Chunk, A 1984 XJ

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Looking mostly there lol. Went to change the shift knob out and discovered the threads have been completely sheared off the stick. 

Every time I do one thing it’s got story behind it lol.

I had to charge the battery due to some neglect from someone starting him once a week but things in WA seem to corrode pretty damn fast. Also neglecting changing the ground cable, but I have to lay on the wet grass to get to the bolt. Aw hell I might do it anyways tomorrow. 

Also there will be a tour tour video of chunk come tomorrow. This was a completely short planned visit but it’s my girls birthday and I have a three day weekend from work and decided it would be nice to go for the weekend. 

Nice , it’s always something lol , can’t wait to see more on the beauty 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Fernando87mj said:

Nice , it’s always something lol , can’t wait to see more on the beauty 

It always is lol. Never ends. Can’t wait to show you guys more and what I find for the XJs. 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

welcome to old Jeep ownership :D 

Lol very true. 

Lol no excuses, just ran out of time

The brush guard is sitting happily in the dry garage against a tower of take of rims and tires at their house. I am very excited to get that guard down here come May and work on it. I often daydream about having that guard installed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I learned something today just as I started looking for gear ratios. Now this might be common knowledge or it might not be, but I pretty certain that before the Chrysler buy out AMC sold its axle tooling to Dana/Spicer Corp. Anyways Chunk has an AMC 35. Now both axles are the same but they are identifiable by the cover. Like how an AMC20 has those little valleys between each bolt, the 35 is the same way. Now I wish I had a pic of his rear axle but I do not but do very much recall it being an AMC35. Kinda neat. 

5 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I’m guessing this rear end has comparable strength to the D35 seeing as though the AMC 35 became the Dana 35. Is that correct or was the AMC 35 a decent rear axle?

I would say that the early ones were probably decent and the AMC made ones were probably comparable to the D35 or slightly better but they’re the same axle. 

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

are you referring to the introduction of dana 35c?  (C meaning "custom" not C-clips)

Not sure as I’ve never heard of the D35c but I know in the catalog there’s two different axles that could be had and it shows the AMC35 and the D35 as two different axles despite being basically the same. Not sure what makes them different internally. 

found in a search:

DANA 35c

The Dana 35c has a 7 9/16" ring and pinion and uses one piece axles (2.625" in diameter). Starting in 1990 Jeep switched to an inferior C-clip Dana 35c. The "c" in Dana 35c does not stand for C-clip, it stands for custom. They are custom because they are shipped incomplete from the Dana factory to Chysler and Chrysler completes the build. The two versions have different shafts, bearings, and carrier. There is a C-clip elminator kit available for the Dana 35c. The Dana 35c is probably on the small side for hard four wheeling with larger tires and lockers. If these are your intentions, you might be better off swapping in a Dana 44 or better.

Early YJs built from '87 until '89 used a 10" rear drum instead of the 9" drum used in the later YJ and TJ Dana 35c. The axle in the picture above has the 10" drums.

The R&P ratio ranges supported by the carriers are 2.73-3.31 and 3.55-4.56.

The Dana 35c is the axle used in all YJs (Wrangler) from '87-'95 and it is the standard axle in the TJ (Wrangler), ZJ (Grand Cherokee), MJ (Comanche), and XJ (Cherokee). The Dana 44 is an optional axle on the TJ, ZJ, MJ, and XJ. Some XJs were built with the corporate Chrysler 8.25 axle as standard. The TJ and ZJ versions are coil sprung, the XJ version is leaf sprung (spring over), and the YJ and MJ versions are leaf sprung (spring under).

10 Bolt Cover

Vehicle Model Year:

Jeep Comanche MJ 1986-92 Dana 35C (C-clip 1990-92)

Jeep Cherokee XJ '84-

Jeep Wrangler YJ '87-'95

Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ '93-

Jeep Wrangler TJ '97-

Not to be Debbie Downer, but different doesn't mean better. Look at the AMC 20. Same center section, but there are at least 3 versions, with different levels of apparent strength. The CJ AMC 20 was notorious for it's two piece axles, thin weak tubes and plug welds. But the center section is actually stronger than the Dana 44 Center Section, with a larger ring gear and bearings. The Full Size Jeep AMC 20 is apparently stronger than the Dana 44, with it's larger ring gear and thicker tubes, but still has the same plug weld design. And then there is the MJ AMC 20. I would guess it probably has thicker axle tubes, but who knows what AMC was thinking then.

Who knows what level of incomplete the Dana 35 was delivered at, and how AMC finished it.

Oh I know and I’m not expecting anything out the axle like it’s a 44 or a 20. The catalog shows two different styles and on reading up on the 35, it evolved from an AMC15 that was used in the early days of AMC until AMC sold their axle tooling to Dana in 85. So it could’ve been made in house, or it could’ve been made as a husk by Dana and then AMC finished it. Who absolutely knows like you said. Catalog literally says AMC or Dana Model 35, I could speculate that both made axles to keep up with the demand of the 35 as that was the only axle under the XJ until 87.