on it and figured it was worth getting my hands on. Worse case, I could just sell it if I didn’t think it would work. Please note, this write up is for a Gladiator Bumper only. I do not know if a JL bumper will fit the same way.

image.jpeg.421c90a18b460812f995aa6791b9627b.jpeg

I picked it up and sat in on a sawhorse at the back of the Jeep. The width was roughly the same as the stock MJ bumper and was pretty solid (more so than a stock Comanche bumper). I would just need to trim some of the steel and plastic to fit around the harder corners of the MJ. 

image.jpeg.b21f38cf7cc23f9cea4974aa52853935.jpeg

I removed the plastic caps and started to trim small sections of metal until it it fit around the MJ to my liking. 

image.jpeg.091c6ed6f868d5f01521e8feaa80c09a.jpeg

image.jpeg.6e63774c3a7e2ccc79d09246afaa2474.jpeg

image.jpeg.c4e2c2d632ed206d21c0c50d87fea154.jpeg

I built brackets off of the bumper using the stock studs in the bumper. I used 3/16th thick angle iron and 3/16th plate to make brackets that would bolt from the bumper and allow it to sit on and wrap around the stock bumper brackets. 

image.jpeg.4bf1a33a65a30199cce5bcbdeaa8d20b.jpeg

I then was about to drill and bolt the new brackets onto the stock frame bracket. I used bolts to hold everything together and it felt very sturdy. I will probably go back and add welds for extra strength.

once I had my final fitment, I pulled the bumper back off and reinstalled the plastic caps. I then trimmed the plastic back to match the steel and covered the cut plastic in a flat black edge trim that I purchased from Orielly’s. 

image.jpeg.0f88676b88635acfb3d68dbd20300f2b.jpeg

image.jpeg.85cbd8531bcb7efdf363fa5acf8797e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.678ebc4e1184dc1ad4443801df5186cd.jpeg

image.jpeg

I feel a certain level of blasphemy going on here. I remember when the JT was first announced. The first thing I went and did was waited for its parts diagram to be launched into starparts, looked at the bumper and went, well that ain’t gonna mount up. 

But well done! 

23 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I feel a certain level of blasphemy going on here.

I feel like this is more of a "wearing the skin of your slain enemies" kind of thing here.

No joke, I think this looks really good. Especially from the side.

• 2 weeks later...