short bed or long bed

What mj do you prefer?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. What mj do you prefer?

• short bed
    • long bed

It's a tossup... For actual DD duties the LWB might be more useful, as it can fit more junk. Although, the short bed does just fine for most use, and parking is a breeze even in those crappy places called cities... For building a wheeler, I'd go short. For building more of an expo rig (long distances, camping, etc) I'd probably go long. For a street truck (lowered, v8 swap, etc) I'd probably still go short - it weighs less and I think the porportions look better. However, if the truck has a rake, I think the long bed looks better.

So, umm, how about a couple of each?

I have had 2 LWBs and now I have a SWB. I personally like a LWB better. The bed is more useable for hauling stuff when you need the gate closed. I have also found that I could put my 300 EX and my boys 250 ATVs in the bed of a long box. Not going to happen with the short box.

i'd say get one of each and you won't have any regrets :brows: I would like to have another one but the wife will shoot me :hate banana: :rotfl2: for sure just had to get rid of the 89 cherokee which work had me going all over the east coast so i couldn't get the seats out of them :wall:

I've only had a long bed (I had a short but never used it). I use it on trip and such so the extra space is nice. But I can see where a swb would be better off road. And I also agree, in stock for a swb looks better, but once anything gets bigger on the truck, the long bed is nice.

swb, swb, swb. I haven't had the experience of a lwb, but I don't think I'd like it. Every MJ I've ever driven(I believe the count is up to 5) was a swb. I started driving with XJs, and even longer wheelbase and wider turning radius of the swb MJ was hard to get used to.

i'd say get one of each and you won't have any regrets :brows: I would like to have another one but the wife will shoot me :hate banana: :rotfl2: for sure just had to get rid of the 89 cherokee which work had me going all over the east coast so i couldn't get the seats out of them :wall:

Agreed -- one of each is the way to go (unless you can swing three of each). The SWB is better for wheeling and daily driver duty, but the LWB is definitely more "utilitarian."

At the moment I have three SWB and two LWB here. Eventually I need to "thin the herd" and I hope to end up with one restored SWB and one half decent LWB. Although the '88 SWB 4-banger is sort of a sentimental favorite and I may talk myself into keeping that one, as well.

longbed for work, towing (nice longer wheelbase makes trailer handling easier), and DD duty. I love being able to toss whatever I want in the bed and go.

shortbed...well, I can't fit a damn thing in the back of it, unless I feel like removing the fullsize spare and mount and toolbox. I love the truck, it's great wheeling.

I'd never wheel a longbed...end of story. too much high center, @$$ dragging, and they look TERRIBLE bobbed IMHO.

so coming from a guy who's had easily 5 of each, longbed for duties, shortbed for fun.

• 8 years later...

Old thread, I was just curious to see which folks preferred. I have 2 short beds, and one long bed. I just bought the longbed and have been driving it extensively the last few weeks. I thought I preferred the shortbed, but the reality of these MJ's (after owning an XJ for 22yrs) is there is absolutely no room to put anything in the cab. So...you either have to put a cap or a toolbox in the back. I'm not too crazy about a permanent cap (although I bought a short bed one), and I can see that a toolbox of any size would cut the 6' bed down to zilch. Also, I had a flat last week and had it towed in... the rear bumper drug excessively unloading off the rollback.

Long bed is great for every day use. If you're going to off road it chopping the bed down gives your a larger wheel base over shorts. Seems like more people make aftermarket sliders and what not for LWB comanches too for some reason.

Since most of my home duties require hulling heavy trailers thru the mud or equipment in the back I like my 2 MJ long beds. The cab is too small to put anything in and need the extra room in the back. a good amount of time 40% I am in 4wd low and go thru mud a foot or 2 thick. It has never failed me yet. if I was to rock climb or something like that I can see the advantages of the short bed. The MJ is the smallest Truck I own anyway!  The only other Truck I take in to the clay gullies is my 1966 Int Harvester and the MJ handles much better being a 3 1/2 shorter, and weighing 5000 lbs less.

LWD here.

I purchased the MJ because I need a truck to haul "stuff" from Home Depot and other "stuff" to the dump from home renovation projects.  So I really like the 7 ft. 4 inch bed.  After moving to the "new" house, I pulled the SnugTop off, that made it easier to bring in trees, plants, and landscaping materials. Not to mention lumber and concrete blocks!

I've only had LWB, but wouldn't mind owning a SWB.

I DD mine and enjoy it. Gets better mileage than my XJ, and it's a manual which I also enjoy driving more.

I've not slept in the bed yet, but being 6'2 the LWB I can fit front to back comfortably and not have to lay at an angle or with tailgate down.

With good protection I see the LWB vs SWB a non-issue for wheeling.