Chunk, A 1984 XJ

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Also found a few things I have never seen before:

854C0B1D-8AFB-49C9-97BE-0509F57CD083.jpeg.20f71ebae56cb829ad77b330ed67abc6.jpeg

B70AEEED-C217-465D-B4AC-C262DACB997E.jpeg.eb6ff9d3225a0d52d17b3d4af488af98.jpeg

cigar lighter delete plate. Never seen one before. 

I think the PO fussed with the carb wayyyyy too much. He told me he went from the factory one barrel to a new OEM carb to a two barrel holly carb. I am finding wayyy too many vac hoses that should go back to autozone and other misc parts. So far most the interior is there. I’ll have to make a couple tour videos later once I get him cleaned up and done. I still need to sit down and do the window. 

Learned that the PO went down to an AMC dealer back in the day and bought a remote mirror kit to replace the mirror delete on the pass side. Pretty cool. Also bought interior paint but sadly it has no pressure to spray so I can’t do much but the interior is almond. 

F3DF3EEE-BF37-46E7-AEEB-6CA4B29EB4B6.jpeg.c154a07fbbb43fe3849922d2641159e0.jpeg0B5C0565-DC81-45DE-9E46-9A5A3AA0D813.jpeg.2fd313f994a72e6aaf3914e5c95a51fa.jpeg

D773337B-68BE-46BD-98D8-284353C9FC95.jpeg.329604b08e9bad68fad97edbf6106c7b.jpegCBF2B922-13B1-4AF4-A55A-DE373181012B.jpeg.add83987391b08dce6f62452ae3265b8.jpeg

Also cleaned up the horn button. Horn button doesn’t have the horn logo on it which is probably unique to the early years. 

My 87 MJ (base model) had the cigarette lighter delete panel on it.  The wiring for the socket should be there behind the plate.

(It also had an AM-only radio.....it was a very "base" model, lol)

I can't imagine a 2.5L running anywhere near good with a 2BBL carb on it, regardless of brand.  I'd think way too much CFM.

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

My 87 MJ (base model) had the cigarette lighter delete panel on it.  The wiring for the socket should be there behind the plate.

(It also had an AM-only radio.....it was a very "base" model, lol)

I can't imagine a 2.5L running anywhere near good with a 2BBL carb on it, regardless of brand.  I'd think way too much CFM.

Well the PO swapped it out. I’ve just never seen one lol. 

I think this XJ is really really base when it started. 

But yeah that’s why I plan to move to TBI. I don’t like how the carb feels in terms of power as with response in throttle but the Renix I’m much more familiar with and is like windows XP of the Jeep world lol. 

That’s some pretty rare Mopar accessory body side molding. Only available in 1989/90. I’ve never seen it on any Jeep on the road/ junkyard. Nice find. They had the same available for short and long bed MJs. 

9 minutes ago, Gjeep said:

That’s some pretty rare Mopar accessory body side molding. Only available in 1989/90. I’ve never seen it on any Jeep on the road/ junkyard. Nice find. They had the same available for short and long bed MJs. 

You know, that makes sense why there’s an MJ on the instructions. Neat! I have some samples still left from the 2 door/4 door molding piece. 

Welp just about everything I could do has been done, fixed the garbage idle after slightly warm, headlamp harness is done, engine bay cleaned up. . Other stuff is planned for him like Renix TBI swap as the carb set up is garbage, fix the interior and rotted floors. I noticed that 84-86 seems to be lacking some plugs like an ash tray light and sentinel headlamp plug. Not sure why despite the lower dash panel having a hole for the ash tray light. 84 oddities. He definitely needs some work but he is a survivor. Don’t come across many 84 or 85 XJs that have survived. 

My so far concern is the accuracy in oil pressure and temp gauges, there’s no way it runs with 60 PSI for oil and around 175 for temp unless the PO swapped the T-stat. 

If the senders are Mopar, it's within the realm of possibility I guess.

A 4.0 with a healthy bottom end is generally capable of around 50-60 psi at cold start and I imagine a 2.5 isn't too much different. IMO a properly functioning cooling system should cover up the "2" on a "210" gauge when fully warmed up and not significantly deviate. Didn't the older XJs have 220 as the center point of the temp gauge though?

39 minutes ago, Minuit said:

If the senders are Mopar, it's within the realm of possibility I guess.

A 4.0 with a healthy bottom end is generally capable of around 50-60 psi at cold start and I imagine a 2.5 isn't too much different. IMO a properly functioning cooling system should cover up the "2" on a "210" gauge when fully warmed up and not significantly deviate. Didn't the older XJs have 220 as the center point of the temp gauge though?

See I'm not terribly sure about them being OEM or not but I would have to guess yes. I did find the original water pump in the back so something makes me think the PO changed out the pump due to an overheating issue but then swapped in a lower t-stat. Yeah this older cluster goes to 220 which yeah would cover up the two and Oil goes from 0-60-120. Granted ruing a 60psi for a 300k original engine that’s pretty damn good. 

23 minutes ago, 70barracuda said:

My 2.5 ran a solid 60 psi with 200,000+ on it so it's plausible I guess. Idk how accurate my gauge was but it didn't make any noise 

I know my MJ will be right around 50-60 at cold and come down to 40 while driving around and 30 after freeway driving. 

Just took a drive around though to get gas, tach probably isn’t incredibly accurate, speedo is kinda scary. It literally floats after 40. Found out he’s got a 20gal tank. 

Well with a nearly four hour road trip to the XJW with @SoCalManche after picking him up, we got hell of a haul, did a couple upgrades to chunk right then and there like the headlight chime. Chunk has probably some trans leak somewhere and the HVAC has a terrible leak or maybe the windshield area but that will be fixed at some point down the line. Other than that he made it pretty well with the gutless 2bbl. 

Here’s the mighty haul:

EEE68103-44B2-49F2-AD85-47397B63F7E4.jpeg.6eb577f7c39b093a8a3dc5c33b79dedb.jpeg

12 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well with a nearly four hour road trip to the XJW with @SoCalManche after picking him up, we got hell of a haul, did a couple upgrades to chunk right then and there like the headlight chime. Chunk has probably some trans leak somewhere and the HVAC has a terrible leak or maybe the windshield area but that will be fixed at some point down the line. Other than that he made it pretty well with the gutless 2bbl. 

Here’s the mighty haul:

EEE68103-44B2-49F2-AD85-47397B63F7E4.jpeg.6eb577f7c39b093a8a3dc5c33b79dedb.jpeg

I’m seeing 2 dudes, an XJ, a XJ Waggy header panel and grille (I think) and a transfer case. What all did you get?

3 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I’m seeing 2 dudes, an XJ, a XJ Waggy header panel and grille (I think) and a transfer case. What all did you get?

Lol. I snagged a lot of wiring, some rear interior pieces, cruise control stuff, full blue cluster, lighted visor and I’m sure I’m missing a few odds and ends pieces but yeah SoCal got the header and t-case and a few other small pieces as well. 

23 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Lol. I snagged a lot of wiring, some rear interior pieces, cruise control stuff, full blue cluster, lighted visor and I’m sure I’m missing a few odds and ends pieces but yeah SoCal got the header and t-case and a few other small pieces as well. 

Jackpot!

Well I wanted to do a video before I left WA but I forgot. Oh well hopefully I will see him again sometime soon. My overall thoughts on the XJ? Actually pretty nice ride, kinda what I was expecting, the speedo cable makes the speedo swim around after 50mph, 2.5L really needs fuel injection. Overall it was fun and definitely worth buying it but does need a lot of work to bring back into spec. As he sits with SoCals 242 in the rear, it’s sagging lol. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Fernando87mj said:

How’s the good ol girl looking ? 

Looking mostly there lol. Went to change the shift knob out and discovered the threads have been completely sheared off the stick. 

Every time I do one thing it’s got story behind it lol.

I had to charge the battery due to some neglect from someone starting him once a week but things in WA seem to corrode pretty damn fast. Also neglecting changing the ground cable, but I have to lay on the wet grass to get to the bolt. Aw hell I might do it anyways tomorrow. 

Also there will be a tour tour video of chunk come tomorrow. This was a completely short planned visit but it’s my girls birthday and I have a three day weekend from work and decided it would be nice to go for the weekend.