Comanche Facebook groups

shelbyluvv

I don't know if someone here runs them or not but my God what a disaster they are! I was a member of "All things Jeep Comanche" for less than three hours before I removed myself.

The incorrect information and just plain stupidity on there is mind blowing! Some of the things that drove me away...

The 90 Street MJ, the having to modify your cab for a after market rear window and it's fine to tow a 5k trailer with no sway bars!

Holy crap! I will remain here and other real Jeep forums and let the idiots have FB. I don't have the patience to deal with that crap.

It's trying for sure. I direct people this way as often as I can, but frequently thanks to Facebook's dumb algorithms, I don't usually see stuff until it's been saturated with disinformation and I doubt anyone is even reading my answer at that point. You see the same questions posted over and over within the same groups, and there's no effective way of digging up real content. 

A couple months ago someone was asking advise on a no-start, and the first bunch of responses were just randomly throwing out parts with no real diagnostics. I typed up a quick response going over how to narrow down the problem, directed him to cruiser54.com and here, op liked it. A couple weeks later he posted up again saying he swapped all the parts recommended and it didn't help... no $#!&. I gave him another "Hey, you didn't do any diagnostics. Start with that, then go from there, don't waste money on parts you don't need." Got another like, but a couple weeks later there's another post. A bunch more new parts, some clearly just suggested by people trolling, still no start. Dude is fed up, hates the truck, can't throw more money at it, wants to know what it's worth to sell. I explain he did no diagnostics, probably broke it worse by throwing cheap parts at it for no reason, now there's probably more stuff wrong but we don't even know what because everything's been screwed with. He liked my post again, but still didn't reach out for more information, ignored good info for quick fixes and random morons. 

Facebook is a business that makes money by collecting your personal information and selling it, under the guise of connecting people. If you don'tbelieve me, that's literally their business model. They're not interested in anything other than profit, and makes more money the more they can target crap at you. They pick and choose what you see... and it seems the more useful info I post on popular threads, the longer it ends up being up before I see new ones in my feed, the more BS has been posted. Facebook is only interested in what's popular that people will come back up. It's a terrible medium for sharing help. 

facebook can be... frustrating... to say the least.  To a random owner seeking help it can be very hard to know which posts are the correct ones to follow.  Plus many posters seem to just want to pay attention to the posts that fit their own agenda (need a quick fix, bigger is always better, etc).  I like to help people, and I feel compelled to stick around just to be able to interject facts (as we know them) into the mix when I can, but I've learned that for my own sanity I also need to just back away after a post or 2 on a subject.   The DIY forum is fantastic because I can easily link the OP to a whole thread of discussion about a topic rather than typing a long dissertation that might get drowned out.  :D 

And those reasons are why I don't do the Facebook.  This forum is real people who actually understand and know the truck they are working on. Facebook is a sad representation of anything that has anything to do with it. Facebook is for people who don't want to test parts or actually fix things IMHO. Thank you Pete and all the members here!!

it's not all people like that though.  Some are just looking for help.  I've noticed a trend in the last few years that people aren't using search engines like they used to.  I've talked to guys that have never even searched google for "comanche".  Their very first thought was to search FB for comanche pages.  Blows my mind. 

am I now officially... old?  :dunno:

I joined a couple of FB Comanche groups about a month ago to see what I might have been missing.  I agree with the assessments above.  There's a ton of bad information being passed around as truth on those groups, the format is terrible and the members are lazy.  At this point, I stop by there about once a week if I need a laugh.

11 hours ago, Minuit said:

Like it or not, FB is the future. 

This for sure.  In the last few years Facebook built a new shiny complex near Des Moines, well I say shiney but it looks more like a prison, all concrete and 10ft fences with razor wire.  The thing is stupid massive and I'm guessing it's almost entirely servers, none of the buildings look like they would house offices.  I drive past it everyday and still can't believe how large it is.  Keep in mind this is only 2-3years old meaning these are everywhere.

The three gray topped buildings are the Facebook data complex.  The complex is larger than Adventureland.  

Screenshot_20190428-093714.png

Screenshot_20190428-093806.png

8 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I have found some true gems on there before

:yeahthat:   The only reason I follow any of the Jeep related groups on FB. 

Facebook is not a source for anything credible.  It's a good means to keep in touch with close friends and family (that aren't geographically close). 

There's also some really cool pics and videos, and some really funny stuff out there.  

Right^^^ CC is for technical answers. No idiots. But Facebook is where the parts are!

I just bought an AMC 20 out of an MJ in Maryland Saturday.
I've bought about 10 times more parts off Facebook than here.
But I've learned about 100 times more on here than there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk