license plate decisions...

Pete M

The new truck isn't in my driveway yet, so I still have some time to figure out what to do about plates for it.  An 88 is old enough for historic plates in Michigan (my official place of residence), but the truck will forever be in Georgia (I have no access to sheltered parking in MI).  I think I might have some future complications because of the restrictions on "historic" rides and the fact that no matter where I'm going I'll never be going to or from my "place of residence" 750 miles away.  Money aside, I think I might want to go with a regular plate just to not ever worry about that.  Plus "OLDJEEP" is available as a michigan plate. :D  can't find anything that says I can have both historic and personalized.

any thoughts on going the historic route?

on a side note I learned that, as a historic vehicle, I can use an original 1988 plate on my truck for authenticity. :D   Bummer is that michigan only had the "blue plates" by 88, which are kinda boring.  :dunno:

On 4/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, Pete M said:

it would appear someone already took "LICENSE".   :roflmao:

AMCJEEP is available, but the truck is an 88 and I'm not sure I want to have that discussion of semantics over and over. :doh:

Eh, I think it qualifies. Anyone who tries to argue about it with you isn't worth talking to anyway. :D

For what it's worth, I'd go for a normal, non-antique plate any day of the week. I don't want to worry about whether I'm legally allowed to drive my truck that particular day. Plus the TN plates from '88 (the year I'd be required to use) are nothing to write home about.

Before deciding, look into insurance. You may get a significant break if you get the early American plates.

On that topic -- several years ago I inquired with two companies that at that time were the two major companies writing insurance for antique motor vehicles. Neither of them would issue a policy on anything with 4-wheel drive. Does anyone know of any classic car insurer that will cover 4WD vehicles? I may just have to register and insure the '88 Sportruck before I do the 4WD conversion.

@Pete M  thanks for getting the topic going, I’m looking into registering my ‘86 in mass with antique plates, it currently has Utah plates and she’s staying here. Was in between “86 MJ” and AMCJEEP but i think mass only allows 6 characters. @EagleThanks for the heads up about antique insurance for 4wds👍🏼 

I had Jeep MJ here in VA for many years and took them off so my son can get his own custom plates since it's his DD until he goes off to school. He never chose anything so when I went back to get that plate again..........TAKEN!! :brickwall:

Pete, how about CC Chief? Or HMJIC (Head MJ In Charge!) Too bad we're not a J10 group, you could get HD HONCHO :laugh:

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Before deciding, look into insurance. You may get a significant break if you get the early American plates.

On that topic -- several years ago I inquired with two companies that at that time were the two major companies writing insurance for antique motor vehicles. Neither of them would issue a policy on anything with 4-wheel drive. Does anyone know of any classic car insurer that will cover 4WD vehicles? I may just have to register and insure the '88 Sportruck before I do the 4WD conversion.

Eagle, your vin will say it’s 2wd, that’s all they’ll go by unless they inspect it.

Antique vehicles are appraised, not inspected. 

In TN for example,. antique tags are a single fee tag, that's why the restrictions. 

In TN the tag can be taken from you if you violate the restrictions in which case you reapply for a new standard tag.......not a big deal. 

You don't need to, but you can, use the year of manufacture tag or you can get a plain 'antique' tag. 

I thought about it......eh......ain't worth it. Rather pretentious anyway. 

I don't really know what restrictions you have on your "antique" plates, whatever the term may be in your jurisdiction, but here (and anywhere else I've registered a vehicle) they're pretty seriously restrictive. Participation in a parade, club event, an exhibition, and transport to and from any of those events or a mechanic shop. The last jurisdiction I was in sets a mileage cap as well that is less than I've managed to accumulate more than once on a two-week road trip, and also requires maintaining an appraised value over $5000. The accompanying insurance is dirt cheap because it covers almost no use except display, and as a result if something happens and you can't prove you were operating within the restricted use of the plate, you won't be covered. 

I realise it's not like that everywhere, and Manitoba is a little more strict than some because the antique plate allows you to forgo the provincial safety inspection, but it's something to think about. 

yeah, the more I think of it, the more I'm leaning towards a regular plate.  the hassle of antique just isn't worth the savings.  and someday I want to show up at Lowes with a MJ towing an MJ trailer just because. :D 

random things I've learned today while screwing around with the search:

-plenty of number-letter combos aren't allowed (for example, "1988 MJ" is not allowed simply because it's 4 numbers followed by 2 letters)

-1234567 is taken

-7654321 is deemed "inappropriate"

-123456 is not allowed because it's 6 numbers

-SAMPLE is inappropriate

-PLATE is taken

-0000000 and 1111111 are taken

-8888888 is "inappropriate" 

-IH8YOU is available

-IH8YOU2 is taken

-GLDIATR is taken

-JPTRUCK is taken

-0111110 and 011110 are taken

-REALTRK is taken

-BESTDAMNTRUCKEVER doesn't fit in their little box for some reason :dunno:

I love it where your heads at, but it's not 4wd. :D   Not really a shocker, but 2WDJEEP is available :roflmao:  (That's actually tempting, just for the LOLs...)

I'm warming up to AMCJEEP.  :dunno:   feels like a good way to give props to the company that designed it.  :grinyes: