Chunk, A 1984 XJ

6 hours ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

That is about how the engine bay on my Eagle looks right now. Working on removing all the unused wires from the Cherokee harness I used to convert it to fuel injection. 

Haha glad I’m in the same boat with someone. Love watching your Eagle build. Farther along than I but I had a floor to repair. That reminds me, since you and are are basically doing the same thing with our AMCs, how much of the old ECE harness did you have to yank out? I feel it’s the same for both of us here. 

Oh and does your Eagle have pipes from the cat to the engine bay?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Haha glad I’m in the same boat with someone. Love watching your Eagle build. Farther along than I but I had a floor to repair. That reminds me, since you and are are basically doing the same thing with our AMCs, how much of the old ECE harness did you have to yank out? I feel it’s the same for both of us here. 

Oh and does your Eagle have pipes from the cat to the engine bay?

I haven't started pulling any of the Eagles wiring yet I wanted to get it running first. I do plan to pull everything that has to do with the factory computer just haven't got there yet.

Here is a pic of my engine bay.IMG_20230614_205646663.jpg.3503e638c8326ccd0307cf4c3d254553.jpg

I have an after market cat on mine but I do know what pipes you are talking about. They are a fresh air source so that the cat can operate more effectively. I don't know if they are hooked up to an air pump or not.

25 minutes ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

I haven't started pulling any of the Eagles wiring yet I wanted to get it running first. I do plan to pull everything that has to do with the factory computer just haven't got there yet.

Here is a pic of my engine bay.IMG_20230614_205646663.jpg.3503e638c8326ccd0307cf4c3d254553.jpg

I have an after market cat on mine but I do know what pipes you are talking about. They are a fresh air source so that the cat can operate more effectively. I don't know if they are hooked up to an air pump or not.

Ok that pic might drive me nuts! Hahaha. 

I am glad you know the pipes, for me it looks like the natural vacuum of the engine recycled the fumes from the cat instead of using an air pump. Well that answers my question on what to do with them, cut em off and plug the holes since I probably can't work them into the Renix system. 

Yeah it is not as messy as it looks and it does run. Cutting those pipes off the cat should be fine. You could just replace it with a after market one. Rockauto has lots of universal ones available from $40-$160 depending on what size you need.

29 minutes ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

Yeah it is not as messy as it looks and it does run. Cutting those pipes off the cat should be fine. You could just replace it with a after market one. Rockauto has lots of universal ones available from $40-$160 depending on what size you need.

Yeah that’s one thing you have over me at the moment. I’ve still got lots to swap before I can turn the key. 
Glad universal cats are cheap given with all the thefts and prices climbing of them. 

IMG_0966.jpg.27d2bf501abcf10ae636b0078f49fe6d.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg.dfe04b232d0fe980458d3c6265778d23.jpg

The carb system is out. All that is left to yank is some emissions stuff and the old fuel lines. It still looks like a huge mess, I blame the AC lines and the vac canisters...I don't know how I am gonna fix that eye sore but I know I need to move them for the Renix relay bracket. 

image.jpeg.512d3910ceacbe5c47853bb898137af8.jpeg

Ok so what we see here is just a bare TBI manifold fitted in place. I have learned a few things that kinda have slowed me.

1st: Seems like the first iteration of the 2.5L exhaust manifold is different, there are two support bridges that run from the end exhaust ports to the middle as a form of support. After a few hours of trying and fighting to fit the intake on, I did a study and opened Little Reds hood along with some part number research and have found that the manifolds are the same minus those supports which most likely went away in 86 as Little Red does not have these yet the manifold I got the intake from does which is curious but says made in china while neither on both jeeps have a stamping. Ill also admit I broke one of the dowl rod alignment hole on the intake...but it fits snuggly! heh...hush! I am not proud. 

2nd: EGR pipe from manifold to manifold is actually shorter believe it or not. I was shocked by this so I have to swap that out which with this set up is a royal pain.

3rd: looks like I will be swapping out the mid section exhaust pipe due to the pipes off to the side(that can't be seen) that go to the pass side of the bay by the distributor. If I swap them I won't have to cut and weld any holes and I have a line on this pipe along with a cat.

4: Starter has to be replaced, no questions.

Now I got the compressor for the air suspension in place. It still functions, I need to bolt it down, but Ill do that as I get more stuff removed.

I am stuck between running a later TBI harness or the 86 harness. I am sourcing an 86 harness but I am torn between era correct and practicality. I will be doing some more digging and study of my 87-90 harness as it has been modified which is no big deal, I can fix it. I just don't know what else might be missing from it besides the fuel pump relay. 

God that passenger side is cluttered. 

On 6/14/2023 at 11:03 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Yeah that’s one thing you have over me at the moment. I’ve still got lots to swap before I can turn the key. 
Glad universal cats are cheap given with all the thefts and prices climbing of them. 

They are only cheap if you don't live in a state that has adopted California emissions regulations

• 2 months later...

Update time!!

IMG_1342.jpg.1449cb4211ac0c14707283c0403b6402.jpg

Ok...what are we looking at? The same pic? Kinda, fuel lines are now missing and the EGR tube is now the EFI one.

IMG_1341.jpg.bfd724b8cf752939525c848bd2f69369.jpg

What about here? Easy! Fuel pump has been removed and the EFI distributor is now in place. I am getting closer to getting this XJ set up and ready. I am working on the fuel sending unit and removing the tank breather line to put in the EFI one.  I also forgot to say that the ICM bracket is also in place and has been for a bit. All the holes lined up and no drilling was needed. AMC really thought this ahead.

Fuel lines and vapor line have been swapped into place. I removed the front drive shaft for future removal of trans/t-case. Everything is falling into place. I need to remove the sending unit and put the new EFI unit in the tank.
Once the fuel system is set up, the wiring for the ECU with system sentry will go into place then the intake manifold and then vac lines. Once that’s all set the trans will be dropped to swap bell housings and transfer case. 

Hoooooo got lots done this evening. Fuel filter and bracket, mounted.

IMG_1500.jpg.b9d54e492376c12a2ec4708eec1e68f3.jpg

EFI sending unit, installed

IMG_1501.jpg.3c9ec3ad7b0b29ee2a7df1cc2a5deb0b.jpg

And my suspicion was correct about the gas tank, it is a 20 gallon

IMG_1499.jpg.a280a9bd17e1026b682268357b0dfc09.jpg

And the plastic skid is AMC made, I expected such but it was neat to see the AMC flag

IMG_1502.jpg.f3b6045a7eb5a5f5832a9774033a115f.jpg

Guess I don't have a pic but I started installing the NOS hitch set up, got most done. I still need a OEM bumper to do more. I also got the trailer plug installed and in a body hole that took me a bit to find. Due to the damage the drivers side rear lower(thankfully it is covered by the bumper end caps) made it a challenge to install the harness that has the body plug. Spent 15 min fighting that and straightening the hole to get it pushed in to stay in place. Also found out there was damn near a 1lb of dirt in the fender. don't ask me why or how as I don't know either but thats all out via the two body plugs.

Next is to put the gas tank back in, get the hoses attached and then play with the trailer harness and piggy back off the tail lamp connector as that is how it was done by the factory if you were fortunate enough to have that harness. Easy for me to make as the pack con connectors are very serviceable.

As always cactuscomanche got me once again! Got the gas tank from the 86 XJW with sending unit. Some rust on the bottom but looks mostly surface and is the same capacity. I will repair the original and put it back in one day or keep it out and put the original sending unit with it so both never get lost.

Also got a rear OEM bumper. Needs a slight fixin but other than that it should suit me well vs the pushed in and dented bumper I had. This one is pushed in at the pass end cap but the spare tire carrier might rectify that.

By far the best sending unit I have ever seen. Besides the NOS unit in LR haha.

71737706471__81C3AC7C-F5E6-4D80-BF82-6AB2FD4E9B74.jpg.b1fd5104962ea940d9f926595ce76ae7.jpg

SU is original too!

Tank is clean inside too obviously lol. The outside is much better on the bottom than the original tank but its not leaking which is a big plus to me. The tank did have a dent in it, I hammered it out and threw it all back together. Used the sending unit I put together to syphon the gas out of the old tank and into this one. This should go pretty smooth. Currently working on the bumper area now. Got its issue sorted and should have a spare tire carrier on soon.

Ive been plugging away at the bumper/hitch/spare tire carrier install. Its a pain because its three things at once haha but its nice as its all in one shot ordeal. Bumper is on as is all the hitch stuff, now its just to get the carrier pieces on.

As I painted the bumper and waited for it to dry and cure I decided to address a couple things. One was the annoyance of the front header. All the screws were broken off. I remembered someones post about solving the issue once and for all and I did such today. Love the results!

IMG_1548.jpg.11ce83cfcddad73b798b872be49e4c19.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg.19f1a74fb2be8349eb1b34e9af68ff9e.jpg

Drivers side is done too. Then I decided that if I am gonna go this far, I am gonna address the aging headlamp bezels. And I aim to keep the origianls....or at least what is still good. The drivers side is toast, its done, I broke it, it already had a piece missing but the pass side is still useable. So I recall the issue of finding the right paint color for the darker shade of grey for the bezels. Well I remembered I had a can of mopar touch up that was a bit dark and probably the right color and sure enough! It was a dead on match that I am happy with

IMG_1546.jpg.81a057255619e2695c487d0c2ee00693.jpg

As you can see the condition of the drivers side is on the left and the pass is on the right. The drivers side got painted as a test for this color and on the right is still not painted but enough is left to check for a match. Belive it or not with that age, I see a perfect match! Now I need to find a drivers side bezel, I think I have one laying around. Here is the color code and part number of the paint:

IMG_1547.jpg.e8358d0601e9c52d1c3b9ab112333a93.jpg

It is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1549.jpg.7f260b1470f756e4620dc90437b03a6c.jpg

And of course a mock up with a spare turbine I need to take the paint off of

IMG_1550.jpg.8022cfbf1604c99ffc153af9c3714fd6.jpg

Oh and theres a OEM accessory hitch on now that you can't see very well. Tomorrow I will make the holes for the license plate and lamp. Oooo now I can put my NOS license plate lamp block off plate on too! Now that the rear is mostly done minus the trailer harness that needs to be tied in, I can focus back to the front. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured out where this thing is to be mounted. Course there is no literature anywhere on installing this system yourself. So I got to looking around on the underside, AMC is clever as I finally figured out what the three dots are for on the upper firewall and got to thinking, AMC thought ahead and put dots on where to drill holes and holes for bolts to go through etc. I looked up at the floor and saw two holes and the seat belt bolt that caught my eye, looked to the other side and noted there was only one eye by the seat belt bolt. "This has to be it." Looked at the parts book and found the bracket to have two bolts holes going through the bracket but to where. 

IMG_1715.jpg.26b4e8b7e22bc7fbe5f4e97eab947f52.jpg

This spot has to be it, I cannot see this going anywhere else. So now I have to make an arm that will bolt to the sensor and push rod so that it will actuate when the XJ is low to trigger the compressor for more air.