Chunk, A 1984 XJ

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Oh nice. Haven't seen a set of those ever. :applause:

Not a common headrest. Usually found in the upper trims. 

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

very aerodynamic :D 

Lol for the AC probably. 

6 hours ago, Minuit said:

Reminds me of older Volvo headrests.

5RTJRFLQ9ZBT2Y.webp

I always thought the same thing when I’ve seen pics of them. 

40 minutes ago, RustyRodder said:

Nice!  Ive had a set of those laying around- been debating on selling them

I think folks out there are after them for that 80’s look. I haven’t seen many for sale so I can’t tell you what they have been going for. Probably could get $100 I’d imagine. 

• 1 month later...

So I’m learning how y’all handle the rusty floors. Having an anemic air compressor doesn’t help me much but I am in no rush to get the floor done. That being said I have started the rust repair trials. 

8E94114D-BFE0-44DF-999B-7FA8EBBC9336.jpeg.4d41c88a4875ab1a58c1734c1098b1d5.jpeg

Now I am pleased to report that the frame is in beautiful shape and if there is any rust, it was wire wheeled away from existence. I will be spraying it with spray paint to prevent any further damage if any. 

Here is todays cancer removal:

983E486C-668B-400B-B830-E02F4CEDB401.jpeg.f00204dd4e52dee19b608bef7fc0a15b.jpeg

Leaves were not in the Jeep, just apart of the sweeping pile haha. 

13 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

Lookin good!

Thanks. Having an anemic compressor doesn’t help much. Cactuscomanche told me to use some tin snips and that saved a lot of time haha. 
But welding that little section in is tough cause it also is a thin metal but all I have for right now. 

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

were you using an air grinder to make the cuts?  harbor freight has 10 dollar corded ones. :L:  I built my truck with that guy. :D 

Yup! Was using an air one. But now that I know this I might have to invest in one of those along with an angle grinder haha. I’ve got lots of tools to still buy. Right now it’s the front of the drivers, then the rear and then probably the entire passenger side in that order. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Haven’t had much progress on doin the floors. Wife has been obsessed with bandit lately so I’ve been getting that figured. Buuuuutttt I got this for Chunk

38335415-D69D-4D04-9AAC-20F49C5086BE.jpeg.8844a0dbed459cd12e8d5106a6d72ff7.jpeg

Oh yeah. System sentry is coming. 

Thanks Will! 

damn-damn-damn-damn.gif.0b28cebc8a65e270d0a75ecc05ff9502.gif

You're finding all the good stuff lately!

Let me know if you need some help with that. One of these days I'm gonna have one of my own.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

damn-damn-damn-damn.gif.0b28cebc8a65e270d0a75ecc05ff9502.gif

You're finding all the good stuff lately!

Let me know if you need some help with that. One of these days I'm gonna have one of my own.

Pretty damn lucky haha. I have a member on here to thank very much for finding it. I also snagged a NOS master cyl for the system sentry. Here goes nothin with this set up and I will let you know, it seems very simple for how complex it sounds.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:30 PM, eaglescout526 said:

I also learned an air hammer does fantastic work at getting under the spot weld spots and ripping up the rusted floor. 

I'm curious if anyone else has gone the fast lazy route with a drill bit. I'm guilty of it multiple occasions separating besides. When people complain about floor pans, I always laugh and show them a 96 down wiper cowl. I think those are worse than separating inner and outer bedsides.

4 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I'm curious if anyone else has gone the fast lazy route with a drill bit. I'm guilty of it multiple occasions separating besides. When people complain about floor pans, I always laugh and show them a 96 down wiper cowl. I think those are worse than separating inner and outer bedsides.

I've used a center punch and a spot weld drill bit to skin the sides off a bed.

An even quicker method if you're looking to just remove metal and spot welds and don't care about condition is a belt grinder. Works wonders and it's very fast.

• 1 month later...

038F4E70-9881-4B8E-B0CA-7CCFA883609F.jpeg.eede6a8e5e1a702b98c015fed9d92b01.jpeg

Finally some major progress. I switched metals I was using, went from sheet metal from Chrysler scrap to a dryer haha. Learned that one from a street MJ member and boy is it some damn good metal. I honestly can’t justify spending the amount for keyparts floor pans. Anywho I’ve got it down now and am almost done with the drivers side front. I’ll be able to move on to the either the pass front or the drivers rear pan. I don't know which one I want to tackle yet. 

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

2B9CB532-9E09-4672-9296-9970E6055D81.jpeg.6aeeb6b84ba54a22f61507fbdbb066b0.jpeg

Out with the old and in with the new. Here goes and I will have a nice solid new floor for this XJ. Once that’s done I start putting in new wiring for all the power options and future fuel injection. 

This makes me think the best time to replace my exhaust will be during a passenger floor pan replacement. I'm also mad at myself for scrapping all those free washer and dryers I used to bring home years back when I moved furniture for a living. 

24 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I'm also mad at myself for scrapping all those free washer and dryers I used to bring home years back when I moved furniture for a living.

Same. I scrapped my old washer without thinking about how good of floor pans they make for our Jeeps. 

• 1 month later...

BAE3DDBC-F0A8-4ADF-9C87-985106F45EFE.jpeg.38aa5c763cbb60a325e8b7cc6c1d94e4.jpeg

I am finally happy to say that the floor is done! They aren’t the best welds in the world but they are pretty sturdy to satisfy me. The only issue I still have is the rear of this floor panel is the seam sealer and lack of metal to actually batten the floor down is an issue but not much of one to have me greatly concerned. Now I need to get some primer to paint the floor and seabring red paint to make the floor new again. 

Now I can begin electrical work for the seats, doors, mirrors and getting the harness prepped and ready for the TBI conversion.