Chunk, A 1984 XJ

Mine came out of an 89 grand wagoneer and was the same size as the NP129 I pulled out of my Eagle. It has the same bolt pattern and input splines and shaft size as the NP231 and NP242 I have had in my Comanche. I haven't ever had a 207 but thought all of them would interchange given you have the right input shaft.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

Mine came out of an 89 grand wagoneer and was the same size as the NP129 I pulled out of my Eagle. It has the same bolt pattern and input splines and shaft size as the NP231 and NP242 I have had in my Comanche. I haven't ever had a 207 but thought all of them would interchange given you have the right input shaft.

Hmmm. Perhaps I need to give it a shot then and see. 

Ok so I found out the 229 will line up, but the output shaft to the trans is too small and the shift rail bolt plug is stopping it from fully seating. So I will still be going the route of getting a t-case from a yard. 

On the bright side, I found the plug for the sensor on the trans

EBB7BF5E-A43E-46AF-84B4-C16AB135E74A.jpeg

I also found out this trans can not have the up-shift lamp switch unless I drilled and tapped the hole and well, i dont need the lamp haha. 

Some helpful info on NP-242's...I am currently doing a build with one as well. Was considering the 229 before hand but it had a lack of info, and the 242 is much better documented, proven, and available.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

NP23X & NP24X info is generally interchangeable when it comes to input shafts I have read.

image.png.28a7900a4564c2ea22bacd2e600eea94.png

13 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

207 goin back in. AX5 won't accept any variant of the 228/9. Neither will the AX15, fun fact. But we may have found a way to still have "selec-trac" and have the 207 at the same time. 

FSJ Guys have done the NP229 to AX-15 build and have it documented. I kind of remember those having to machine a spacer due to the input shaft retainer on the T-case protruding.

Novak sells this kit for AX5/15 to NP208/228/229

19 minutes ago, Comanche SS said:

sells this kit for AX5/15 to NP208/228/229

They don’t offer the shaft extender anymore. I further appreciate the research. I’ve decided to stay as original and era correct with the equipment on this build along with having the early year oddities. 

24 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

They don’t offer the shaft extender anymore. I further appreciate the research. I’ve decided to stay as original and era correct with the equipment on this build along with having the early year oddities. 

Ah, gotcha. Hopefully the link above for the 242 helps you find what you need. 

It helped me narrow down what I needed for the 23 spline AX-15 build I am doing.

13 minutes ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

Another option to use the 229, is to find a Borg warner T5 out of a 84+ 2.5 liter CJ5/7. Should bolt right up.

Indeed! But, I’m going fuel injection and need the CPS opening from the bell. Did the YJ get the AX5 with the TBI? 

• 3 weeks later...

OH F THE HELL YES!!! WE ARE IN BUSINESS GENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so for about a week or so now I have been fighting with the XJ not starting. Went down a list of things and found that the fuel smelled pretty damn close to paint thinner(few nights ago). I collected a sample of the gas and it just would not light on fire. Ok that confirms it, old gas. So I drained the tank last night, put new fuel in. Tried again. No go. Ok what the hell now?! So I went over some things in my head then thought about the timing as I was laying in bed. I literally dropped the distributor in and rolled with it. Stupid me! I shouldve known better. Ugh. Ok so I popped Little Reds hood open and removed the distributor cap and did the same to Chunk and mirrored the position. Done!

Try to go again and I got a couple pops and fire balls. Ok thats not right. Checked the timing again and it was 180* out. Ok what the hell? Why? Put it back. Tried again and OH HELL YES!!!!!! Turns out I have a vacuum leak still. Its the damn full manifold gasket which sucks on the 2.5L.

Could never get it to seal correctly or line up on Little Red and I decided to give that one a chance again and it failed. It has a leak at the intake manifold at Cyl 3 & 4. So back to the factory style gasket! 

But hell yes! This is a big win I needed.

Indeed it is!

Just gotta wait for the factory manifold gasket and I can button up everything in the engine bay. 

I’m still waiting on the down pipe. I really don’t want to modify my old one, but I might if I don’t want to wait much longer. 

Then I can start putting goodies on. 

IMG_2480.jpg

Hey, its starting to look like an engine bay! 

New gasket showed up, got that in, sounds like it solved my vac leak.

Now to start buttoning things up and hope to get the pipe soon so I can start attaching accessories and what not. 

Also replaced the upper radiator hose. It was bothering me that it was replaced with a stupid generic flexible pipe.