keeping the diesel warm...

Pete M

any ideas out there for getting my CRD KJ up to "normal" operating temps in the frigid temps?  I've blocked the grill as best I can with cardboard, but I'll be danged if I can keep it at even 1/4 on the temp gauge.  :dunno:   Fortunately the interior heat works great and it's just my fuel economy that suffers.  :doh: 

any ideas out there for getting my CRD KJ up to "normal" operating temps in the frigid temps?  I've blocked the grill as best I can with cardboard, but I'll be danged if I can keep it at even 1/4 on the temp gauge.  :dunno:   Fortunately the interior heat works great and it's just my fuel economy that suffers.  :doh: 

Can you start a small, controlled fire under the hood every time you drive it? Possibly coal fed...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah a block heater makes a difference, if not getting you to operating temps, you will at least see warmer temps than you are now. 

Is the cardboard on the grill or the radiator?  If you put it directly against the rad, it will block more air.  Keeping your interior heat off while it heats up will help too.

the cardboard is behind the grille and on the left and right 3rds (e fan blocks the center), as close as I can get to the rad, but it doesn't touch.

and I've only got 1 surviving glow plug :(  so a block heater is in play anytime I'm stopped longer than an hour or 2 or else I'm pretty screwed.  :grinyes: 

I may try to wrap the grille completely with some fabric and see if that makes a difference while driving.  going down to 10 tonight.  :sad2: 

4 hours ago, Ωhm said:

What's your water to antifreeze ratio? Antifreeze is also a coolant.

um... factory?  :dunno:

I have a feeling that he t-stat needs replacing. :dunno:  it's probably stuck open.  there's no way in hell I'm doing that now though. :D  that's a job for 2 weeks from now when I'm back in GA.

I would definitely agree with the installation of a block heater and winter grille cover to help with your temperature. Living out in northern Idaho I deal with the cold all the time and not having a decent block heater can be a major issue in itself. I know when my dads 7.3 powerstroke block heater went out a month ago it noticeable to say the least, the blasted thing wouldn't start no matter how many times you cycled the glow plugs, which were less than 6 months old. I would suggest that you get those glow plugs replaced asap though, even during summer months when you wouldn't think you are using them they are still important and can shorten your diesel's life if they aren't working properly.

Diesel gels at +20°F? good thing no one's told the stuff in our above-ground tanks at work that spent most nights between -20° and -45°F the last month... :roflmao:

All the diesels in our fleet have winter fronts on them. The cooling systems are just so effective they just won't stay warm, even if they're parked in a heated space overnight. Block heater, functional thermostat with the appropriate temperature, and functional glow plugs are a must. 

almost forgot to plug in the Jeep last night. :doh:   got in and took off my coat and boots before I had that nagging thought if I did it or not. 

that would have sucked.  :laugh:   it's a balmy 9* outside.  I wonder how long the heater would have taken to get it to starting temp...

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, jdog said:

Block heater with a generator on a stand off the trailer hitch?

That's a solid plan. Maybe you could put a space heater under the hood too with an extension cord running over the top of the Jeep to the generator too.

That's a solid plan. Maybe you could put a space heater under the hood too with an extension cord running over the top of the Jeep to the generator too.

Just tow one of these behind you with cords running from it to the space heaters.e50755b2da6c9e7f8c05e8dc4385336d.jpg

On 3/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, ftpiercecracker1 said:

How is this possible in the first place? I guess the thermostat even fully closed is still letting to much coolant through?

I know it can happen, but I thought it took temps deep into the negatives before lack of engine temp became a problem.

Most diesels have a bypass circuit on the tstat so they're always moving water.  It helps to regulate temperature in NORMAL conditions, but when it's cold it just means they can't warm up.

I'd park it and drive a gasser.  It's part of the reason I sold off my Cummins crap after running them for so many years.

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'd park it and drive a gasser.  It's part of the reason I sold off my Cummins crap after running them for so many years.

not really an option when it's the only ride I brought up here. :D    but winter is almost over, right?  almost?  over?  any day now?  :(  

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

Most diesels have a bypass circuit on the tstat so they're always moving water.  It helps to regulate temperature in NORMAL conditions, but when it's cold it just means they can't warm up.

And just where in the blue blazes have you been, lol?