Chunk, A 1984 XJ

So I committed some slight blaspheme. I added the power seat switches to both seats and I think for being a completely different seat base than the power seats, I think I landed the install pretty good for both.

IMG_0476.jpg.65b3ef2431153c645a8fbbd28160186e.jpg

I also got both passenger doors equipped with the locking solenoids and got the wiring harness for the rear door set up as well. Next will be to install the solenoid on the drivers side and start converting the rear harness to mate with the new body harness.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power locks are working, found a sacrificial harness for the female metri 280 plug I needed. Got that settled in, plugged it and power into the block and the power locks work. They need some help and I’ll probably do a relay upgrade for them in the future to help them out but for now they work and will get lubed for even more help which is probably why these solenoids have such a hard time. 

Bonus, the power seats are working as they should! Woot! This is gonna be a fun luxurious XJ. 

So I picked up some XJW goodies today. They are the windows with the chrome trim in the molding for the rear quarters and rear hatch. I still am undecided if I want to go full chrome or do a mix of both black and chrome. Oh I also grabbed an upgrade that struck me by surprise, Chunk doesnt have the switches for the rear doors to turn on the interior lights when the rear door opens, so I got both sides and their harness today. I think I am going to try to figure out how to get the rear latch to do the same at some point in the future as well.

As I inch closer to putting the interior together, I find more things to do while I am in there. I am going to do the window sweeps next along with the channel guides closest to the fixed windows of each door. 

Hopefully thereafter or sooner, depending on when I get the 2.5L TBI harness, I can integrate the system sentry with the TBI harness rather than integrate it now since it goes through the same hole as the ECU harness into the firewall. I might start prepping the removal of the present engine management harness and toss it in the engine bay just so I have an XJ to move still. 

Major progress!

New FI harness is swapped in. Committed Jeep blaspheme some might say but i mated the hatch harness by cutting off the old connectors that I have no idea what they are, they look molex, and put on the proper connectors and here we are:

ED71A03C-0C6A-47D9-AB52-11515717A647.jpeg.dcec02d9e1518cfda5926f8c3281bc33.jpeg

And yes everything works with no issues what so ever. Gave my mail man anxiety when he saw what I was doing haha. But no fuses popped and all is good. Just the fuel gauge doesn’t read at all cause I haven’t swapped the sending unit yet. I might adapt the old connector to the new one just for the sake or knowing how much gas I have left. 

Also I upgraded the rear doors to have the door switch. Funny thing about this is the holes are there and plugged…but not threaded. Talk about wild. And of course I threaded the switches in and here we are:

E9477A4B-2065-440F-8E96-FEB34E4752EC.jpeg.bd44bdafb8b39170ac0b3df50e4f8ea1.jpeg8D2DFB04-9AEA-4E74-BAB3-C289D3228DB2.jpeg.397e1cbc037182faedf3a7c6aaa8f6c5.jpeg

The lights come on!

Luckily I snapped the drivers side before putting it switch to show that this is what they looked like

F8BDB375-687B-4E34-89E5-9CBE52573590.jpeg.6d211d494ca80536a7f004b8e6557168.jpeg

I had no idea that this was an option back in the day but at this point, why not just buy a two door? But I digress, maybe if you have passengers, there’s no need for the lights to come on I suppose. Ehh another 84 oddity I will remember. 

Lots up next.

The latest greatest ebay find:

This will replace my current console insert with a correct era insert along with the 4wd switch and lever bezel and it has the electric mirror switch hole which I will not have to make a hole for in my NOS insert, woot!

IMG_0530.jpg.c2eb9fd4c1f7561b2878686adabe0b2f.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg.3acc9b715e64adeae5951bbaf8259f11.jpg

made on the first month of 84

IMG_0532.jpg.630c41b1b25742cd9eee50ad54c6fd5f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I havent done anything else lately but I managed to start making the other half of the auto level system harness together. Need to order some more pack con terminals to finish up. Hopefully I will get some paint here to paint the floor and put the rubber mat back in and get the front portion of the interior assembled. Thats the plan!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update but I test out the auto leveling system tonight since I finally finished making the wiring harness. It works as it should! The sensor senses when the vehicle is too low and when it’s where it needs to be. Now it’s not installed but I had to do a test run since I finished the harness. This is gonna be a cool accessory. 

Lets see, what did I get done today.

image.jpeg.c0efa1ab7dba41a229f49c62075a662a.jpeg

Floors are painted check!(pill capsules are for screws so I don't lose them, not actual medicine)

shift gate has been changed for the 228/9 t-case.

Vinyl floor has been put back in.

Seats have been put back in and tested to make sure they still work.

Seat belt buckles are in. Drivers side not chiming, looking into that.

Lots have been done today!

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

Those seats look outlandishly comfy.

And you’re right. They really are comfy. Like they may not have the wings that later seats do but man I feel comfy as I type this while sitting in the drivers seat haha. No stress on the back what so ever. 

head liner is out, it is gonna get recovered tomorrow. I made a new roof harness to use the new dome/map lamp and one for the cargo lamp as well. Currently don't have the right cargo lamp but when I find one I will do the swap which will be easy. Also got the holes cut/expanded for both lamps. Gonna be really nice to have both.

9DFC1A87-96C1-423D-9E85-94E09E3FCC20.jpeg.c6f7094f0c9c814115fc71f38f2c1927.jpeg

Got this done last night. It is now ready for the headliner and dome lamps. Slight hiccup in the headliner. My dad has tweed to do the liner but there’s not enough sadly so I had to order more. This will match the seats a bit more and be more in line with my MJ and her headliner. 

Also the window seals came in but not the wipes, those are backorder till April(no these aren’t OEM sadly as those are gone now.)

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0765.jpg.45b3fcc99a2c62a71b2d371d9874832d.jpg

And here we are. Installed and ready to go. The holes for the cargo lamps almost lined up, so I cut them some more and used the cargo lamp to cover my wrongly placed hole thats an inch off from where it actually is supposed to be. I learned I am not precise for crap but thats ok. 

Also got the drivers side kick panel on after getting new wiring connector clips that clip to the metal shield so the kick panel can be installed, that was a pain but its worse without the clips trying to shove all that wiring back. Up front dome lamp is the map light dome lamp combo, really neat and effective. Got the NOS pass vanity visor installed, I havent decided if I want to located a fabric visor for the drivers side yet as now I have both a vinyl and cloth visor haha. But its for the wife. Has a broken mirror which is how I got it a lot cheaper than the dealer had it listed for so not much harm there. I have a visor or two with good mirrors that should work.