What books to read

jdog

Well with the virus running rampant I've now got some free time and I am wondering what books are a must-read to you? These are ones that you've read over and over again for some reason or another. Thank you all for your recommendations.

Would you rather listen to a podcast?
I'm into podcasts now. Listen to em about 6 hours a day

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm open for either ill listen to podcasts to pass the day

You didn't say what you liked, so this is a little of everything.  I read these for entertainment.  I actually listened to many of these as audiobooks (and mostly from Audible).  In no particular order:

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

IQ84 by Haruki Murakami (I think Murakami is an acquired taste- not for everyone)

Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor by Russell S. Bonds (true story)

John Dies at the End by David Wong (and his other books)

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi (and his other works)

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge (true story)

14 by Peter Clines (and is other books)

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae by Steven Pressfield (based on historical events)

Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Joan Druett (true story)

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Artemis by John Weir (who wrote The Martian- both are good)

Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life by Hector Garcia & Francesc Miralles

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Start With Why by Simon Sinek (Business & Leadership)

Legacy by James W Kerr (Leadership)

Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose (Lewis & Clark expedition)

Any of the original James Bond books by Ian Fleming (much better than you'd expect if you've only watched the movies)

Cormac McCarthy (everything he has written- he has a different writing style- it's like watching a movie where you must pay attention at all times)

Stephen King (everything he has written)

Robert Heinlein (everything he wrote)

Michael Crichton (everything he wrote)

Those of you old enough to remember The Wonderful World of Disney may recall a movie called The Great Locomotive Chase. That movie was based on the actual events, with Disney liberties applied. 

Also, Charlie Chaplin made a silent film called The General based on the same event 

8 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

Stealing the General- good book, especially if you like Civil War history 👍

Which reminds me that I left out The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (Battle of Gettysburg)

Great book.

"We're out of ammo.  Fix bayonets and prepare to charge."

West with the Night by Beryl Markham....Autobiographical story  a woman bush pilot in then British East Africa between the world wars.  Best written book I believe I've ever read.  Hemingway said she could write rings around him.

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne.  About Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the COMANCHES.

For WW2 buffs.....How Hitler could have won WW2 by Bevin Alexander.  Shows critical mistakes he made and how he could have easily won had he not made them.  Thankfully he did.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Ivan Doig's Montana Trilogy.... English Creek, Dancing at the Rascal Fair & Ride with Me, Mariah Montana.

Lonesome Dove books....Larry McMurtry or anything really.

Eye of the Needle....Ken Follett, love all of his early books.

12 hours ago, strictlyxjs said:

I saw this book at my local thrift store. If you says its good maybe ill go pick it up.

I enjoyed it. I'm not an avid reader, but it's one of the 50 or so books that i choose to own.

Chickenhawk Robert Mason

Car Guys vs Bean Counters Bob Lutz

The Gun CJ Chivers

The Way of the fight. George StPierre

No True Glory Bing West

Dingo Firestorm Ian Pringle

The Man Who Warned America Murray Weiss

Heart of a Soldier. James Stewart

On 3/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, coheed said:

Any Douglas Adams book if you like SciFi comedy.

everyone should read Hitchhikers guide!  probably my favorite book. :D  (but admittedly my condition makes is very hard to get anything out of a book so I'm way behind in anything new)

everyone should read Hitchhikers guide!  probably my favorite book.   (but admittedly my condition makes is very hard to get anything out of a book so I'm way behind in anything new)
I keep a towel in the Comanche because of this book, hadn't realized there were sequiles

I read all 5 books of the Hitchhiker's Trillogy when it came out and have a leather bound edition of all the books.  Definitely a lighthearted and fun read.  They were made into a movie that was... disappointing.  Though Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin was absolutely perfect.  The BBC made an incomplete miniseries based on the first two books I believe.  It was a bit better if you like British TV.

I forgot a few books in my list.  Arthur C. Clarke wrote a number of great books including 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001

Isaac Asimov is another writer with many great works including I Robot as well as the whole Foundation series.

8 hours ago, jdog said:

Why is it that most of the time when they make a movie out of a book they screw it up

Great question.  Among my favorite books are Stephen King's Dark Tower series.  The Dark Tower movie was a let down.  The story deserved a treatment like The Lord of the Rings or the Marvel Cinematic Universe.