rustiest MJ

Pete M

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The body line didn’t look near as bad as that, but I recall my old ‘88 I got years ago in a mad scramble to figure out a cheap winter beater.

C6C5C7B9-27D5-4CA9-8593-9A4E34E9D794.jpeg.5c1d2b1eabda6443c84e24b353e55bf3.jpeg

There was TONS of rust all covered up with bondo! I had it and then I sold it to Austin (xjrev10). He was filling it with gas, the tank got filled enough that the weight ripped the straps out of the frame, so it got a ratchet strap all the way around the bed! I think he then drove it home to empty the tank followed by driving it across the scales. I’m sure it’s pots and pans by now. 

Just now, Pete M said:

if it's steel, it can be mended :D 

Although I think for these trucks, "mending" will look something like

Step 1: Remove license plates

Step 2: build new Jeep Comanche

Step 3: Installation reverse of removal

I'll play. Just dropped it off at our welder's place on the way to work this morning, we'll be looking at putting some square tube in instead of the, um... air. 

LmHV4ek.jpg

Don't be fooled... anywhere you see paint is the outer rocker, anywhere there's rust is the inner falling apart. 

ylcaoQO.jpg

qKJUzdG.jpg

and that's just the rockers... The bedsides are going, I'll probably get some heavy plate welded in there. The floors are still solid enough to pass an inspection... somehow. 

It is pretty sad. Even my ZJ, the nicest in my small fleet, is a little beyond "a touch of rust around the edges". And it got hit by a fresh splash of road salt again today. 

cNzZt5w.jpg

UcMad4B.jpg

To all the locals the snow today would be nothing, but the unfortunate part of being in a resort town is all the tourists who've never driven in snow in their lives, in rental cars with garbage for tires, means the plows and sanders come back out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, Pete M said:

I'm sure there are worse looking ones out there, but this one is definitely in the running. :( 

64383139_2792040914170864_9012654206804295680_n.jpg

This one was part of the collection where I bought mine.  (Jeep hoarder forced selling by County).   Its a little more ragged then it was, as the seller stripped the tail lights and looks like some trim.  It was a plow jeep, and the sub frame was reinforced with angle iron.  From the bed forward actually was in decent shape.  It ran and moved under it's own power as well.  I think it was only $150.00 or so when I looked at it.  It was more interested in mine and trying to save it from the scrap yard that I didn't think twice about it.  Now looking back I should of paid $150 taken the tail lights, dome lights and tail gate, and let it go to scrap.  I know a jeep flipper bought a couple things from this collection, and obviously hes trying to cash in now that it's stripped.

• 2 months later...