license plate decisions...

Pete M

I love the movies, but I'm not quite sure I can get away with that level of fandom.  :dunno:  cool idea though.  I could have one rig as a jedi and one as a sith :D 

what about "MANCHE6"?  it would be my 6th MJ so far. (6.5 technically)

I'm still leaning to a plate that acknowledges the history somehow.  This truck is right out of the 80s   :comanche:  

On insurance and antique tags-

You can, at least in FL and TN and I suspect most SE states, register an antique tag without insuring as an antique or classic, one really has nothing to do with the other. 

The reason you'll want to insure as a classic is value. I suspect if your truck is stolen or totaled most insurance companies will total you out under $2500, probably closer to $1600. For those who restore or resto-mod classics, you will easily invest 10s of thousands of dollars, that's why insurance companies will appraise your truck. 

If you think the antique tags are restrictive wait till you read your insurance policy, you will be told how and where you will store your truck, how and when you may use it, whether it can be driven or must be trailered, restrictions on mileage.....etc...you'll even have to get a writer for an 'unattended' truck at an event. 

My new wheels will be here tomorrow, I'll have more invested in wheels and tires than the truck is worth.......hell......I have more invested in my steering column than most of you payed for your entire truck. 

One of the things I'll have to look into is insuring my truck some other way, an umbrella policy under my homeowners insurance or.....? IDK, I'll have to look into it, just to insure the value of property in addition to auto insurance. I'm with Erie Insurance and they do write for antiques, I've called and asked but did not take it further, they wanted to order an appraisal......that would be embarrassing at this point, maybe when finished. 

As for personalized tags, I've had those in FL, AAMEMBR on my truck and ISOBER2 on my bike. I can be rather creative when I want to be and I have some ideas for my MJ.......we'll see when the time comes. 

Here my tags are $24 per year, personalized are just over $100 IIRC.......in FL it was about $250 for both tags, fun in the beginning but writing that check will wear the fun off quickly. 

2 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

On insurance and antique tags-

You can, at least in FL and TN and I suspect most SE states, register an antique tag without insuring as an antique or classic, one really has nothing to do with the other. 

The reason you'll want to insure as a classic is value.

Each state is different, of course. While in Connecticut I can get Early American (I think they recently changed it to Classic Vehicle) tags for all years of MJ and still use my regular insurance company, it's not correct that "one really has nothing to do with the other." I can put regular insurance on a vehicle with classic or early American tags, but I can't buy classic car insurance if I don't have classic or early American tags.

Florida nicks you extra for personalized tags every time you renew? In Connecticut it's a one-time charge, when the tags are issued. Renewal is at the same rate as everyone else.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Each state is different, of course. While in Connecticut I can get Early American (I think they recently changed it to Classic Vehicle) tags for all years of MJ and still use my regular insurance company, it's not correct that "one really has nothing to do with the other." I can put regular insurance on a vehicle with classic or early American tags, but I can't buy classic car insurance if I don't have classic or early American tags.

Florida nicks you extra for personalized tags every time you renew? In Connecticut it's a one-time charge, when the tags are issued. Renewal is at the same rate as everyone else.

Well, OK, you can't get a classic tag if you don't have a classic truck, either. 

Yes, every year. 

Same with vanity tags as well as specialty tags.......TN has over 100 different specialty tags available.

We had specialty tags when we first moved here, those were about $100 annually also. 

after learning what it would take to get my new truck properly covered in michigan, we're now debating making it my father's truck and plating it in Georgia.  still limited to 7 characters, but now MANCHE is available. :D  but I don't think I can get away with AMCJEEP since they specifically ban trademarked words. :fistshake2: I guess I could still do AMC JP but I like it less.  I could do something like JPTRUCK and maybe crush some future gladiator owners' dreams.  :roflmao:

4 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

RLJPTRK

If you didn't know already. Just seeing "Manche"  drives me insane. I don't know why it irritates me but it sure as hell does. It is really that much harder to say the extra syllable?

Must be that the extra two letters are too burdensome to type ... or something.

I agree with you.

the tag is badly faded but I was able to make out that my truck was built in May of 88 which shoots down my "LASTAMC" idea.  damn.  I really like that one.   I still could go for something like "88 AMC" in protest of chrysler's acquisition. :grinyes:

The vanity plate route can really add up money wise, I've had BUDWISR plates on my Jeep Wrangler since 87 and at an extra $100 a year I have $3000 in having the plate. At 30 years , I switched to antique plates and run my original BUDWISR plates as YOM plates. Now I pay $30 for 5 years, so that helps even things out a little. :)